Early 911 wanted! | FerrariChat

Early 911 wanted!

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jun 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Hello, I am looking for unrestored, First paint 911's, 63 to 73.
    Presse send me a PM of you van help.

Thank's and greetings :)

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Check with Brian Doherty at CPR Classic: Porsche 911 For Sale - CPR Classic

Almost all of the early 911s have been repainted, but he comes across the occasional survivor. I think his aubergine 911T may be original.

3. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Thank you, Looks interesting. Hard to find ...

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  5. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Thank you toggie

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

CPR seems to be THE west coast Porsche resto shop. I will someday send them my 930 for a nut / bolt resto and proceed to park the car in the living room for all to enjoy:)

7. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    They are so much fun to drive! Just think whet Ferry would do if he woke up and saw your car acting as a piece of furniture. He would smack you and tell you that the cars are built to be driven and enjoyed. Well actually, he would probably say "beautiful car, it's one of my favorites." But that's not the point ;)

8. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    still interested ...

9. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    I bought the 1991 turbo on page two from John, very knowledgable guy, and vehicle matched its advertisement. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again if I was in the market.

10. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    for perspective:
    wow...not many of those around.....BIG money these days...first paint cars mean original floors in front...only soCal and AZ cars that I've seen....
    I've been hunting for 20 yrs for these, and have not found an honest, original car yet...

They ARE out there, and admittedly I chase Ferraris-FULL-time, but these have gone from 50K in early 90s, to multi 6 figures recently...
    And, most are NOT as advertised-so to speak....

Honestly, a 1st paint, US spec, Fibreglass GTB with ALL smog parts intact and functional, with BTRs, 1-2 owners, is easier find than these, in my experience...

For example: the Daytona at MTY auction sat morning that hmmered at 421K (all in?) was "ONLY" 75K more than a 27K mile, all orig ist paint 1 owner '69 S coupe with S/R and all the trimmin's..!!!!!!!!!!!

I probably wont find another S like this again(Dk Olive green)...but the values are all out of whack-IMO

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #11 Bullfighter, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    They have a white '75 930 on offer at $325,000. I nearly choked when they emailed me about it. Nut-and-bolt restoration, and I've seen the car -- it's as good as any 991 you'll find in your local dealer showroom -- but, wow...

12. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My sense is that you're right, values are seriously high -- and maybe some of the recent buyers are seriously high. But my experience with the early Porsches is that these are the only really usable vintage/classic sports cars out there. Mileage doesn't even hurt values all that much, although a 27K-mile '69 911S is probably a time capsule situation where you wouldn't want to drive it into the ground and then rebuild.

Plus, they sound amazing, parts are relatively cheap and available, and they are massively fun to drive. I love Daytonas, but you need a lot of freeway to wring it out, and I can't imagine driving one around town.

And if I blow the engine in my Speedster the rebuild cost would be about as much as a major service on a Daytona. The value in the early Porsches is pretty compelling, IMHO.

13. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
  14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Considering how much expensive bad news can be hidden on any vintage Porsche body, I think it would take a lot of faith in their two-sentence description. I would certainly get it inspected, but considering the prices of SWB 911s (and any open 356 these days) I'd want to see bare metal pics or examine it closely from underneath.

Also the paint is poorly matched on the passenger side (?)

Good luck.

15. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I know the market is changing all the time, but is it accurate to say that unrestored, original paint, "survivor" 911 between 1963-73 is a 200K plus car and if it were a S 300-400K? I know restored ones go for less but restored cars are always worth less than survivors.
    I live in AZ. and have been messing about with Porsche's for 30 years and I know of only one unrestored, original paint, early Porsche, a soft window targa but a 912. I would guess that is a 60K plus car now? The issue with early 911's is they were so cheap for so long a lot were cut up and modified like VW's.

16. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Hmmm, funny you should mention that.

We have a 69 911S, 60k mi survivor in Continental Orange (or Tangerine) with creame interior. Never cut or modified, original floors, pan, seat pans etc.. There has been some paint work on the drivers rear 1/4 for unknown reason. However inspection shows that panel is original without bondo holes etc..

Car was local to us while in high school, owner passed away some years ago and car found to still be with family and sitting, garaged, for a number of years. Work is presently being done to slowly bring the car back to life.

The car is not being restored, only being brought back to running condition.. it is very presentable as is and will probably be sold once running.

If interested, either PM or email me with your contact info..

Thx

17. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
  18. aerokurt

aerokurt Rookie

Feb 4, 2011
    SW Fla & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Gone already!

19. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Interesting discussion, more of this please, thank you

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I bought an original paint 1967 a couple of months ago. Original everything. I don't know if I would go as far as to call it a survivor. Most of the parts were barely salvageable but the tub was amazing: never hit, rust confined only to the floors, and very solid.

You know what I did with it? Took it to the blasters so I could start restoring it as a proper hot rod.

Sometimes they're just not worth keeping original.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't think rusty, faded, decrepit cars are "original" anyway. Unless they were beat up when new.

If you showed my pre-restored Speedster to a guy from the 1950s the first thing he'd say is, "Jeez, your car is a friggin' disaster -- fix it and paint, for crying out loud..."

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I wish I could show you the MB Gullwing that sold for almost $2M at Gooding this past weekend.

But, yes, I agree with that. I don't see why people don't like restored cars. You can rebuild some of these cars using correct and genuine parts and using today's advanced techniques get something so much more robust, reliable, and in many cases, beautiful.

23. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    @ #24, I totaly agree!