599 GTB or 991 GT3 | FerrariChat

599 GTB or 991 GT3

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jvecchi, Oct 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Well, I have an opportunity to order a new 991 GT3, but I'd have to sell my 2007 599 GTB to afford it. I've had the 599 for 3 summers and have put 9000 miles on it. My practical side (and my wife) says get the GT3 - new car with warranty, local dealer to do the maintenance instead of shipping the car across state, it will hold its value or appreciate at least in the short term, it's more suited to the roads I drive. But, I bought the 599 for 'heart' reasons - the looks, the sound, the joy of Ferrari ownership, being a tifosi, and of course the driving experience. So, I'm really torn what to do. I need to decide in the next few days. Any opinions out there?

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Once you drive the 991 GT3, you will no longer remember this dilemma.

3. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Usually I have this problem when the car I am purchasing is unseen. No matter how much the car is better than your present car, doubts will linger. But you know, everytime I see the new car I plan to buy, I cannot wait to sign the papers and give him my old car.

Whatever you decide, you wont get wrong with it.

4. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    You mention depreciation. Is the 599 going to depreciate less vs the GT3 being that the Ferrari is almost 8 years old?

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    A 599 is more like a TTS than a GT3. When I needed a new DD, I went with a 997TTS over a GT3. But, if you're wanting a weekend fun car that won't depreciate much, get a 997GT3RS.

6. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I read it as "appreciation"....perhaps he's referring to the fact they are currently selling for at or above MSRP...and possibly will do so for the next 12 months ~

7. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Yep, that's what I meant. IMO, as more F12's get out there, 599's are going to continue to depreciate. My guess they'll bottom out around $120k. In other threads is this category have suggested, the 991 GT3 is going to at least hold value for awhile.

8. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Well, to finish the thread, the dealer and I couldn't come to terms on the value of my 599 - we were too far apart to find a comfortable compromise. So, it looks the 599 will continue to share garage space with my '10 997.2 Turbo. I'm fine with that.

9. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    After some soul searching, and realizing this probably be my only real chance to get a new 991 GT3, I came to an agreement to trade my '07 Ferrari 599 for one. The dealer had to order a GT3 to use his allocation, so he ordered one to the specs we had been discussing at the time. It came in last Friday. After some negotiating, I agreed to do the deal. I'm having a SharkWerks bypass exhaust and tips installed, along with stone chip guard and hand controls (I have limited use of my legs from a spinal cord injury I suffered some years ago), so it'll be a few weeks before I take delivery. But, I'll have a GT3 to park beside my '10 997.2 Turbo.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

congrats and merry Christmas!!

11. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Most excellent! Welcome to the other side... ;)

12. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I have owned a F430 and a 458 Italia. I sold those two cars and now have a 2015 GT3 ordered/delivered to my spec. I love the car, it is truly amazing to drive and the best Porsche ever for the money hands down. I think you will be happy with your decision.

13. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Congrats and enjoy! We'll be looking forward to your pics!

14. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    ^Live, love and learn this quote!

15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Apples and oranges to me. Gt3 for track and 599 for street. Different tools for different jobs.

Regardless, congrats on gt3. What color?

16. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Here's the spec:

Sapphire Blue Metallic
    Standard Interior in Black/Alcantara®
    Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
    Floor Mats
    Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes
    Extended Range Fuel Tank
    Front Axle Lift System
    Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App
    SiriusXM® Sat Radio/NavTraffic/NavWeather, HD Radio Receiver
    Telephone Module
    Sound Package Plus
    Porsche Communication Management incl. Navigation Module

I'm also having a SharkWerks bypass exhaust with 88mm tips installed before delivery.

17. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    The carsounds gorgeous. Post pics when you can.

Happy holidays

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    You've had your fun with the 599 now's the time to try the GT3 :)

19. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Update: The weather in here Pittsburgh has finally improved to the point that I can finally put some miles on my new GT3. Love the car! In comparison to the 599 I had, here are my thoughts.

Things I love about the 599 vs the GT3:
    Sound - The sound of the V12 is glorious. The GT3 sounds good, but it will never compare to the 599.
    Presence - the 599 in Rossa Corsa just has a presence that Porsches just don't seem to have in my opinion (and I have 2 Porsches - the GT3 and a 997.2 TT).
    Price of ownership - there was just something about being a Ferrari owner that just clicked with me.

Things I love about the GT3 vs the 599:
    Driving - for the roads that I drive, the GT3 is a much better steer. The 599 was nimble for it's size and weight, but the GT3 is an order of magnitude above it.
    No muss, no fuss - the 599 was a pain, in that if you didn't do the starting drill in the right way, I always got nuisance error messages, etc. In the GT3 you just twist the key and go.
    Maintenance - there's no Ferrari dealer in Pittsburgh, while there are 2 Porsche dealers. Sending the 599 to Philly for any 'dealer work' was a pain and expensive. And, the GT3 has a warranty - the 599 didn't.

All that said, I love both of my Porsches, but there's a part of me that misses my Italian mistress...

20. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    here is something you wont miss. The shocks are starting to leak on 599 Ferraris. Of course the **** head factory wont cover the repair because its out of warranty. Guess how much that is per shock? Ive owned five Ferrari cars and now have a Porsche GT3 991 and a Porsche Boxster GTS. Could not be happier to be away from the Ferrari Dealer warranty non sense. IMHO. Jon in Delaware

21. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
  22. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Ugh! Blinded by the mystic.^^^^

23. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It funny you know... you always want what you don't have.

I had a 997 GT3 RS and sold it to buy a 599.

Then I sold the 599 and bought a 458 and another 997 GT3 RS.

599 was a beautiful thing, it just isn't so good and being driven hard on twisty bits.

I think you should buy an F12 and then you will have the best of both worlds!

24. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Believe me, if I had the resources to own both a GT3 and an F12 I would...

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    How much?

What he said. Love the blues in the newer Porsches.