'73 911S or Early 930 | FerrariChat

'73 911S or Early 930

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 930FAN, Aug 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 930FAN

930FAN Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    FrankD
    Looking for some comments or advise on which to consider.
    Would I be better of with a 73S Coupe or a Early 930 (most likely '76 or '77)?
    The 73's seem to be bringing a little more and hagerty has them valued higher
    but I know the 930's are coming on strong. I know this forum probably favors the 930
    but I thought I would put it out there anyways. All comments or opinions are welcome
    and if anyone knows of one for sale I would be interested. I might add that I own a
    original 8800 mile '79 930 already. Looking forward to the comments.
    930FAN

2. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    You have great taste in cars! What a difficult choice! I love the 2.4s of 72-73, but when I drove an early Turbo recently I thought that it seemed like a better, more powerful 911, but still had that special early car feel. Now that 2.4s's are at 300,000 dollars for a well restored car, it seems obvious that the 3.0 turbo is undervalued. The copper brown car for sale on 'the other' thread looks like a good deal, a lot of car for the money. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/porsche/344030-930-turbo-carrera-135.html
    These cars are rare, and have real competition pedigree - a standard 930 3.0 turbo won its class in the 1975 Le Mans race, finishing 15th overall! These cars are truely special, get one while you can! Congratulations on you low mileage '79. You need to get out in it more, put some miles on the old girl!

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Depends on whether you like vintage or modern-ish.

It sounds like your 930 is more of a store/preserve type of car, so going true vintage would give you a car to rack up miles without worrying about it.

I would get a '72 911, and make sure you drive the 'E' before going for the 'S'. I'm not a fan of the US bumper overriders on the '73 cars, and the one-year only oil filler door on the '72s is especially cool, IMHO.

But, really, all the pre-'74 cars are very cool.

From a price/investment angle, not sure how much more room they have to appreciate, though. The Porsche market has been on a tear since 2010.

4. 930FAN

930FAN Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    FrankD
    Looked at the pics of the copper brown '76 930 for sale.
    Looks pretty interesting and very original indeed. I have also seen a
    '73S in Gemini Blue non-sunroof car that is available. Really torn on this one.
    You don't see either of these 2 for sale often.

5. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    lets see...steak or lobster. if you are looking for a different driving experience to compliment your 79 930, the 911S is the obviously choice. the 76/77 does drive slightly lighter on its feet that the 79, but not enough which i consider really different.

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I agree. Go for the 73S.

7. Shlobeck

Shlobeck Karting

Jul 9, 2012
    Yeah if you want the best of both worlds, probably go with the 2.4s. Actually I prefer a 2.2S with the shorter stroke. A don't discredit Es either, great driver cars too. As mentioned the 3.0 litre turbos have a special racing pedigree with Porsche. Some value this others not so much. Maybe the advantage is the prices aren't as high as the S cars. I might be a little biased, but I just luv the boost and torque of the 930s, irreplaceable. I wouldn't switch mine for a long hood if I had the chance.
    Btw can I see your 8800 mile turbo, please.
    Good luck on your decision..

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I own a 930 too. My vote would be the 73 S.

As my esteemed friend bullfighter suggested, my E was one of my favs and was quicker than the S to 100. Consider a 71 or 72 E

9. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    In an ideal world, you'd get both. I miss my '72T. Great car that wasn't as modern feeling as my Turbo Carrera. I mean that in a good way. More raw and mechanical feeling.

Fortunately, there are no wrong choices here.

10. 930FAN

930FAN Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    FrankD
    #10 930FAN, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Andrea S

Andrea S Rookie

Jun 24, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have both a turbo 3.0 and a 73 S, I love both of them and really can't decide which one I prefer, but given theat you already have a nice turbo, I would go for the 73 S (or any Longhood S actually).

12. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    If you can't decide which you prefer, that must mean the 3.0 turbo is a bargain at the moment! When word gets out that these cars are great to drive the prices are going to get stronger and stronger. Remember how few they made.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that is a spectacular and spectacularly stock 3.3...she would bring a pretty penny!!!!

14. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    #14 KARICOUM, Aug 22, 2014
  15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The E's are the Porsche secret weapon... You see less of them for sale than S's

16. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Since you have a 930 already, I'd go for the more different approach with the early car. It won't be as fast or handle as well but you make up for it with that vintage vibe and the music it makes 'on the cam', something you don't get with the Turbo.

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    my biggest issue with porsches is that you cant admire the heart of the car....the engine.
    go with the 911s and feast on webers( not the f.i. model).

18. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'd just buy both ;)

19. 930FAN

930FAN Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    FrankD
    #19 930FAN, Aug 26, 2014
  20. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Your question "Would I be better of with a 73S Coupe or a Early 930 (most likely '76 or '77)?" is about what will bring the most money in the future, correct?
    Since your present 930 is not driven your interest in these cars is in full scale modeling with the best return on investment?
    With that context I would go with the 76-77 930 they can be picked up in nice shape for less than a 73S in the same shape and will most likely see a better climb in price.
    As a disclaimer, most money I have made on cars has been dumb luck with the market that discovered the same cars I like driving. I drive my 68S about 80%more than my 79 930 so maybe the S might hold stronger if enough others feel the same way?
    By the way your 67S seems like a nice example, great color.
    I missed my 67S so much I brought the 68S and will not make the same mistake of trading this one for money, easier to find money than an old S.

21. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    If you are shopping for a car as an investment you are in it for the wrong reason.

22. Lfpontes

Lfpontes Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    São Paulo
    Full Name:
    Luiz.
    I also have a 1979 930 Turbo, with a black forest engine sotreked 3.5 liter engine, big turbo blablabla

I just got a 75 Euro Carrera MFI 2.7

What a car!

Feels very light on is feet, tossable and agile.

The engine is amazing, loves to rev, and its very lively. Feels like a racing engine.

Also, the euro MFI carrera is basically a 73 RS, since they share the same engine, trans, suspension, and weight. So you have the same 73 RS driving experience, for a lot less U$. Also, they are relatively rare, with around 1.000 cars being made in 74, around 500 in 75 and around 200 in 76.
    you can learn more about them here, on a dedicated website.
    Porsche Carrera MFI 2.7 (Euro) with 911/83 RS-spec Engine

If you can find one, with a *relatively* good price, go for it.

It ticks allyour boxes. You'll get a long hood 73 RS driving experience, apreciate in value, and a different behaviour than your Turbo.

But I must admit, I am also looking for a pre-73 car, specifically a 68 or 72.
    I just love the looks of the long hood era.

Good luck!

23. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    TKO I personally Agree with you. But I also understand that not all others feel that way, like the OP and that is OK to.

24. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    73 S all day long over 930. No lag, revvy engine, lighter weight, no impact-era bumpers. The 930s used to be my dream car. I had a couple of early 911s as stepping stones to a 930; should've been the other way around.

25. 930FAN

930FAN Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    FrankD
    To TKO and Fritz,
    I appreciate and totally agree with you that the most return on investment on these cars should be 1st and foremost the enjoyment of the cars and not the potential for appreciation that may or may not occur during one's ownership. I for one can honestly say that I use to admire these early 911 cars and 930's almost weekly as a teenager looking thru the showroom window at I believe it was Bob Smith Porsche in Hollywood. I was even afraid to go in as I thought the salesman would shoo myself and my friends out. Would watch businessmen drive in and out only to dream of one day being able to do the same. It was a far reaching dream at the time as I had no car as a teen and had to use my bike or bus to move around town. Scrapped up a few dollars and bought a '75 914 in '79 from a family member for a few thousand dollars. That was a big reach at the time but a 911 was still a dream as I remember people telling me that buying was one thing but maintenance was another. I recall that 914 taking my whole pay check to do maintenance but I drove that car for about 5 years till one day I was rear ended and the car was totaled out by insurance company. Got married had kids worked like a dog for another 15+ years driving used cars my boss would sell me cheap and a honda I bought new in 89-90. Always keeping tabs on those 911's but not really understanding them much because they were getting more and more expensive every year and didn't think that day would ever come. Well in Novemeber '98 with a lot of good fortune and years of long days I walked into a dealership and bought a brand new 996 CAB. Picked the car up at 2pm at McKenna Porsche drive home got my son then went to pick up my dad who was dying of COPD and drove like hell to San Diego with the top down all 3 of us in the Porsche to see the Yankees play the Padres in the World Series game 4. A day I will never forget for all 3 of us. Dad was a big baseball fan but never saw a World Series game in person and this was his last chance in my opinion. We had a blast in that car driving south from LA. A dream come true and to have my son also with us made it special plus plus. Kept and babied that car till 2011. It was my special car for the weekend. Fast forward....I got more and more interested in the classics but was really clueless where to begin till one day I stumbled onto one of these great forums. I have been just a looker for some time but been fortunate enough to acquire a few great classic porsches which I drive as often as I can. Just trying to build a little collection. I realize I am a very late entrant into this hobby and that a lot of guys on these registries have owned these fine cars for many years and paid little or nothing for them in most cases. I don't have a problem with that at all as I too have made investments that have had great returns over the long term. I am most definitely a newbie but don't hold it against me or others like me because let's face it the prices today for these automobiles has escalated to a level that has
    priced out many just as I was priced out in my younger years. I am as much an enthusiast as anyone in my opinion and a look forward almost daily to reading about these cars many threads and conversations from what I refer to as the "GURUS" on this site and a couple others. Much appreciate all the insight given here positive and negative and look forward to making some friends also as we all most definitely love these cars.