Purchase of 2001 996 | FerrariChat

Purchase of 2001 996

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by RAGTOPSL, Aug 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAGTOPSL

RAGTOPSL Rookie

Jan 21, 2006
    Seaford, NY
    Full Name:
    Burt
    Need advice. I would like to buy a 2001 996 Porsche Carrera; to keep it simple the car has 34,000 miles has had an engine failure due to IMSB. The engine was rebuilt at Boston Sports Car at a cost of $12,000 (mileage at Time of rebuild was 31,000) one year ago. At the time of rebuild the IMSB and the RMS we're replace, but the clutch was not. Based on the repair history of the 996 and this car in particular should I buy this car or look for another one. This would be my first real sports car purchase, if I really enjoy owning this car I intend to move up to a Ferrari next.

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It looks like Boston Sportscar does the rebuild in house. What bearing did they replace it with? OEM? LNE? Were other mods done to get more oil to the bearing?

3. RAGTOPSL

RAGTOPSL Rookie

Jan 21, 2006
    Seaford, NY
    Full Name:
    Burt
    The upgraded OEM bearing from Porsche was used. To my knowledge no modification was made.

4. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It worries me that they didn't upgrade to an LN engineering bearing and the fact they didn't even throw in a new clutch while everything was apart. Did a factory trained mechanic complete the rebuild? Unless this car is really cheap, I'd pass. Find one with the LN engineering update and a solid service history.

Scott

5. RAGTOPSL

RAGTOPSL Rookie

Jan 21, 2006
    Seaford, NY
    Full Name:
    Burt
    Hello Scott, this is a one owner car complete documentation and service history. Nothing unusual in service history other than the IMSB engine failure. The car is mint in every other way. The interior looks like new and wheels have no road rash.

6. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One owner with complete documentation is good. A quick search of Boston Sports Car seems to indicate they probably know what they are doing when it comes to rebuilding Porsche engines.

The only issue I have is use of the upgraded Porsche IMS bearing. There are better aftermarket ones available. However, the failure rate should be lower than the original one. If you are fine with it then go for it.

Scott

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Are you buying this car and intending to keep it or sell it when you are ready for a Ferrari? If you are not planning on keeping it I'd check out Rennlist or 6speed forums. You might want to find out what they say about what a car like that would be worth.

8. RAGTOPSL

RAGTOPSL Rookie

Jan 21, 2006
    Seaford, NY
    Full Name:
    Burt
    Hello Morrie, I plan on keeping the Porsche as it is hard to sell a car once I own it. I am buying this car for the enjoyment of driving it. Future value is not important to me.

9. RAGTOPSL

RAGTOPSL Rookie

Jan 21, 2006
    Seaford, NY
    Full Name:
    Burt
    This is my first foray into the exotic car arena. I have owned many cars; but now I am going after my dream cars b4 it is to late. Not as young as the rest of you gentlemen. I have been told on other car sites if I am concerned with the high expense of maintaining an exotic then I should not buy one.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    You have not told us what the price for the car is so that does make if difficult to give you an opinion. If the clutch goes (if I remember correctly there was not a dual mass flywheel on those models but I could be wrong) figure 3 to 4K including labor and other than it will use more oil than most cars 996's are not expensive to maintain. No spring chicken myself been through over 400 cars and pretty much at the (hearing gone, reflexes not as quick, and body likes comfort these days) been there done that stage when it comes to cars. I admire your desire to go for it and I hope it all works out. I have owned 40 Porsches and have some close ties to dealers if you want a car with less of a story. Either way, best of luck!

11. RAGTOPSL

RAGTOPSL Rookie

Jan 21, 2006
    Seaford, NY
    Full Name:
    Burt
    Hello again Morrie, I thank you and the other gentlemen for responding to my questions. The selling price for the 2001 Porsche Carrera (996) is $27,500.

12. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think that is worth it. Replace the clutch, make sure an appropriate IMS fix was done using appropriate parts (sounds like it has) and enjoy.

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I agree!

14. RAGTOPSL

RAGTOPSL Rookie

Jan 21, 2006
    Seaford, NY
    Full Name:
    Burt
    Should I still do a PPI?

15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    By all means do a PPI, but by an independent repair service. I think the price is a little high, especially for a 2001. If you go to a 02+, you get a stiffer chassis, updated headlights, a glove box and a 3.6l engine vs. 3.4l.

16. streethawk

streethawk Rookie

Apr 21, 2014
    Houston
    That price is on the higher end of the market for 911 of that year.
    Since you have the complete service history of the car, I would definitely do a PPI and proceed further.
    Good luck.

17. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    My neighbor was selling his mint 911 turbo 2002 with 50k miles for around 40 grand.

I'd probably suggest the turbo over the 28 grand 2001 911 even with a new motor.

A lot of the mint 911 turbos are becoming available as the new turbo is releasing.

The turbo motor has no IMS bearing issues.

If you purchase the 911 your discussing I understand why the clutch wasn't replaced....it probably was in excellent condition and did not need replacement at that time.

For 28 grand you are getting an amazing car. I'd probably try and confirm with the shop that did the repair that the proper IMS bearing was used.

18. rayng

rayng Rookie

Nov 9, 2006
    the 996 is more of a daily driver sports car than an exotic ferrari. don't worry about ims/rms. just buy put lots of miles on the 996.

19. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Had a 99 996. Sold it at 145k miles IIRC and with its original clutch, engine and IMS. I'd still have it as a dd if I didn't want more space and a quieter (less road noise) car for my long drives. Go for it!