914 vs 944 | FerrariChat

914 vs 944

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Attitude928, Aug 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Which is more fun?

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If you plan to drive it once in a while and just on the street, the 914. For any other use (part time DD, track use, autox etc.) the 944.

3. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I've had more fun with 914s in the streets. Skinnier tires on the 914s were key.

Having said this, I've had more driving fun in either 914 and 944 than most of my 911s. Keep in mind that I highly value balanced handling in driving experiences.

4. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    No experience with the 914, but had had 3 944's - they are a lot of fun on the street. Great cars and fantastic styling inside and out.

5. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    Well, given your username, I can see that you've already discovered my fave Porsche (928). Having said that, the 914 would be an amazing car to whip around on occasion (weekend car, going to Cars and Coffee, etc.). Just a fun car all around, and it's 100% vintage, so that only adds to the fun/cool factor. The 944 is more civilized, yet still a lot of fun to drive. Sort of a tossup here, IMO. A friend of mine has a 1986 944 Turbo with 29K miles for sale if you're interested. The best example I've ever seen.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My Porsche tech races a 914. Nice bridge between vintage and modern.

7. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  8. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I love the looks of the 914-6.
    For it to be really exciting, perhaps a 2.7 liter in it.

I think the stock 914-6's are very undervalued. Designed by Porsche. Engine (6 cylinder) by Porsche. Produced on the same assembly line as the 911.

The looks are just getting better and better with time.

Very few sold as VW charged Porsche so much for the body under the agreement that the price difference with the 911 T was so slight. You had to really want one to purchase it.

944 is a spectacular car. But much more modern and heavy. Not a vintage feel.

9. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Though I've not driven the 914, it's gotta be fun. I was looking at a Lotus Europa yesterday, and I remember the day in '75 that I was looking at a Europa and a 914 side by side and talking to the owners.

I had a long time love affair with a 944 Turbo S. Bought it twice. Sold it to a guy that had six. That car has a cult following.

For fun though. I'm guessing the 914 would be sweet. Just a toy.

10. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Open roads
    I've been looking at 914 2.0 and 944 turbo s also. Totally different but unique. Also have always liked the Europa very much. Its would be a fun car. What do you think.

11. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    I'd say 951. Great drive that was better than 911 at the time.

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I had a 914 for several years and absolutely loved it.

13. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells

I would second this. The 951 is a bit of a more investment. Otherwise, I would go 914.

14. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    #14 jerhofer, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have owned a couple 914's in my past with one of them being a 914-6. And I have had a number of normally aspirated 944's and a couple 944 Turbo's in the past as well. The 914 is much cruder than any of the 944's with the build quality being so-so. But they are a blast to drive because of the light weight and the fact that the engine sound is ever present.

The NA 944's are a much more modern car, especially the '85 1/2's and newer because of the improved interior and better AC. They are very neutral to drive and make great autocross and track cars. My wife and I tracked an '83 944 for five years with my son owning it another three years after we were finished with it. We lived in Indiana at the time and hauled a 5'x 8' trailer behind it with tools, track wheels and tires, bicycles, chairs, etc. I hauled that trailer as far away as Road Atlanta and Pocono. We would both drive the car on the track, load everything up and head for home. Never let us down once. That is a pretty strong testament to the durability of the cars.

The only other car that I have ever owned for five years was a 1987 944 Turbo that I bought new. We autocrossed it but never tracked it as it was our travel car. We drove that car from Indiana to Quebec City, to Florida and Charleston, SC a couple times each. Fantastic road car as it had plenty of room for luggage and got great gas mileage. Plus it was very fast on the top end. Not so hot out of the hole until the turbo spooled up but once you were moving, it really motored on.

My son recently purchased a '87 NA 944 for his son so the tradition continues in our family. However, he is seriously contemplating a LS transplant. That would be fun!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    Going on 12 years ownership with my 944, and finally got a chance to drive a 914 1.8 this summer (always been a fan).

My first thought after driving a few blocks was "This is cool but I wouldn't give my 944 up for it". The two cars are worlds apart, and I mean polar opposites. The 914 is very anemic and everything about it feels like a vintage car. Took me a few miles before I could even find all five gears smoothly on the first try. Felt very VWish but oozed charm.

Once I had it down, it was a little sweetheart and I'd love to own one someday. That said, it's amazing how much more modern the 944 feels despite only being ten years newer, and the build quality isn't even in the same universe. It just does everything better.

It all comes down to whether you solely want the look, feel and charisma of a classic car, or a "modern classic" that is still a very good car by todays standards.

16. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey

There's no car that old that I'd want to own and drive on a regular basis. I've come to like (and appreciate) newer car standards of performance (e.g., acceleration, braking, and cornering), reliability (e.g., electronic ignition and fuel injection) and quality (e.g., rust proofing) that just weren't there in these legacy cars that we longingly dream about.

I had a '92 968 (successor to the 944) and it felt fairly modern, but the newer Porsches are superior in every way. If you have a hankering for a mid-engine Porsche, try a Boxster. You'll like it....alot!

17. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    The 914 is more fun on the street, slow car driving fast, than a 944 but a 944 is a better every day car and more fun on the track.

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I had a 914 in college and still have it but rusted and stashed away.
    Great fun car.
    If Fun is the requirement hard to beat a 914.

Always wanted the 944 but now another 914 would be my pick.

How much are 914/6's going for ?