Now I am sure we are at the peak of a bubble! | FerrariChat

Now I am sure we are at the peak of a bubble!

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by stradman, Aug 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
  2. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    Market is what it is. A lot of cars for years were so undervalued (Porsche 930). I am glad to see that some cars (Ferrari 250 GTO, TR,) are considered art now.

3. COBRA MAN OF UTAH

BANNED

Jul 1, 2011
    South Jordan, UT
    Its Pts. And rare. There is a Pts. 4.0 Usa. Car here with delivery miles that Will run you 550k...

4. Davidcbrown

Davidcbrown Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2011
    makes a 918 look cheap.

seriously!!!!

5. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    Its RHD and in the UK - those 2 things will add up - it does for a 1973 Carrera RS :)

6. FXEFFECTS

FXEFFECTS Karting

Jan 5, 2009
    #6 FXEFFECTS, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    4.0 RS one of only maximum 40 made in RHD, (last manual, etc etc)

1973 2.7rs RHD max 90 cars produced.

All adds up to me. Very rare car, highly regarded, price will seem very cheap eventually.

7. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    NO, NO, NO, NO and more NO.
    This is simply not right and is pure speculation fever, plain and simple. You can try to convince yourselves all you like with the previous arguments, but this is just plain wrong. Fxxx its not even a classic car yet! ALL classic cars have to go through the cycle of depreciating a little first and stabilising and then somewhat increasing. This is a fact of nature. Please tell me one classic car in history that has not done this cycle?? A tricked up 997 is not going to be the first......

8. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Ford GT maybe?

9. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Nope, that briefly went down before starting the climb. I know because I thought about buying one. And anyways with a nearly 4000 production total it's value doesnt bode very well for holding up in the short term.
    Great car though, nonetheless....

10. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    We'll see about that :)

And I've never seen one below sticker......even in the lull after 2007.

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

You have to remember that contemporary era supercars have re-defined the expression "instant classic", and if ever there was a good representative of that notion, its the GT3 RS.

As FXEFFECTS states perfectly, they are "Highly Regarded", and that's the perfect description for the 4.0 and the GT3 RS in general. That's the x-factor that will always make them desirable, besides the car's awesome capability as a true dual-purpose road & track car.

Current limited-production supercars from the era of the F50 and Enzo onwards (for example) are going without the typical down-then-up value cycle that follows their first few years, and part of the reason is that enthusiasts & collectors have gotten very good at picking what they perceive to be an automotive icon, and they vote with their wallets early. Add this to the fact that there are enthusiastic buyers from all 4 corners of the globe (literally), and you can see why a car like the GT3 RS has simply ascended in value without the typical depreciation you'd expect from classics of a bygone era.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree, the prices are speculative, but it sure beats working for a living. I find the whole "modern instant classic" concept to be oxymoronic.

There will be 4,000 no-mileage Ford GTs from now till we're all old. Most lucrative repackaging ever of a Mustang engine.

Even if there are only 40 RHD 997 GT3 RS, it really is silly money for a 997. You could have a nice Daytona coupe for that...

13. secretcollector

secretcollector Karting

Aug 4, 2013
    The Motor City
    There were ~1,250 CGT's built vs. 600 4.0's. Simple math says that with slightly less than half the total to begin with, prices will be higher if both cars are equally sought-after, which they are today.

14. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    McLaren F1

But I agree with you, this GT3 is way overpriced... even though it is in my favorite color for a 911.

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I don't see it in many of the Porsches !!!! I just don't get it!!!!! CRAZY!

16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Agreed. I understand that this is the end of an era, and a car not likely to be repeated by Porsche...but that is a lot of money! I just don't think this car should be valued the same as a CGT. That said, I am too poor to buy either!

Spending half a mil for a GT3 RS just seems crazy. Then again, so does spending that much for an F12, Aventador, etc..I find the prices of these recent "supercars" to be out of line especially when you consider prices of some of the Diablo variants, 512TR, etc.. I think the pricing of new cars is partially to blame for the weird discrepancy of prices we are seeing.

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    F1 have gone down before going up.

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The car has tripled in 3 years. And it's not a delivery mileage car. It's insane.

19. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Fantastic point.

20. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    I don't buy this Joe. The F50, in Europe was trading at a discount to its sticker price between 1997-2000. The Enzo granted didn't fall below sticker and has traded above its sticker price, in the earlier years after its release, by maybe by 20%. Even now in Europe, with this bubble, you can find one below 2x original price. The 4.0 price is pure hysteria and completely unsustainable. People are saying look at the 73 RS and its price etc. Yes well that took 30 years to appreciate. People buying a 4.0 at this price will get burnt no ifs ands or buts about that. But of course, taking a quote from that famous Doobie brothers tune " What a fool believes, he sees, and no wise man has the power to reason away".....

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    A 4.0 is 1 of 600? More like 1 of thousands of 997s imo. It's a modified 997. The CGT's chassis is shared by none and makes it unique. The GT3 4.0 is not nearly as unique as it's another one of the one or two dozen 997 variants Porsche offered. That's the way I look at it at least...

22. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    The Fed maintaining historically low interest rates for over half-a-decade have also contributed. Borrowing money is very cheap, particularly borrowing against assets, thus driving up the prices of other items considered "rare".

This bubble will pop. Most likely right around when Yellen shifts her weight. Though it could happen sooner, once people realize this is a game of a musical chairs (in pretty cars) and nobody wants to be the last one writing the big check.

23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's a bit like muscle cars....there are dozens of 69 Camaros, valued from $20k to hundreds of thousands. its 1 of 5 of 50,0000.....

another point, also from the muscle car world....think of all the clones of Hemi Cudas, COPO Camaros, Shelby Mustangs, etc. there are clones of '72 911 RSs as well. it's only a matter of time before someone starts buying basic 997 coupes and starts building RS 4.0 clones.

24. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Well exactly. If you really wanted to be unique in a collectors sense,which is what most collectors aspire to, then why not buy a CGT where you cannot mistake with anything really?It has a unique chassis and engine, as opposed to the trick 997, where you have to really know your details to identify it.....just nuts.... Yes they made more CGT's than the specific 997 4.0 but hey its basically a 997 right with some extra modifications over and above a 3.8? And 3.8's aren't trading anywhere near this kind of price...I'm certainly not saying that it won't appreciate over time, it will but this far and this fast, just screams... I'm a speculator!!!

Also one question. Forget about worth and market. How many today here, provided they had $600k spare cash, would pay $600k for a 4.0 just out of interest?

25. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would not. In my mind anything over $200K for one is too much. Obviously there are a lot of people that feel differently from me.

For the same $600k you could get a Diablo SE30, 360 CS and a Ford GT... I would much rather go that route.