991 GT3 RS spy shots | FerrariChat

991 GT3 RS spy shots

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by P_RSR, Feb 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P_RSR

P_RSR Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 P_RSR, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

997 gt3 handsome. this 991...not so much!

3. P_RSR

P_RSR Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Changes from the current GT3 that can easily be seen:
    -removal of air box under wing -> addition of turbo styled inlets on widened rear bumpers
    -larger wheels (21" rear, 20" front)
    -carbon hood and roof
    -larger rear wing
    -wider front bumper (and front track)

I also read an article saying that Porsche is dropping the GT2RS and the new GT3RS will be turbocharged, though I highly doubt that. Also, the wing is a huge element to this car's looks and with the camo on it, one cannot take in the true beauty of this car. Porsche is yet to let us down with a GT3 RS, and with all the pressure people have been putting on them for more improvement in this RS than in the past ones, I'm sure they will not disappoint.

4. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    that is some rear wing!

5. P_RSR

P_RSR Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    They are aiming for "GT3 level downforce" with the car. Not sure where that number fits. I know Mclaren said the P1 is GT3 level downforce and produces a lot! I can't see this producing that much but the more the better! I really hope Porsche gets this one right...

6. GoonOnFire

GoonOnFire Karting

Feb 6, 2012
    Just needs a bigger wing

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Will be manual or pdk?

8. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if this extreme wing/downforce setup was available on only certain 3RS models. Similar to Weissach and 918 I think we will see two versions of the GT3 RS, however, it does seem redundant considering there is the standard GT3.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    There are rumors going round the interwebs that Porsche is seriously considering a manual (option?).

Surely a 991 Carrera box will mate with it? Throw in different clutch and they've got a winner.

10. P_RSR

P_RSR Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMO the chance of a manual is <1%...

11. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Stick won't happen since most buyers don't want it and it'll worsen their magazine performance figures.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I disagree, the biggest complaint I hear by a HUGE margin about the 991 GT3 is no manual. I think a lot of people would order the RS just to have a slower car ;)

13. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    These engines are too "fast" for manuals, IMHO. Buy a used 996 or 997 GT3 and be done with it...

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Let's hope they will follow that way. Manual is a must at least in RS models. I believe GT3 4.0 RS is the new Holy Grail in Porsche community. Especially because it's the last manual hardcore RS model.

Totally agree!

15. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Fixed. According to Porsche Ag. That era has ended.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Love it! I'm on-board with the GT program.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That looks awfully wide for an N/A model. I thought the N/A variants were generally narrower than the turbo models. It also seems like a whole lot of rear tire for N/A and it clearly has the turbo air intakes.

18. Michael246

Michael246 Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Following rear styling of the gt3 rsr which has side ducts. Plus with the smaller duct under the wing it will need air from the side ducts and they will also probably be used for better brake cooling. Hopefully they limit production on this one! The less RS's they make, the better. This thing will hopefully be doing rings around the 650s and the Speciale.

19. Michael246

Michael246 Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes. There is a reason they called the 4.0 "The last of its breed." Also, Andreas (head of porsche GT) has said that Pdk is the future and they are not going back. Porsche will easily sell all the RS's with the Pdk only so people who are stuck on the idea of a manual - they don't care.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah and they sell far more cayennes in a year than the 991 and boxter variants combines by multiples, so i guesss by that logic they should just scrap sportscars all togther, orare thye a porfitable niche somehow tied up in brand cred?.

Or maybe the hard core enthuisiast is what gives the brand cred for all those suv drivers. Plus I seem to remmebr porche selling every manual GT3 it could make too, so maybe by your logic then they should be making more manuals. I think a lot of people are buying the 991 Gt3 in spite of the PDK. there is a reason why the Rs 4.0 is over 300k now and its not because porche offers somethign newer and more desireable to those who care. hell even a good 997 Rs 3.8 is more used than a 991 GT3.

And while classic sell for big sums, I dont ever remember hearing of a suppanted car sellign for more than its immediate newer model of direct lineage which is supposed to be an "improvement". Well the 991 Gt3 is an improvement on paper but the market and porche buyers are paying a premium on its immediate predescesor for a reason.

Personaly the 991 has bloated the whole 911 concept into a pregnant froglike 928. How about a Gt3 powered manual cayman then, I bet they could sell a few thousand of those to the hardcore without diliting the 991 premium amongst dentists and their ilk. Just a thought

21. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    No manual = strong 997 GT3 and GT3RS prices are hear to stay.

Long live the 4.0!!

Mark

22. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Sounds like it just might be a turbo... (sigh)

Porsche 911 GT3 RS: Extremsportler unter Druck

Here is some google translate:

Instead, the aim of the new Porsche 911 GT3 RS make a significant step forward and be a mixture of GT3 and GT2. This is fully managed the Stuttgart sports car manufacturer with this first prototype for the GT3 RS . The biggest news will be the turbo engine, the new GT3 RS is to receive . Definitely break through the performance of the GT3 RS engine, the 500 - hp mark : With or without charge.

23. P_RSR

P_RSR Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    New York
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You can't believe everything you read...

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Just in case you don't know it: you are preaching to the choir, because Michael246 is a prominent 997 GT3 RS enthusiast & owner! :)

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree. The base 991, Targa and cabriolet are available for when performance isn't the main thing.

The wing looks like a prototype, not the final. Wonder if this is the final body?