997 gt2 vs 991 turbo S | FerrariChat

997 gt2 vs 991 turbo S

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by slm, Oct 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Interested on knowledgable thoughts. I am looking to fill a void in the barn. I have a 991 gt3 and I am looking to replace my SPF G40. I am looking at a 997 GT2 and GT2 RS, but the new turbo s look really interesting. I am looking for a raw performance car. Does anyone know how the gt2s compare to the new turbo S's?

2. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    For raw performance, the GT2 has a manual transmission, and few nannies. The GT2 RS has PSM, but 620 HP and still has a manual transmission. I would not consider the 991 Turbo S a "raw performance" car, unless you're looking just at raw acceleration.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  4. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    991 Turbo is great car..but it is far from raw.

5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Yes, i have seen starting to think that also. Your thoughts on the GT3RS vs GT2RS?

I was wondering if the the overall performance to the new turbo S is that much better to consider it compared to the older RS cars.

Thanks all.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The new Turbo S is probably faster than a GT2 RS. I have seen vids of it eclipsing an aventador to 1000m.

But..If it's similar to previous Turbos, it is far from exciting. And there will be thousands of them.

I'd go for a 997 GT2 or 997 GT3 RS.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    997 GT2 RS represents the best value in modern Porsches for long-term collectibility IMO.

it has all the benefits of the 997 GT3 (great chassis, manual gearbox, Metzger engine) with the added benefits of more exclusivity (except for the 4.0) and 600+ bhp.

for whatever reason the GT2 RS hasn't participated in the ridiculous runup in prices we've seen from 4.0s (and even "standard" 997.2 RSs), so I think now is a great time to buy.

8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks Chas. I agree with all and hence the reasons I am considering it.

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I am with you. The only downside is I bet it outruns brakes and ability to run cool on track. I bet the GT3RS is a more satisfying car to run hard on track lap after lap.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think someone like yourself would be able to enjoy the power of the 2RS :)

and yes, I'd be throwing a set of Cup car front brake cooling ducts on one if I was going to do any serious track use with it.

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Without question.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not so.

Have you see the prices being asked for GT2 RS lately? Gaining on 4.0 RS territory.

For now, you can still buy a 3.6 RS and a 3.8 RS for reasonable money, but given the feedback I'm getting from owners and the dwindling of cars on the market, that too wont last long. Not only can you have fun with them and run them hard as track cars, they will appreciate in value.

Without question, the best value in the market today for a Mezger-engine manual-gearbox raw performance car is a 997 3.6 RS or 3.8 RS.

Additionally, the NA 3.6, 3.8 & 4.0 RS are already celebrated in Porsche's history as end-of-an-era Halo cars that are very collectible. There is a reason why publications such as EVO repeatedly pick the GT3 RS as COTY or the Ultimate Driver's car, and not the GT2 RS. The GT3 RS is the culmination of the RS theme that embraced a NA Mezger engine mated with a manual gearbox in 1973. It ended with the 2011 997 GT3 RS, and for that reason (and more besides) it will always be an important car for Porsche. For the aforementioned reasons, the GT3 RS represents much better long-term collectibility than the GT2 RS. Anyone who loves Porsches and has the means should have a GT3 RS, IMO. If you've got even more resources, have a 1973 RS and a 2011 RS, as some have indeed done.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #13 joe sackey, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ultimately (as we have seen in these Porsche threads!) it often simply comes down to personal choice, and not to any form of logic. Everyone is different and you have to satisfy yourself only.

However, seeing that you have a 991 GT3, I know that you will appreciate the GT3 RS. That is my exact scenario, and in my case, the GT3 helps me appreciate the RS better, and vice versa! Its a match made in heaven IMO, a combination of a PDK-S car that I can use daily if I like, versus the raw RS for special occasions that I also have the satisfaction of knowing is a true collectible Porsche.

I can only recommend the RS, after all, I'm walking my talk.

FWIW, Bill in Atlanta may be able to weigh in on this too, because he has the RS too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    not really....there's still a $75-100k price gap between 2RS's and 4.0's (2RS is a $275-325k car, 4.0 is a $350-400k+ car).

further, as a percentage of their original MSRP (still a valid metric, given how new the cars are), 4.0s are at 200+ % of their MSRP, 2RSs are only at 125% of their MSRP ($189k and $249k, respectively). comparatively, "standard" (non-4.0) RSs are trading at around 125% of their MSRP, and they are far less exclusive (~2k GT3RS, 500 GT2RS).

for a 2RS and a 4.0 to be somewhat equally valued, I'd expect to see a 2RS at $500k.

so if I were looking for a modern collectible 911 with some price appreciation left in it, I'd be shopping for a 2RS right now. I also think the 2RS will have some "last of the widow maker" legend around it grow, much as the 996 GT2 has-that car was not particularly loved for a while but has gained ground, and value, in the past few years.

15. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Amen, brother. I like the idea of the bigger HP and lower volume turbo. Would have thought the GT2 would be higher $$. But agree they are all great cars. After being away from modern Pcars for some time, I have to say these cars are all amazing. I do not feel bad about not having an Fcar right now.

I appreciate everyone's input.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've heard that sentence uttered by probably a dozen former Ferrari owners in the last six months. very telling...

I agree they're all great cars and you really can't go wrong, especially with anything that has "RS" in it's name :) let us know what you choose!

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I considered one too, but am glad I stuck with a NA car.

18. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    OK. This is the cruxt of where I am right now. How did you come to this decision and why? We are all so fortunate to be able to have these decisions to make.

19. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have thoroughly enjoyed the GT3 and after bringing it to Crescent this year, it really opened my eyes. It is least equal to, if not better than the 458. I had the pleasure of growing up with the best of Porsches, but I always lusted for the Fcars. I have some good ones and have now come "full circle". Life is good.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Again, I understand that one must simply make oneself happy and logic might have no place in this decision.

But, for me, I thought about it long and hard, and looked at all the contenders. At the end of the day, it was reasons I have already mentioned in this thread.

I chose the RS because, I could still buy a 3.6 RS and a 3.8 RS for reasonable money (much less than a GT2 RS by the way), and I know as a professional who deals with cars full-time, that the GT3 RS will appreciate in value long-term.

I have made a habit over the years of championing the cause of cars that have some appreciation to come. In the case of the GT3 RS, the car hardly needs me to spell it out. The accolades it has received in the motoring world speak for itself. As I said already, there is a reason why publications such as EVO repeatedly pick the GT3 RS as COTY or the Ultimate Driver's car, and not the GT2 RS. The professional testers speak volumes.

Without question, the best value in the market today for a Mezger-engine manual-gearbox raw performance car is a 997 3.6 RS or 3.8 RS, and I am prepared to put my name & professional reputation on the line for that one. That's my consensus and I'm sticking with it. I like the cars so much I started this thread http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/porsche/426539-997-gt3-rs.html purely for fun because whereas Ferrari Supercars are my business, I don't make a dime selling GT3 RS, they are purely a personal hobby.

Why did I choose the NA engine? The NA 3.6, 3.8 & 4.0 RS are already celebrated in Porsche's history as end-of-an-era Halo cars that are very collectible, in the true spirit of the non-turbo'ed NA Rennsport engines harkening back to 1973. They are faithful to that original concept, and the GT2 RS is not.

And then there is that hair-raising NA-engined sound. Oh. My. God. Hear one go by at open throttle and you're hooked for a lifetime. Whereas the turbocharged GT2 RS sounds rather, well, to put it bluntly, quiet & boring (as turbocharged cars so often do by comparison), the RS sounds like the proverbial 'Hundred thousand howling dogs from Hell'. I will never tire of hearing that sound, for the rest of my days. Just listen http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/143434243-post2081.html and imagine it sounds 10 times better in real life. I heard just a single car go by at full chat on a test drive. The result? SOLD.

Lastly, I like the design package of the GT3 RS better, particularly the 3.8 RS. I thought the 3.6 RS wasn't quite there for me, and the 4.0 was overkill, but the 3.8 RS was in my eyes the point at which perfection was achieved. Design 'Lightning in a Bottle', if you will.

Anyway, that's my story as candidly as I can tell it, and hopefully my thoughts help you one way or another.

21. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks so much, Joe. You have been very helpful.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  23. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
  24. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    How about a 997 GT2? About half the price of a GT2RS, but almost the same car. 530 hp vs 620. Reflash the ECU (a little more boost and a higher rev limit) and pick up a quick 60 hp and you're at 590 hp. Plus no centerlock wheel problems with the GT2. That's exactly what I did, I picked up a 5,000 mile CPO'd one for mid $130's and am absolutely loving it a year and a half later. It's a fun daily driver, taught, nimble and FAST. Plus, it absolutely rocks on the track! Drop the tire pressures, torque the lugs, slap some numbers on it and off you go. No GT3RS can catch it on the track. Bottom line, I think it's better both on and off track than a GT3RS.

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #25 joe sackey, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Food for thought
    Image Unavailable, Please Login