Lemon 991 GT3 | FerrariChat

Lemon 991 GT3

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bart12, Oct 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Will buy a recalled 991 GT3 even if the engine has been replaced?

There are alot of recalled cars out there selling for MSRP or even above MSRP and allotments are coming.

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #2 joe sackey, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Covered in a thorough & spirited discussion here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/porsche/462485-991-gt3-pricing.html

Strictly speaking, Recalls & Lemon Buy Back cars are two separate things.

There are 20 cars which ended up being classified as "Lemon Buy Back" cars, and yes, even they are selling in the retail market at MSRP or above.

Here below is the list of the 20.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Very useful. Thanks

4. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I am offered a build date December but an untitled gt3 is available for immediate delivery that is why I am at odds about what to do?

5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    take the build for December you get what you want versus buying a car that is not to what you wanted. With the cars bought back be careful. Dealers bought them almost at MSRP and several dealers are asking $15k over MSRP. I have a December production car as well and just sold my 2014 GT3.

PNA is cutting off all production of GT3's after December to work on the GT3RS.

Good luck.

6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Anyone know if the engine replacement GT3's were kept outside in the elements at the port?

Correct, no more 991 GT3 production after Dec 2014. Actually, there probably isn't any more 991.0 GT3's until next wave of updates, until maybe 2016 at the earliest.

7. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Most of the gt3's at port did in fact side outside. Numerous pictures of cars outside exist on renlist.

8. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Where did you get this info?
    I might just get this last allocation then.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The engine swap GT3s will be worth less in the future than the later GT3s that were completed and delivered with the improved engine.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Bear in mind that the 20 buy-back cars and all the engine swap cars all have the same improved engine, and Porsche Ag is giving these cars an extra year's warranty. This has leveled the playing field. But I agree that anytime you can order a car and spec it the way you want, that can be the most satisfying.

11. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    #11 Zinger, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    I ordered a 2015 GT3. Delivery is in late December. I hate to wait but I feel more comfortable with a "fresh" build and to have the engine problems a non issue.

I just hope the car is as fun to drive as my 458 Italia. I have been without a Porsche for about 4 years so I am looking forward to owning another!

So, if production stops I assume these cars will retain values very well until the newer 991.2 GT3 comes out...? I hope so, my 458 is dropping like a rock right now

12. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I am in thesame boat, the last time I owned a Pcar was 4 years ago my unforgettable 997.2 C4S which I still think I made a mistake trading it for my F430. I mean, I should have kept both. But the good side, now I have my scud and I want GT3.

My scud is a keeper, I will let it sit for 30 years then sell it, kidding:>

M 5 cent, keep your 458 until prices stabilize, then sell. I sold my used F430 2 years ago and I sold it priced thesame when I bought it used.

13. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I made a deposit for a december build car for January delivery. For those who ordered their cars, is 1 month a realistic delivery time? I thought it is about 3 months.

I made my options, no CCB, no axle lift, with light weight seats and CF interior, sport chrono. $141 MSRP.

I did not want CCB because even with my scud, when you track it you change it to steel and put back the CCB when selling.

Thanks guys for all your input.

14. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I had a 2008 997 Turbo with a Stage 3 kit, MANUAL!

I too, sold my Porsche for a F430. Though being my first Ferrari was amazing the F430 was short lived and I got into 458 within a year. 458 is sooo much more car.

I can't keep both, the 458 is dropping now so I am in the process of selling. I can always buy another when they hit the floor in a few years

I feel real good about the GT3. Though less power I am looking forward to being back in a Porsche and the GT3 just looks like a blast to drive. It will be sad to see the 458 go but the GT3 will hold values waaay better. Besides, its fun to change things up a bit. I usually flip cars every year now I am keeping them about 1 1/2 years so its an improvement...

I loaded mine up, white, blk leather/alacantara with platinum stitch
    PCCB's
    Lifter
    LED's
    Leather dash
    Sound Plus pack
    XM radio
    Heated seats (yes I will drive in winter)
    Yellow seat belts
    Carbon interior

and some other odds and ends. Sticker is 162k but I like the goodies :)

Ryan

15. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    #15 slm, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo

Nice color. Can you post a pic of ur interior? I was thinking about red ext with red gauges and trim also.

17. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Will try to get some in next day or so. Mine has extended leather, red stitching and red belts.

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

hard to say... arguably these cars will be the lowest production porsches made in decades. These will have a unique story... and in many many many years... people may like that and the issues will obviously be fixed and it will just be an interesting story.

Im not saying 100% this is the way it will be... but... all it takes is one of those cars to ring the bell at an auction... and all of a sudden they will become desirable...

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Interesting thoughts, to which I agree, with a slightly more pointed view.

IMHO, Porsche Ag waved a magic wand and now its as if the original engines never happened. By the simple expedient of a trick new blueprinted engine 'breathed upon' by the works with a full extended warranty, the past is, as they say, history. As I have said before, I have it on good authority that in order to ensure there were no more issues, 991 GT3 owners are inadvertently the beneficiaries of the most bullet-proof 911 engine of recent time. So, yes, I agree, in time I think GT3s will be sought after for the aforementioned, and the engine saga will have worked in the car's favor in the end. Consider this: every single 991 GT3 ever built now has the same engine with a factory warranty.

As regards the market, I watch pretty closely, and as the auctions showed us, at the end of the day, there will be no difference between so-called lemons (buybacks), cars with engines replaced, or cars built with the new engines. It will all simply come down to year, mileage, condition, and specification. Nothing else will matter.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    agreed.

In 3 decades (for example) it likely wont matter. And... if it does... it will swing the way of more desirable. I don't see it ever being seen as less desirable except for maybe the next 10 years. I personally think those cars with the branded titles will be severly affected by the branded title. While right now its not a big deal... in 4 years when you can choose between 10 cars for sale... are you going to take the car with the branded title or the car with the regular title assuming all other things are equal...

Also, I feel for the near future the value will be effected because people are so obsessed with carfax and the layman will not be familiar with this issue. It will report as a lemon and people wont even pick up the phone to ask why. You will lose the buyer before they even call. Also, what will effect the value is banks (most) will not finance the car and some insurance companies may have an issue with the cars value and furthermore if the car were totaled you might have a few extra conversations about the cars true value.

Again, this is all 100% opinion based on being in the Biz as well as just buying and trading lots of cars.

21. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Only time will tell. I think compared with other cars which are branded or lemons and with a different circumstance, these branded title GT3s will still have a chance of not getting affected. If they become a collectible car, a collector would understand that the cars where corrected and it would not matter. Fifty years from now, if I where a collector and wanted one, if it was restored, it would not matter.

A lot of people are so obsessed by a recall, this recall was somewhat corrected correctly, that porsche did not want their name or brand tarnished so before damage could spread, "LETS REPLACE ALL ENGINES!" Probably they are also afraid of a class action suit. Most likely.

22. ackull

ackull Rookie

Nov 14, 2015
    So, I've read all the threads on the engine issues. I know of a 2014 that is for sale with 5k miles. The engine was replaced. They are asking list price for the car (~$150k). It has an extended warranty on it.

The dealership thought it would sell immediately. Well, 5 weeks later and they are still sitting on it.

I am just curious what everyone thinks a car like this is worth? I am going to track the car, so I am not looking for a museum piece. However, I don't want to be the sucker that paid too much.

23. AutobahnA8

AutobahnA8 Rookie

Jan 23, 2011
    Exactly why I went for a 2015 - future resale.

If I didn't have to consider resale, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a motor swapped 2014.