Serious question: Immobolizer issues on 993 - | FerrariChat

Serious question: Immobolizer issues on 993 -

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by James_Woods, Mar 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    As some of you may recall, during my working career, I spent the last 10 years with a 1996 993 Targa as my daily driver. I had numerous problems with the immobilizer system.

However, this enquiry is not about my car - it is about my friend's car - a 1997 993 Tiptronic Targa. He is having related (similar) and yet different issues with the immobilizer.

What his does is to intermittently fail to unlock the doors and prevent starting the engine. The weird symptom is that the car appears to be totally electrically dead when this happens - no lights, no nothing. Then it will eventually come alive.

Hans at our sponsor RAC Performance has replaced the ignition switch - as he says this is the only place that all the car power is routed through in one place past the battery. It did not fix it - car still has this problem.

What I was wondering was - has any other 993 owner faced this issue? Did you fix it? HOW did you fix it?

Thanks!

PS - I firmly believe that this "Immobilizer" system was the most irritating and worst idea Porsche ever put on any model of the classic air-cooled 911.

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I know it sounds stupid, but the engine wire harness recall was issued to deal with the immobolizer. You can call the local dealership, give your vin # and then see if it has been completed

3. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Thank you - we can check on that.

4. 356racing

356racing Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    What part if the ignition switch did they replace? There is the electrical portion that screws to the back and the mechanical portion that the key is inserted into. On the mechanical portion there is a small switch that tells the central informer that the key is in place. This can be jumped for testing purposes.

5. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Not stupid at all as there was a recall on this harness. A buddy of mine just had his done last year, although he has owned the car a decade.

Also, if the battery completely discharges, and is jumped or otherwise charged it can sometimes cause an issue with the immobilizer. Also, as obvious as it may be, recheck the ground straps at the battery to chassis etc.. you would be surprised what corrosion between the strap and chassis can cause.

Good luck!

6. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Latest news: The factory wiring recall has been done on this car, but problems still occur intermittently.

Hans at RAC found this: (they can rebuild the immobilizer circuit for $475)

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:50 AM, Hans Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:

Porsche 993 Immobilizer 99361815902, 993 618 159 02 - Specialized ECU Repair

The ecudoctors have (besides the rebuild) a modification through the chips which essentially disables the annoying immobilizer, leaving you with normal remote door locks and key starting without pushing the immobilizer button. It is $100 - my friend has not decided whether to do that or not.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Huh.

I have a 96 C4S and I have no issues. I've owned the car for around six years. Perhaps my wiring was redone.

The immobliser does drain the battery if I let it...

My car is rock solid otherwise.

Matt

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I was most interested in the option of removing the whole immobilizer action (as irritating as it was to me) and getting back to normal remote locking and key ignition...

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I apologize. I don't know if that can be done.

Check the Pelican forums or Rennlist.

Matt

10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Since they steal the cars now via rollers or a tow truck.... the immobilizer is just a vexation and really serves no protection