991 GT3 PAG Response | FerrariChat

991 GT3 PAG Response

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by luvair, Mar 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Here's the latest --

Dear Mr

As advised previously, engineers at Porsche AG have been conducting technical analysis of the Porsche 911 GT3 engine in order to find a solution to the problem which led us to recommend you stop driving your car.

This analysis is now completed, and we would like to inform you about the cause of the problem and the planned remedial actions.

As already communicated, two vehicles in Europe suffered engine damage, causing the vehicles to catch fire.

Analysis has revealed that in both cases the engine damage was caused by a loosened piston rod screw connection which damaged the crankcase. In order to avoid this in the future, an optimized screw connection is currently being tested. For the final validation of this solution, Porsche AG is currently carrying out extensive tests.

At Porsche we are rigorous when implementing an engineering solution, therefore, after the successful testing and validation we will be installing new engines with optimized piston rod screw connections in all 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles.

Due to the complexity of the necessary arrangement, we are currently unable to provide you with a specific workshop date for your Porsche 911 GT3. We will be arranging an appointment with you individually, as soon as the logistics planning is finalized. We will be providing you with additional information within the next three weeks.

We continue to remain committed to supporting your individual needs during this time. Your personal contact person will make contact with you within the next days to discuss individual solutions to bridge the gap until you are reunited with your Porsche 911 GT3.

Thank you very much for your patience and your loyalty to the Porsche brand.

Kind regards,

2. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Guess the "new" engine is not ready for primetime quite yet..Bring back the Mezger powerplant

3. Davidcbrown

Davidcbrown Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2011
    What a joke. I have mine due to be completed in April. Who knows. Nobody does. Nobody knows what the status is. Porsche has mishandled all of this.

4. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    #4 luvair, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    To me, problems with a connecting bolt, that is engine building 101.
    And it's interesting that they don't trust local technicians to do the fix.
    They should have gotten their bolts from ARP.

"Porsche AG is currently carrying out extensive tests." My comprehension, so, you didn't carry out extensive tests in the past.

5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Mine has been on hold since 2/14 at the factory with no movement and was to be here in early April. Now who knows when it will arrive. Porsche said they will have more information in about 3 weeks. By the time I get my car there will be snow on the ground i.e. fall and if they think for one minute I will take a 2014 when the 2015's are being produced then they can you know what.

I have already told me dealer that I want 2015 priority above all those that have specced out a 2015. No commitment from the dealer on that.

bottom line, If I wanted a Volkswagen and Volkswagen engineering I should have bought a Volkswagen.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Stopped by Main Line Porsche on Saturday they had two of them sitting up front.

7. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
  8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    What a train-wreck.

I love the “We’re acting fast and decisively to fix this” comment to the media, yet the e-mail they have privately sent to hapless owners of GT3 says "we are currently unable to provide you with a specific workshop date for your Porsche 911 GT3".

9. Davidcbrown

Davidcbrown Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2011
    It is a trainwreck!! I am pissed at porsche!!!

10. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thoughts on getting a Turbo S and then selling it when and if the "fixed" GT3's arrive?

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    first all the IMS issues with the M96, now this...gotta wonder what's going on with Porsche's engine designers.

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    sounds great if u dont like $$$$

13. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    porsche motors are trash (?) RMS, IMS, this stuff.....

really makes u question the once much vaulted porsche engineering....

makes you afraid to own a porsche outta warranty.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well I don't know about trash, but they certainly seem to have some R&D issues, or just cutting corners that shouldn't be cut.

15. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    You guys moaning about Porsche's handling of this might want to have the two (2) GT3 fires that has brought us here in mind.

Then cast your mind back and try and recall how many 458's burnt before Ferrari admitted there was a problem, let alone a fix in the works.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IIRC it was only 5 or 6 458's that burned. slower response time yes, but it's not like 100 cars burned down first :)

17. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    You guys are complaining about the way Porsche is handling this situation? They way I see it, they are stepping up to the plate early and trying to fix a mistake well before it becomes a bigger issue. 2 cars caught fire and they already figured out what the cause of the problem is. How many 458's caught fire when they first came out? And Porsche is not going to fix your engine, but replace it entirely! That's above and beyond in my opinion and a more than fair solution to this issue.

Anybody remember Ford's solution to the oil leaks in the early GT's? Speedi-Sleeve!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

18. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    This x100000:

19. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    What a train wreck! Then again, like Jocasta already stated, handled much better the F458 fires!

20. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Ahh, so only 2 or 3 times as many Ferraris had to burn.

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    lol. if that's how you want to look at it, sure.

I'm going to have a few beers this weekend, I hope you don't have 3 times that many, you'll kill yourself man! don't be such a glutton :)

22. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey

+1

23. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    So in a few months there will be a lot of used Turbo S's on the market...

24. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    How does this affect the value of early cars with engine replacements vs later cars that come from the factory 100% original?

Second hand I think I would pass on a car that's had an engine swap, even if it's done by Porsche on command of the manufacturer.

25. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i understand why ferraris burn... the 575 used to heat the whole house from the garage when parked after a drive...

porsche buried it's head on the RMS, IMS forever... hence the partial half ass class action lawsuit.