Life with a turbo Porsche ? | FerrariChat

Life with a turbo Porsche ?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by thecarreaper, Aug 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #1 thecarreaper, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You may point fingers and make fun of me.

i bought a 911/930 Slopenose conversion. Car is a REPLICA of a Ruf BTR. I want to find the RUF Speedline 5 stars as soon as possible, as I dislike the Kinesis wheels.

If you dont like the RUF badges on the car, keep your pie hole shut and stay out of my thread.

I am looking for advice from actual owners and drivers of modded Turbo 930's. I have had a lot of cars, a few turbo cars , but nothing like this.

I want to thank Mike Callas at Rennsport in Texas for his time on the phone thus far, explaining to me all the stuff they have done on this car.

I am hoping to get a detailed list of parts used and work done so that i may maintain the car to the same level they have.

Thank you to "Crazyhorse" on Pelican for building such a cool car, I totally get what his vision was for the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    What advice/information are you looking for?

3. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #3 thecarreaper, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    Lotus turbos are fun, ( had 2) but are not 930's.

Are these cars hard to shift?

Do they hate traffic?

I should mention I have never sat in a turbo 930, much less a modded one.

I have owned 8 or 9 regular 911's.

How does one manage the turbo lag?

I have no intention of driving like an idiot on public roads. But I was told this car makes 650 hp on high boost. I cannot confirm or prove that at this point, but that is what the seller told me on the phone Friday. Going to talk to Mike Callas again at Rennsport. They are going to give me a detailed breakdown on what was done.

PS: How the hell do you get over 400-500 HP from a 3.5 liter flat 6 anyway?

magic pixies?

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's awesome. next time I'm in Savannah we need to hang out :)

FWIW there are several sets of RUF wheels on Rennlist, in the member to member classifieds. not sure about sizes/offsets/etc.

5. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've driven a 930 turbo multiple times, the car is an absolute riot to drive. It feels like your average classic around town with heavy steering and a really mechanical feel to everything. When you hit the boost make sure you're wearing some depends because the car transforms and really wakes up. Such a fun car to drive.

6. 650hp? Yikes, that is a lot of boost. What mods have been done? Mine is modified, not to that level though. Almost zero turbo lag, sport bike fast. Mine can sit in traffic all day long. The ac is not the best. One of the best vintage sports cars ever built.

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    1. Are these cars hard to shift?

You have a WEVO shifter in the car so it should shift smoothly unless the couplers need adjusting. The tranny synchros may also need replacing if you are having trouble shifting. The WEVO does feel very heavy when shifting gear.

2. Do they hate traffic?

It should be fine in traffic. The big problem is heat soak in your IC if you are in heavy traffic. Drive around and get air to flow over the IC and you''ll be good.

3. How does one manage the turbo lag?

Hold on and since you are used to 911s, you know not to lift in turns.

4. PS: How the hell do you get over 400-500 HP from a 3.5 liter flat 6 anyway?

magic pixies?

The extra CCs helps, but you usually upgrade with cams (SC, SC sport or 964 are the usual), upgraded fueling via Euro fuel head and fuel enrichment, adjustable boost, headers/exhaust and of course a bigger turbo. Lots of people upgrade to K27 variants, but I had a big mama K29 in mine and she kept pulling up to redline.

Btw, this car looks to be running CIS so I don't think it had 650whp unless you have NOS. To get higher hp, you need to upgrade to EFI.

Also, I don't think those are Kinesis on your car. They may be RH wheels, or rims that say Japan and FIRST on the inner petals. If they are the Japan rims, they are very well made rims

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thank you, ( and thanks ) to all of you who have replied. I don't believe the 650 number, but its what the seller / owner told me on the phone. I want to see what Mike at Rennsport says about the mods. The Yellowbird CTR had 496 HP, (?) and it is a legend. I also saw the CIS and was ????? on how the car can have much over 400 ish HP.

I have not seen the car, and it wont be here until we arrange shipping this week.

Just excited / scared/ curious, if that makes any sense !

:)

I will take pics of the stamps on the wheels to identify them. I do not like the look of them.

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I had my 911 for close to six years and had great luck. These are well built cars. Mine was the water cooled so it may not relate to your car.

Good luck

Best

Lee

10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    PS: I was eating lunch at work on Wednesday of this week, and looked at the "for sale" ads on Pelican. Bought the car Friday morning when the banks opened. :) :)

Suffice it to say I don't know much about turbo 911's, but the seller, and Mike Callas seem to be great to deal with.

The car " is what it is " and i will inform everyone of the facts when it gets here.

I figure if all else fails i will stick a 3.2 and a 915 trans in it and sell off most of the other bits.

Could be fun. Either way ! :cool:

11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Take a slow learning curve. Also look up a few P websites for advice. You will find plenty of advice from owners with similar rides. Nice car. Good luck.

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you finally made it to the 930 turbo!!!! Congrats Michael.

looks like some good bits on that car. the intercooler is the same as mine...still considered by many to be the best for cars w/ a/c. the wevo shifter is another big dollar upgrade. think twice before selling the RH 3.6 wheels...they are very good!!!

500 ish hp is the TOP of what a cis car is capable of producing but let me assure you that with 500 hp, the 930 is motorcycle fast!!!!! be pointed straight when you get into her and be very careful in the rain.

I have owned 3 930's and my current 500 hp beast has been with me for over 10 years!!!

enjoy my friend!

pcb

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Most of the hard core turbo guys say 400-425 whp is max on CIS, but you could always crank up the boost. lol I ran 1 bar on my 86 with a 3.4, K29, SC cams and a bunch of other stuff.

