959 servicing???? | FerrariChat

959 servicing????

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by miurasv, Jan 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    A friend in the UK is considering a 959 but he has been told that these cars can only be serviced at the Porsche factory in Germany. Is there any truth in this or are there certain aspects of the servicing that can only be done by the factory? Is there a Porsche Main Dealer in the UK that has 959 expertise? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    You may have your friend contact Colin at Ninemeister. If Colin can't help, would think he can assist your friend with someone.

Welcome to ninemeister

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've seen 959s in three different shops in the US, one factory authorized dealer and two independents-so I think anyone well versed in Porsche could handle it.

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Two places I know of: 1) Ruf Automobile in Pfaffenhausen, Germany and 2) Canepa near San Francisco Canepa

959's are very specialized and require their own specific scan tool and other specialized tools and knowledge.

Ruf has been servicing them since new.

Canepa has been specializing with them since they came out and have done tremendous updates for them.

I would only trust servicing a 959 with those that have successful past experience and that includes the factory.

Freeman

5. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    The OP said UK, Canepa does not fit the bill....

What about OPC Reading?

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thanks for the replies. I called OPC Reading earlier today and they do service the 959. Thanks again.

7. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Somethings that one vaguely remembers somewhere in the distant past.... comes handy sometimes. I would check how many cars they have serviced in the past though...

8. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #8 Cobraownr, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For 959 service in the U.S., Tony Callas and Tom Prine at Callas Rennsport in Torrance, California must be doing something right.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Tony Callas has a fantastic reputation for working on everything from 911R's to GT1's. I always get straight forward precise advice from him on my Porsches. Great example of showing his expertise.

Freeman

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Heck of a long way from England... shipping?

Kind of moot for him, I think.

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I think the point made was to make sure whoever is servicing a 959 has a good reputation for knowing them. Seeing a few outside a service center is usually a good first sign.

Freeman

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've had the engine out of one. Not too bad of a job really, but it comes out quit different then a regular 911. It sorta slides out like a drawer from the rear.

13. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    Robert Gant - Gantspeed Engineering did resto work on an early 959 - might be worth touching base with him. Porsche 356 & Early 911 Restoration UK

14. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    Don thats a great picture - BTW I've met Tony's father Mike at his Sealy Texas shop - that's who'll look after my 73RS for sure .....

Happy New Year :)

15. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    And to you, too, Nick. Missed you at this year's Frosty Balls. I actually made it to the finish line in time for the lunch! (That I was following an original 289 Cobra that had a navigator who lived in the area will be our little secret.)

The guys at Road Scholars send their 959 to Tony Callas. That was all the recommendation I needed. I have a wild idea to drive the 959 home when Callas finishes with it. If I do and plan to go through Texas I will let you know.

16. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    That would be a great and memorable drive, and you'll be more than welcome to come visit. Maybe you'll need a co-driver ???

17. airspyder

airspyder Rookie

Sep 27, 2010
    Chicago, sometimes
    But the picture isn't outside of Callas Rennsport.