911 Turbo | FerrariChat

911 Turbo

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by THE RED MENACE, Feb 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    What are the thoughts on the 911 Turbo. I was in the dealer yesterday getting the oil changed on my Cayenne, and they had 2 Turbos in the showroom waiting on delivery and I must say, they looked awesome. I couldn't drive them because they were sold, but it really got me thinking about trading my 550 in on one. I would like to know what they drive like before I would order one, but it sure does have me thinking. I know it would be a lot different from the 550 but it kind of seems more practical. Thoughts..

2. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have one on order - Basalt Black, Red natural leather - To me it is the daily driver super car as reliable as your family Toyota.

I looked at the Ferrari GT's - 599, Cali, Bentley GT Speed, Merc SLS - to me the 911 Turbo had everything I was looking for.

MB

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I am a Porsche guy to be sure but I must say the SLS in the secondary market with essentially zero miles is the best buy there is. You can get them w/ 1k miles for $145k all day long.

What sexy beast!!! SLS for me thank you.

4. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    What is the wait time for your order? Im thinking the same thing on reliability, I live 6 hours from the nearest Ferrari dealer, and my water pump went out and it's just a hassle when things go wrong. I live 2 hours away from the Porsche dealer, and it just seems to make more sense. In the end it's not that big of a deal, both great cars.

5. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    6 hours from an F dealer and 2 hours away from a P dealer? You're one lucky guy. I wish I could live in the middle of nowhere to have that type of problem.

6. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Fortunately, I live about 30 minutes away from the Porsche dealer and 31 minutes away from the Ferrari Dealer...I ordered on Jan 11, 2014 and expect to take delivery around end of April, first week or so in May. I have not received my build date yet, so if I wanted to make changes to the order, sill open.

MB

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I drove a 2014 Turbo S 911 two days ago. The car is just stunning to look at. The handling was stellar.

Not much if any exhaust sound which is good or bad depending on you viewpoint. Te twin turbos reduce the sound accoring to the dealer.

The power was fairly good also but it was the exterior looks and handling that make this car.

The dealer was great also. I have bought 3 of my 3 011s from them and they have been wonderful to deal with.

Some day soon I will buy one but not yet.

Best

Lee

8. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    #8 rockminster, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a 991 Turbo S that now has about 2000 miles. The car is remarkable in terms of the performance, usability and technology that is packed into such a small package. The engine, gearbox, brakes and new all wheel steering are absolutely first rate. It is a supercar that can truly be used everyday and you can even put 4 people into it in a pinch. I understand the critique about it not making enough of an exhaust note but it does rev to 7k and they have worked hard to give it an aural personality. In SportPlus it sounds great - you know it's a high perf car when in the revs. I have had a few annoying repair issues that have taken a while to sort out which has been frustrating but the car is so good it hasn't knocked down my enthusiasm for the car at all. Drive one if you get the chance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Just finished the deal up tonight, I traded my 550 in on a black/black & titanium turbo. I thought I was in love with Ferrari, until I bought one last fall. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful to look at and it was fun to drive, I just wanted something a little more modern, and not something I was afraid to drive. I live 6 hours from the closest Ferrari service, and have no mechanical ability, so the 911 just makes more sense. The 911 is a blast to drive, all modern conveniences I like, and I'm able to get it serviced a lot closer to home. It's sad I'm not a Ferrari owner any more, but I am excited for the next chapter.

10. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Congratulations! It may not have the sense of occasion each time you use it that the 550 had I'd wager you'll use the 991 way more and the performance of the Porsche is well beyond the 550. Enjoy!

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    where is the 550 now ? specs ?

12. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    It's still in my garage, the dealer I traded with has yet to pick it up & I have no idea what they are doing with it, I think they already have a buyer, as they gave me my "asking price" for it after they checked with a couple of customers. It is a 2001 with 8007 miles on it. Barchetta wheels, titanium with charcoal interior with black daytona inserts. Quilted shelf, and headliner & tubi exhaust. Belt service done by Ferrari of Seattle last march, oil & fluid change done this month by Ferrari of Denver with a rebuild of the water pump. It's very nice, I just don't/can't use it all that often so I want something thats more usable. I bought the 550 this past fall and after about 700 miles my water pump went out, not a big deal but getting it to the dealer, and fixed, it's just a lot of work. Also, I live in a small town and people just look at it with a tilted view. I know that I shouldn't care what they think but it does factor in.

13. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I plan on using the turbo as daily driver, and that is why I traded the 550 in. I know people will tell me to drive the 550 and don't worry. I get that, but they are a little more fragile than most. Not only mechanically but, always worrying about dash leather shrinkage, and the little things like that and I just like the modern aspect of the Porsche, the sat radio, heated & cooled seats, the heated steering wheel and so on. I enjoy those things, so I'm going to try Porsche. I still love Ferrari, or the idea of Ferrari, and I still feel a little sad that it's leaving me but, the real test was when it was gone for 2 months getting the water pump rebuilt, I really didn't miss it that much.

14. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

You will miss that prancing horse, I have a 993 GT2 and an F430F1, despite the Porsche being pretty scary to drive the Fezza just has that special Italian sense of occasion about it.

I've not driven the modern Turbos so can't comment, I prefer the rawness of the air cooled cars, but I've read that despite being crushingly fast they're a little bland and soulless.

You'll be back to worship. Best Porsche for me if you must 993 Turbo - does every and more at a sensible cost - appreciating classic also here in the UK.