Which Speedline wheels are you looking for? Most people put the turbo 3.6 style wheels on the car, but they look just like the ones you have right now.

14. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

I have been doing a lot of reading, which is why i was questioning the HP #'s John ( the seller ) gave me. Its cool, I am going into this with a smile. I am out of my comfort zone with a new car, and I am looking forward to learning something new. I the wheels I really like are the Ruf 5 star Speedline wheels. Several local friends have said to just wait and get the car here, and sorted before dropping $3500 on wheels. The Slantnose cars I saw as a kid had Ruf wheels or BBS wheel ( and Fuchs of course). I don't remember "RH 3.6 Turbo wheels" from back in the day. I am almost 42.

I am a nerd and want to fully understand what I am dealing with, and the 650 does not jive with the parts I see, and what I have read. Hence reaching out with questions. Its ok, all in good fun. Whatever the car is, we will sort it out, and I will drive it awhile.

I also need to figure out what fluids to use, and how to properly work on the car.

Black on black Slantnose turbo coupe was a bucket list car for me.

The only other icon car I want to own one day is a black QV Countach with tan interior, no wing, and gold wheels. One day........... :)

They say its dangerous to meet your heroes, but i wanted a turbo slope, when the right car came up. Hope this one is it, even if it is a replica / conversion of a Ruf BTR.

Really appreciate your time, help and replies.

15. Most say Mobil One oil will cause leaks. Mine had it without any leaks, but I switched to Brad Penn oil. That seems to be the preferred Turbo oil. Regardless of the hp, pick a nice flat straight area with run off room before you really try it out. Skip fast driving in turns. Other than that, have fun.

16. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The 3.6 turbo wheels were on the 94 964 turbo as seen on Bad Boys. I know you like the Ruf wheels, but I looked at a setand while nice, they were very heavy. Have you looked at Fikse wheels? Very nice 3 piece wheels and pretty light! I have BBS LMs on my 77 turbo and they are a PITA to keep clean.

17. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    That's not a Wevo shifter. Looks like a Fabcar or variant 935 shifter. I'd do a leak down and compression test (if not already done) to make sure things are fine. Then put it on a chassis dyno to get an actual h.p. reading and check a/f's.
    I've been using Swepco engine & trans oil in my 911's & the 930 and it works fine for me. You can also send a sample in for analysis.
    There was/is an engine builder in Europe getting 650 hp with CIS. He posted a couple dino sheets confirming this.
    There,s a lot of good info on the Pelican 930 forum. Check out a thread on Tom,s 930 build by Turbocraft. He,s in the 700-800 hp range in his street driven 930.

18. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    congrats... they are a blast to drive. a huge difference form a 3.2 imo. then again it suspension and motor is juiced up a little from stock.

i thought of going N/A on mine too when/if i blow it up! but i was told the 915 or G50 isnt a straight forward bolt on swap cuz the the 930 torsion bar tubs are different. how did the M491 turbo looks cars do it on supposedly the same chassis i wonder?

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

84 - 86 491's were fitted w/ 915 box TMK.

20. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    The seller said its a Hargett racing shifter. Car is not here yet, and I am curious as to what is in the car as far as upgrades and mods.

21. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I had one of those. The only thing is it sits up high and the shaft is left exposed to the interior of the car instead of in the tunnel. From there, the coupler access cover is left off so it can angle down into the recess.

22. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Car arrived....

A/C is ICE cold...

Car is cartoon fast......

Going to clean it up, fix a few things and bring it home.

I still hate the wheels. :)

23. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I like the car. I think the appart from the wheels, the one thing Id change is the mesh insert between the rear lights.

With CIS injection, Id expect your power to be between 375 to 425rwhp MAX. Even though the power may be lower than what was quoted, these cars can weigh in the 2600-2900 area easily. The 930 air cooled motors can make a tremendous amount of power, over 1000rwhp to be exact. One question on this car, what transmission is it using? If it is an original 930 4 speed, the downfall is the gearing is incredibly long, you wait for boost to build for what seems like eons. Then when it hits, its like a truck hit you from behind. If this is the case, the best modification you can do is change to a G50 type transmission. This makes a night and day difference in performance and useability. If it is using a 915 transmission, then be careful, as its at its power limits.

24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thanks, we are taking most of the RUF stuff and all the carbon fiber crap off the car. I spoke to Rennsport and now have all the receipts. The AC upgrade was $4k, the trans rebuild was $6k and there is a long receipt for the engine work totaling just under $24k. Someone also used real Ruf valance / bumper parts, all sheet metal flares, and it had the power brakes steering and suspension added from an 89 Turbo. They welded the front tub, the front section from an 89, to the 1974 tub. The welds are beautiful. That is how the 74 body is using the Big Red turbo brakes, and power brake booster.

I was told its a 935 trans axle. its a 4 speed, but the gears dont seem that far apart. We all hate the Hargett shifter, so I am looking to see if it can be removed without pulling the transmission from the car, if the shift tube is not there, we are screwed.

Rennsport said they saw a silver turbo slope come through their shop a few years ago, that was done the exact same way: an early 911 body modified into a steel slopenose wide body, including the brakes, steering and suspension. That car had a twin plug Andial engine and was a monster.

My car is a 3.5 Liter they said, and we went over the parts used. With the CIS i agree the car cant be over 500 HP, but who knows. Dunno if there is a dyno here where i live, and they warned me the engine, trans and turbo are still breaking in.

25. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Looks like an awesome ride Michael. Check into Excellence magazine if you haven't already they have written many diffrent articles on owner/modified 930's some with over 800h.p.