More Going from 911s to Boxsters/Caymans | FerrariChat

More Going from 911s to Boxsters/Caymans

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by PhilNotHill, May 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #1 PhilNotHill, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Just had my annual service done on the Boxster S. the independent shop which only does German cars told me more and more people are going from 911s to Boxsters/Caymans. Is this a local phenomenon or a national/regional trend?

BTW: They also told me I would have no trouble selling our 2011 Boxster S. Alas, not interested.

Looks to me like 911s way outnumber Boxsters/Caymans in the Roaring Fork Valley by 10:1.

and Cayennes outnumber 911s by 4:1.

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    New Porsche sales for the 1st 1/4 US:
    Boxster 933
    Cayman 922
    911 2535
    Panamera 1466
    Cayenne 4280

Total 10,136

If you consider Boxster/Cayman as 1 model: 1855. 911 still sold 36% more.

"4 doors" make 57% of total sales. Any wonder they are coming out with the Macan?

A friend of mine bought a Boxster Spyder new and his wife drove it so much, he bought another. He tried new ones and, like me, found them lacking. I ended up getting a Cayman R.

Personally, 911s never appealed to me. Unless you want a back seat and more power, Boxster/Cayman offers a better balanced, sportier car with plenty of amenities if wanted. Maybe more are coming around to my way of thinking.

Dave

3. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Interesting. I think the Boxster/Cayman are so good these days that they offer all the power, handling and "Porsche-ness" you'd want.

One other thing is that 911 has become more expensive, which means a lot of people can't justify the premium for the 911 vs. the Boxster/Cayman price which is actually considered very fair by many (priced as it should be, not too expensive).

I also think that the Boxster/Cayman platform has finally become accepted (well, sort of) as a proper Porsche. The lines are much more masculine for this generation than they used to be.

4. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    I also think there exists two very separate markets. The new car buyer, and the used car buyer. Porsche can't move a manual car new, yet second-hand, everyone wants a stick. Same I think with the Cayman/Boxster vs 911. 911 is very desirable to the new car crowd, but many more used car buyers seem to appreciate the virtues of the smaller, more sportscar oriented Boxster/Cayman than those buying new.

Not limited to Porsche, either. Subaru recently pointed out that they make cars for the 1st owner, not the fanboys who were all upset but much more likely to be buying a ten year old Subaru than a new one.

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is true for many brands, including Ferrari. Paddles were an extra 10K+ on new Ferraris but sticks sell for more on the used market. I see the same whining about BMWs, Porsches, etc. about companies "losing" the enthusiasts with the new cars yet they keep setting sales records. Incidentally, when I was shopping for a Cayman R, I noticed PDK equipped cars seemed to just sit. It looked to me that 2 pedal and 3 pedal cars were about 50/50 on the market. I don't know what the percentage was new. A local dealer did tell me that PDK cars now make up the great majority of new car sales. The days for sticks is numbered.

Dave

6. Canine64

Canine64 Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2005
    Not around here. 911 is still king and even more so at all the track events I attend. As the 991 keeps going up in price though, I suspect the entry level cars will start making some inroads. Kinda funny though that the "entry level" box/cay are $60k and up with fully optioned models banging on the door of $90k. Sheesh.....

I will always have at least one manual 911 in my garage. Told the girlfriend that I will be buried in one. Still feel that if you can drive a rear engined car well/fast/competently, you can drive anything.

7. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    A major reason for this, is not just enthusiasts - but maintenance costs. Auto's are throw aways if you have a transmission failure, but manuals are much cheaper/easier to rebuild.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've got a Cayman S on order (manual, incidentally). The salesman, who is a member here, told me that around 90% of the Cayman/Boxsters they sell are PDKs.

9. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    For me, the 911 has the appeal of "in car" storage behind the front seats and the ability to recline the front seatbacks when you need to take a break on a long trip.

So....my next Porsche will be a 911.

10. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    The 981 cayman/boxsters are in a class of their own, in terms of purity, fun, small and just incredibly well balanced and easy to toss around.

Besides the GT3/gt2, I found the 981's the best handling and most fun to drive out of all of the 911's.

People like to dismiss them for whatever snobby reason but the fact remains, they are an incredible package for the money and I've yet to find better.

Having said that, I recently got on the list for the 991 GT3, which I am a big fan of.

I'm also keen to see and get a firm date on when the 981 cayman/boxster GT4 is going to launch, as I know it will be incredible and possibly a purer driver experience than the GT3.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I just took delivery of my Cayman S. What a great car! The 911s have become too bloated for me... the Cayman weighs about the same and is 2 inches longer than my old 85 911 Carrera-- and has a fair amount more power.

12. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Congrats on the new car! I really think the Cayman has become what the 911 used to be in many ways. In fact, one of the reasons I love my 993 so much is that fact that it reminds me a little of my old Cayman S. I drove a new Cayman S not long ago and was really impressed -- I think I may have to become a repeat buyer :)

13. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Porsche needs a smaller sedan now. M5 / E63 competitor.

14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think the 991 is a very capable car, but it is too big. I have my 77 930 and my 02 996 turbo and wanted a fun car that was everyday friendly. That would be a car more along the size of a Cayman/Boxster.

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The new Cayman and Boxster are both bigger than my 911SC.

Parked next to a new Cayman at a P-car gathering several weeks ago... was surprised how big it was.

16. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think the 987 is about the same size as an SC, with the 981 a little bigger, but still smaller than a 996/997. And the 991 is even bigger than that! Cars keep getting bigger these days. Whatever happened to the sub-Boxster Porsche was developing?

17. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    New issue of Excellence has a great article on the Boxster/Cayman GTS's.

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Those numbers look very strong for the 981 Cayman -- I remember the first gen barely touching 100 units per month. Reinforces my impression that it was a very successful makeover.

Agree with you on the 911. The back seat is pretty useless, and from a performance perspective the Boxster/Cayman just feels more poised (and now looks better).

Only speculation, but the new car buyer has a warranty and the new-ness of the mechanicals in his favor. After 6-8-10 years, it's just you, your car and your wallet. I have DSG in my Audi -- truly great gearbox, probably second only to Porsche's new PDK. But I won't be keeping it much beyond the warranty period.

This is exactly the situation with F430s and to some extent 360s -- stick shift cars seem more sought than the F1 or dual-clutch cars.