School me on 997s | FerrariChat

School me on 997s

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 355dreamer, Aug 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I've gotten pretty serious about swapping out DD duty from my BMW 535 wagon to a porsche 997. My kids are still small enough to fit in the backseat if needed (3 and 5), and I feel as though the Pbug can scratch my itch for a fun car/DD since I've sold my 355 until I find the next Italian.

That all being said, I don't know a lot about them. I'd like to spend about 50-60k at most.

What should I look out for?
    What years should I avoid?
    What options are a must?
    I'm attracted to the C4S, as some of my DD duties in the DC area include winter weather. Bad idea?
    I still love the 993 the most. Would that fill the bill?

Edumucate me...

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The 997 is a beautiful car! If I were to get one, I would look for a 997.2 (09+) because the DFI motor gets rid of the IMS worries. However, they are not completely bulletproof as some have had HPFP problems. The 997.2 models also have the updated LED tail lights and front marker lights.

Options? Sport chrono, PASM, PSE and PDK.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I have C2S, but folks I know with C4S love them for handling, plus wider stance. Based on my test drives, you want S model at least, but drive as much of 911 range as you can, to see diffs, plus you get familiar with what is normal performance & what is not. Helps if & when you drive a car that is not up to snuff, since any salesman will always rejoinder ”they all do that” & you'll know better & who deserves your hard earned money. Agree, target 997.2 if that is within your spend plan. If you have smart phone & have not done so, download cars.com & autotrader apps not only to see inventory, but get idea of reasonable price range of model you want, popular options, etc. Decide on what options/colors you really want, what you can live without, which would be nice to have, etc. For me, it was Ferrari colors - red over tan. Then stick to your guns! Hence, no buyers remorse. Most importantly, enjoy the search, and if you're like me - married to an awesome gal - get them involved in the hunt.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    P.s.! Get CPO'd car, if you can, but still do your due diligence, like PPI.

5. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1. '09 or newer. Nothing with an IMS. Why take a risk if you don't have to? Otherwise great cars. I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Scott

6. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I just sold my 355 and bought a 2007 Carrera S. Wonderful car. Yes, there is a potential risk with the IMS bearing, but 2007's have the "big" bearing and Porsche shops that I spoke to had not seen a failure in person yet. I did buy it from a Porsche dealership and got a CPO warranty. They are really nice cars to drive. I wanted something as a daily driver for the spring/summer/fall and the 355 definitely wasn't it.

Oh, you can get the equivalent of the sport chrono installed at a Porsche dealer if the car did not come with it. It gives you the software mods without the stopwatch (that some people don't like anyways).

Rick.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    IMHO, the 997 is the best looking water cooled 911. I owned a new 2012 991s for two years and ended up trading it for a 2012 CPO 997TTS. Be sure you get an 997.2.

8. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    The 997's are my favorite 911's made. Don't be afraid to get a 2006-2008, the IMS bearing in larger. I have a 2008 Boxster and don't worry at all about the IMS.

9. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    IMHO, 997.2 is a must if you have $50-60K as your budget. It has a great updated motor and DFI. Then you need to fit a Tubi exhaust that includes center bypass. This makes a world of difference as the stock DFI is extremely quiet as Porsche needs to pass strict euro sound requirements.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I had a 2006 997 C4S. Drove her everyday, including in Chicago winter. Sold her with 62k miles. Had engine replaced under warranty because of the RMS leak. Other than that, the car was good. Mufflers were replaced early on as they had metallic sound (under warranty also). Car was a blast. Esp with muffler by pass..sounded amazing. Get a 997 GTS, replace muffler with by pass by fab speed and enjoy. Bet a manual.

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ah i see your budget is $60k at most. Then get a clean 997.2 C4S in manual. Turbos are great but for daily, i never needed more power and they simply sound like sh*t compared to the NA 997 with mufflers by pass.

12. Peace Frog

Peace Frog Formula Junior

Apr 5, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Chad Denning
    I have a 993 C4 and I couldn't imagine living with it as a daily driver. I love it immensely, don't get me wrong, but for a car of the 90's it seems like late 70's early 80's vintage. Very analog. Very heavy steering. The clutch is very stiff and with the way the prices are climbing on 993s, you'll be paying a premium. Also, I've noticed this summer (my first year of owning it) that the AC absolutely is horrid in stop/go traffic. Once it gets some air moving across it, it chills down and is pleasant, but sitting at a light too long can make the temp creep up enough to be noticeable and my mechanic said I had a SPECTACULAR AC unit when he did a baseline once over on it when I brought it home.

I'm actually considering a 996 or 997 to daily drive because I love the idea of a DD performance car, like you, but not sure I want to give up the creature comforts we've grown accustomed to. The 996's are so far down on the depreciation curve that even if there was an RMS failure you're not out a ton. Almost (ALMOST) a disposable fun car at some of those prices...

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    considering that a 997 is a much better value than a 993 (which continues to rise in price)... you really can't go wrong. I'd say go for a turbo.

14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    That is pretty much my feelings on the air cooled market. A friend who wants to get into Porsches, desperately wants an air cooled Carrera. I told him they are great cars, but because of the crazy prices, he's better off getting a 996 or 997. It is a more modern car and a better value.

15. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I made the same move a while back but went with a 2009 for the minor updates. It took some getting used to after spending so much time in a 355, but it eventually grew on me to the point where I'm not sure what I'd ever replace it with. Tech was never a big deal to me but after a few long trips with air conditioned seats, satnav, built in ipod hookup, and no fear of the car exploding, I was sold.

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Buy a car thats appreciating in value vs depreciating ?
    If it were a stock or home where would you put your money ?
    If he desperately wants an air cooled buy an air cooled.

17. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I buy cars to drive and enjoy, but for an investment, I'd get an air cooled. For drivability, I'd get a water cooled. I consider myself very fortunate as I have both. The unfortunate part of the air cooled market, is people see the run up and think they can sell their mediocre cars for top dollar. Now, a really nice, low mileage, 911 Carrera will cost you $40k+. For that amount, you can get a 996 turbo or a 997.

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Buy a 993 C4S.

Matt

19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I recently purchased my first 911.. It was a 997 2010 carrera s with PDK .. the car has 28K miles and is black fairly well loaded in perfect conditions and has full history along with a 2 year warranty.Paid 59K .. In any case I really like the car it is a blast to drive .. Now my brother has a 2011 4s which he paid about 80 for and I think they are about the a same speed .. very solid car and love the smaller size compared the cars I am used to driving it is a very nimble feeling car very street able and sounds great at upper RPM range..

I am no porsche expert but really like the car so far..and recommend the PDK although the manual will be less expensive..

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    They are no longer $60k unless he buys a trashed one.

21. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The CPO cars have a 100,000 mile warranty!

22. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Try both the 997 Carrera and Carrera S, as it's been said that the S engine isn't as eager to rev, isn't as sweet.

23. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Best Motoring in Japan did a video comparing a 360, NSX, 350z, 996 turbo, 997 Carrera and Carrera S. In comparing the Carrera and the S, IIRC the guy liked the Carrera better.

24. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #24 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    Anyone know anything about the X51 package on .2 Ss? Does it address some of the issues people have mentioned with the DFI 3.8?

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #25 Smiles, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017