918 Spyder VIP event | FerrariChat

918 Spyder VIP event

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by ARTNNYC, Jul 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    #1 ARTNNYC, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just experienced the two-day Porsche VIP event for the 918 Spyder with a launch cocktail party last night at "The Bridge" golf course in Bridgehampton and a drive event based out of Southampton Porsche this morning.
    I know I am going to upset a lot of people on this forum but in my opinion the 918 is the best of the three upcoming hypercars. You can actually see where Porsche has spent the money with its front AND rear hybrid drives, race based V-8, four-wheel steering, incredible interior with fantastic features and on and on.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is a two-day VIP event a sign that they can't sell them?

Porsche seems to be marketing the heck out of this car, I would expect they wouldn't be doing that if they were all sold.

and I agree, the 918 is probably the best of the 3...

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Beautiful car...

4. Gerald

Gerald Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Anaheim, Ca
    Full Name:
    Gerald B.
    DOES ANYONE HAVE AN UPDATE ON US DELIVERIES FOR THE 918???

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Definitely.

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004

They are def struggling to sell these things

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    It seems to me that this is a more efficient way to get a demo drive opportunity for potential customers. Also in a safe controlled environment. It's not like every dealer will get a 918 demo car so that people can take it out on the local freeway to crawl around going nowhere fast. Customer has to buy the 918 before he or she gets to do that...

8. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Gee, I love Porsche as a manufacturer after owning a few of them. The 911 turbo look really worked for me, but the other vehicles, their look not so much.
    Once again it seems the have made a fantastic car and yup probably better than the other two super car entries, but imo the 918 look leaves a lot to be desired. Looks like there is too much going on with the air dams and all, wheels look too confusing, idk, looks like it was slapped together.
    I wonder about fun factor? Its presence and sound as compared to the other makes?

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    oh and thanks for sharing the pictures Jerome!!!

10. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I have owned everything including a Carrera GT, Lambo's, Porsche GT2-3's and Ferrari's. This 918 is amazing to drive and as far as I am concerned is head and shoulders beyond the LaFe and P1 and just like the CGT will age VERY well...

11. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    You have, I am guessing, driven all three to make that comparison and conclusion. That puts you in pretty rare air--I am envious!

Can you describe the differences in terms of how they all drive--the P1 La Ferrari and 918? Is the La Ferrari as nice on the road as the most recent review suggests? Curious how an owner sees these differences as opposed to what the journalists say which I don't find to be instructive because they just seem to love all three!

12. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Have not driven the LaFerrari or P1. I am basing my thoughts and opinion on the substance of the said cars

13. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I think I would also think the 918 is the best after a 2-day VIP event in the Hamptons with full access to the car!! Seriously--the car looks stunning in the pics though.

Not necessarily long-term bad that Porsche is doing it--The CGT did not exactly sprint out of the gate. The prices you could get them for in the secondary market at one point look pretty good compared to now--that is for sure. Also, there are some other reasons for Porsche to hold events like these given how much bigger their customer base is and the opportunity to generate brand loyalty for guys buying the more mainstream cars.