2005 Cayenne Turbo buying tips | FerrariChat

2005 Cayenne Turbo buying tips

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Jdubbya, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    If everything works out like it should I'll be driving this home later this week...2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Lynnwood, Washington | Cats Exotics

It seems to be in pretty amazing shape and I know and trust Roy to only sell me something he trusts. Is there anything specific to check out or look for and any scary maintenance issues? I know with a turbo I'll have to keep on top of oil changes and other routines. I read somewhere about the cardan shaft issue but that seems to be a pretty cheap DIY job if it ever presents itself. Also have seen the coolant pipe issues but again a fairly easy DIY job. Other than that there seem to be plenty of them with lots of miles.

I took it for a drive yesterday and was pretty amazed at the performance for such a heavy beast. It will be a fun daily driver.

Thanks in advance!!
    John

2. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    surprised its not had the coolant pipes done already - first job as it can happen very quickly. I had a dealer do my pipes and have a claim on the class action - if you do it yourself or have a non porsche garage do the work less chance of a refund - yeap I know it may take some time but heh...
    Great cars .....

3. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    It may have been done. The records haven't caught up to the car yet.

4. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    Some of the issues we ran across with our 05 turbo with 63,000 mi., coolant pipes (fixed under warranty at 49,000 mi., starter (caused by coolant pipes), drive shaft. We're waiting for the transmission valve. This causes a jolt when downshifting. Everything mentioned above seems to be pretty typical issues. Figure about 20,000 mi for tires, 30,000 for brakes. May be less if you drive hard.
    Check out the Cayenne site on Rennlist.

5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the replies. They are fixing some curb rash on the wheels on Wednesday and I should be picking it up Thursday. Looking forward to having fun and getting to know it. It's gonna be a few long days till Thursday!! :)

6. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Holy cow. Picked it up last night. Was a rainy cool night so didn't get a chance to drive it much but so far I am loving this thing. Comfortable, fast, good looking. What else could you ask for?!? :) Looking forward to some dryer, warmer days when I can actually drive it. I have a LOT to learn about this thing though, so many buttons!!! ;)

7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well this is a fun car to toy around in. Turns out this one will need the trans valve body done too. Didn't show up on the test drive or even until the 2nd or 3rd day I had it. Disappointed to say the least, but I'll get it fixed and move on.

Also turns out this car had the rare E81 Turbo power option which, depending on what source you believe, upped the power, tweaked the suspension, and included bigger brakes all the way around. The only real downside to that is front rotor are two piece floating and come in close to $2k for the set.

Am learing the joys of Porsche ownership. Incredible to think this was a $125,000 car new!!