Back In An Air-Cooled 911 Again | FerrariChat

Back In An Air-Cooled 911 Again

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by AJS328, Aug 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    #1 AJS328, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just picked up another air-cooled 911. It's a 1987 911 Carrera Cab in Guards Red with Linen Leather and just 41k original miles. Over the years I've had a bunch of 911's, from 3.2 Carreras to 964's, 993's & 996's, and I still think that these late-80's Carreras are the most fun to drive on American roads. Old-school looks, great build quality, enough power (and low enough limits) to be fun. Plus, I love that view down the hood between those fenders! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, excellent! Has the thought of "keeper" crossed your NJ-Devilish mind?

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Never!!!! ;)

4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Please compare with you recently sold 328....

5. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    The 911 Carrera 3.2 and the Ferrari 328 are my two favorite cars ever so I don't know how objective I can be, but here it goes:

- On condition, the Carrera wins. This particular car has 41k miles and looks like it has 21k. The Ferrari had 56k miles and looked like 75k. It was still a good car but there is no question that an 80's Porsche will stand up to the test of time better than an 80's Ferrari. This is particularly true in the interior. The leather in a Ferrari will show it's age much more readily than a similar mileage Porsche.

- Performance-wise, they're pretty close. The Carrera has a lot less power but I think it's lighter, so the speed differential is minimal.

- The way the cars drive is completely different. The 911 has a much more comfortable driving position and great visibility. This, coupled with the G50 5-speed transmission that the '87-'89 cars had makes it easier to drive than the 328, with it's somewhat balky gated shifter. That being said, they both make great sounds, with the 328 edging out the Carrera on engine "music," in my opinion.

- From a usability standpoint, the Porsche wins hands down. You can simply take the Carrera more places than the 328 without having to worry about unwanted attention. It's a sports car that has everyday ability. The gas mileage in the 911 is even good.

- Ventilation and climate control: They both suck!

- Looks and emotion? I absolutely love both of these cars and I think they each have fantastic designs that have aged extremely well. That said, if I could only have one and my choice was based solely on looks, the Ferrari wins every time!

6. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    It looks great. I had an '87 cab red/tan with the Carrera tail.

I loved that car. It was my first high end sports car. I bought it in 92 and it met its end due to a careless driver in 2004. Fool almost killed me. He crashed into me from behind at a stop light. Car was totaled.

7. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Congratulations!

8. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    very cool ride. enjoy!