Started looking for a 356 | FerrariChat

Started looking for a 356

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by ferrari#7, Aug 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    I have been looking 356 coupe. Looking for a driver. Any suggestions? What should I expect to spend. Thanks

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I cannot help you too much, but I know one thing you will have to decide is what year/model you want. You already know you want a coupé, which is good, but the year matters too.

There are many differences between the Pre A/A/B/C models. I'm actually a huge fan of the later, 356C models. I think they have the prettiest design, and are the most modern, so - perhaps excluding the expensive models with 4 cam engines - are also the fastest/most powerful. For some reason, a lot of the time the C's are cheaper too.

Good luck in your chase! I love those cars...

3. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
  4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Agreed! Driving coupes start around $50k now and cabs start at $100k

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The best value is probably in the 356 B coupes. If you can find one that had a somewhat recent documented bare metal respray, you can have some confidence it's not a bondo'ed up rust bucket. If you end up having to do rust repair on a coupe, you're underwater pretty quickly. Body condition would be my foremost concern, so I would pay a bit more for a car that has been seen in the bare metal. Any of the 356 buyer's guides will show where to look for rust -- Jim Schrager's book is a very good starting point, even if the prices are obsolete.

The A coupes are more expensive, because most people prefer the original body style. But they aren't quite as nice to drive. The gearboxes in the B and C are smoother shifting and have a shorter throw. That said, my Speedster is an A and you get used to the notchiness pretty quickly.

Sunroofs are very desirable on 356s -- if you can find one, it's worth paying a bit more.

Drum brakes in these cars are excellent if they're set up properly. Drive one and you'll be impressed.

Numbers matching is getting to be a bigger deal -- I would look for it, even in a coupe. If you can't get numbers matching, try to get something correct -- i.e., not a 912 engine.

If you haven't joined the 356 Registry, consider it. Those guys are fanatics about maintaining their cars, and finding a coupe for sale by a member would increase your odds of getting a good one -- and/or an honestly described one.

6. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    #6 KARICOUM, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It all depends on your budget. Open cars, speedsters, roadsters and cabs have all have gone crazy pricewise. Id tend to an A Coupe. Well sorted they are a delight to own and have gorgeous shape. Agree with everything Bullfighter said- numbers matching is very important- gone are the days of sticking a 912 with big bore kit into an othwise original car without harming its resale.

If you really want to immerse yourself in the 356 community - why not restore a car. Its incredible fun and very rewarding

My 59 Sunroof coupe rustbucket is a case study in what not to do.....but we are now making good progress
    Image Unavailable, Please Login