GT3 vs. Turbo - Part II | FerrariChat

GT3 vs. Turbo - Part II

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by mikesufka, Sep 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Gentleman -

I posted about a year ago asking opinions about the Porsche Turbo and the GT3. I had zero experience with either, but was thinking one of them would be my next car.

In any case, I'm getting more serious and had the chance to drive a 996 Turbo and a 997.2 GT3 within the last two weeks.

My last sports car was a 2001 Viper RT/10. I use the car to run back and forth to my lake home, which is about 90 miles from where I live. Roads could be highway or two lane country roads, depending what I want to do. I sold it because I didn't like the "roof was either on or off concept" among other reasons.

Anyway, I loved the 996 Turbo. I'm sure the 997 Turbo is even better. Very comfortable car. Fast as hell.

The problem is, I loved the GT3 too. More raw. That motor just wailed with the 8500 RPM redline. I'll admit though, not as comfortable. And louder inside at cruising speeds.

My dilemma now is I'm not sure what to go after. The GT3 is a wicked car, but common sense says the Turbo might make more sense for what I want to do.

My goal is to have either a 997.1 Turbo or GT3 within the next six months. The question is what do I buy? Any thoughts?

Mike

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The 997.2 GT3 is a fantastic car. Much more memorable to drive than any Turbo car. It's also double the price of a 997 Turbo (unless you buy a very recent 997.2 Turbo). You can get very nice 997.1 Turbo for $70k and they will keep getting cheaper.

997.2 GT3s (and GT3 in general) will not drop anymore. If you dont need the backseats and the AWD (Snow), then go for the GT3.

3. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    Why not a used R8 V10? You get the high revving engine, manual, AWD with more comfort than a GT3 911. That's what I would chose.

4. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I think only you can answer this. Do you want comfy or raw?

I know which one I want... hence why I have GT3 in the garage. I love every minute of it. However, other people are annoyed with how loud it is, how stiff the ride is, all the odd noises it makes. So thus, the turbo is more appropriate for them.

Be ready to spend some money on a GT3 though.

5. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    "Comfy or Raw" - that is the question, isn't it.....

MDS

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I was looking to trade my 40k mile 991C2S DD for a 2011 GT3 RS to use as my DD. However, after a short test drive, I went with a 2012 997 Turbo-S instead. The GT3 was just too low and rough riding to use as a DD.

7. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    996 tt is cheap. 997 tt is a much better car. I had 5 examples of each and could never get used to the clutch in the 996.

8. Desperado

Desperado Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2007
    Pittsburgh/Djibouti
    Full Name:
    Tom
    GT2 is the perfect answer but then again I am biased.

9. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
    You been out ridin' fences for so long now
    Oh, you're a hard one
    I know that you got your reasons
    These things that are pleasin' you
    Can hurt you somehow

10. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    GT2 has to be an absolute blast. I think the GT2RS is one of the best bargains out there at the moment. Low production numbers, great power, MT, RWD. I see their value increasing over the years.

11. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The GT3 is a magnificent car. It is truly a race car that is street legal. To appreciate it, you really have to drive it. Then the sharp steering, incredible brakes and "stick like glue" cornering are appreciated.

But for your use, a trip up the highway (or 2 lane) to the lake house, the 997tt is the better ride IMHO. It is "soft' in comparison to the GT3, but it is not a soft car. The 997tt can have power added easily and AWD is not a bad thing at these power levels.

Yeah, a GT2RS is a very cool car. Twin turbo power, but "only" RWD. It is more street car than the GT3, but will acquit itself well on the track. However, limited production, and while it may appreciate in value (adding miles usually decreases value except with rare cars), you will pay a big premium over a 997tt.

Fun choices to make!!!

Regards,
    Jerry

12. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I am pretty impressed with how well even 996 GT3s have held their value.

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The effortless power and more comfy approach of the Turbo will make it a great daily driver, but a 997.1 GT3 would be far more appealing to me. If you care about this sort of thing, the GT3 will hold it's value and will go up in the coming years whereas the turbo will just drop and drop and drop....

The noise alone should be more than reason enough to take the GT3 ;).

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Whatever you do, don't get the 996 Turbo heh. Personally I think the 997 interiors are ugly, so I'd rather have the GT3. A meh interior is more acceptable to me if it's in a car that's supposed to be down on luxury in the first place.

15. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I have an offer in on a GT3. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the replies. Wish me luck.

MDS

16. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Hopefully it works out. I think you made the right choice!

17. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    It's mine.....:)

Thanks for the help.

MDS

18. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Congrats! Post some pictures up when you get a chance. I drove mine into work today, despite the rain. I couldn't resist!

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Well done

20. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong