1966 912 Acquisition Question | FerrariChat

1966 912 Acquisition Question

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by KevinPD, Oct 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KevinPD

KevinPD Rookie

Oct 17, 2014
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am hoping to be the proud new owner of this car this weekend. It's literally a barnyard find. The car has been sitting for over 2 decades. The owner got it in a divorce settlement and it's been sitting ever since. The keys are MIA. She has no idea where they are. I know on most modern cars i.e. 1980 or later you can get keys made from a code. What is my best course of action on this?

Also, any idea how to do a VIN search on the vehicle? Carfax?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Carfax only works from 1981 and newer... only 17 digit VIN's.

I don't think Colorado will give you the history with the VIN any longer... privacy. They used to for a nominal fee.

Can the seller give you the info from the previous owner... her EX? Start there. Maybe he even has a key.

Key? You might contact a dealer with the VIN... long shot. Otherwise have a GOOD locksmith go to the car (or you can remove the ignition switch and take it to him).

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A 1966 is a great car. Short wheel base cars have gone nuts. 3 gauge panel or 5? Go to sierra madre Porsche for keys. They can get you set up with a set that will work. They re-key all Porsches. Enjoy

4. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    If you can remove the ignition switch, or the door handle and take it in to a competent locksmith they can make you a key. Yes, I've had it done.

5. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    And yes, those cars have been known to have ignition problems. Possibly it was already broken and hence not driven. Either way, no big issue to deal with. Soes it have the original motor? You can also send away to Porsche to get the Certificate of Authenticity