Turbo Questions..... | FerrariChat

Turbo Questions.....

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by mikesufka, Sep 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Gentleman -

I'm hunting for a sports car. The last one I owned was a 2001 Dodge Viper RT/10.

I'm currently thinking about a 997 Turbo(manual) or a 997 GT3. I test drove a 996 Turbo last weekend and will be testing a 997.2 GT3 next Sunday.

With regards to the 997 Turbo's, anything I need to know?

Years to have or to stay away from?
    Must have Options?
    Advice?

Thanks,

Mike Sufka
    St. Cloud, MN

2. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have a 2012 997 Turbo with 6 speed manual. I have the full carbon fiber package and the Bose Audio package, red seat belts, black full leather with red sticking. It is very nice. Best Porsche I have had so far. I drive it daily, and have driven it in the snow and all kinds of weather. The AWD is great, but with the wide tires is not best on ice. With the extra turbo boost and race suspension activated, it is close to boost and HP of the Turbo S. But I love the manual transmission, not so common anymore. But compared to GT3, the Turbo has all the bells and whistles.

3. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    2007-2009 Turbos (997.1) have the Mezger 3.6 engine, which is pretty much bulletproof, though there is the possibility of coolant fittings failing on cars that are driven hard (GT3s have the same issue). They are available with 6-speed manual or Tiptronic transmissions. 2009 models have the updated PCM with iPod support. Ventilated seats also became available in 2009. If you get a 997.1, try to find a 2009.

2010-2013 997 Turbos have the newer 9A1 3.8 engine, with a little bit more power, and are available with 6-speed manual or 7-speed PDK transmissions. PDK models will get you a ridiculous 0-60 time if you don't mind missing a pedal. 6-speed 997.2 Turbos are quite rare. Turbo S models were only available with PDK, but they put out a good 550hp. Turbo S models come standard with center-lock wheels, but could be optioned without them. Center-locks provide some challenges for changing wheels, limited aftermarket options, and some have had bad experiences with wheels falling off at the track (another issue more commonly seen on GT3s).

4. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I was considering both the GT3 and Turbo.

You are smart to drive both and determine which one fits your needs better. The GT3 is more of a occasional street and track car. For me, it would not be a daily driver where you live for 4 months a year. It is not as comfortable as a Turbo and lacks the creature comforts. Clutch, for some, requires more pressure than most other cars. It is difficult to see backing up as there is no rear camera option. That all said, its a wonderful car, and more unique and in your face, than the Turbo.

If plan to drive the car in NE and CO, 12 months a year, I would go with the turbo. The turbo road clearance is higher than the GT3 too.

Too early to tell right now, but I believe the older GT3's and Turbos you're pursuing are much better engineered than what you can buy new today, especially if planning to keep the car for many years.

Be interested to hear your feedback after driving the GT3. If haven't already, you may want post on Rennlist which is a dedicated Porsche forum. Good luck.

Must have for the GT3 if planning to track are sport seats. Perhaps front lifter if going up steep driveways. The turbo, as far as I know, does not have an option for sport seats. Good luck, enjoy the hunt and test drives.

5. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Thanks guys - very helpful.

MDS