Let's talk about 928s | FerrariChat

Let's talk about 928s

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Jack-the-lad, Nov 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #1 Jack-the-lad, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    I've had many air cooled Porsches, but never any front-engined water-cooled ones. I've been interested in the 928 for some time and have recently done more serious research with possibly acquiring one in mind.

I'm pretty comfortable with understanding all the pitfalls, cautions, weak spots, etc., and am up to speed on key differences in all the variations of 928.

My question, and the purpose of this thread, is more subjective: I have narrowed my interest to the S4, the GT and the GTS. So, is the GTS truly worth the 25%-50% premium it seems to command over the S4 and the GT, all other things (mileage, condition, history, etc) being equal? I recognize both the equipment/performance enhancements of the GTS, as well as its scarcity, but does that justify the premium price, or there some other factor that I'm missing?

2. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    You cant go wrong with the facelift models 88+ onwards. I have a 928 S4 1988 and I am very pleased with it.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I have had my 79' for the last 17 years. If I were to buy another it would be a GTS.

The S4's and GT's yaddity yaddity. They all look the same. The S4 that I drove was heavy and flat. Similar to my friends 500sl and every other german GT quite frankly. Haven't had a chance to drive the GT. The 928 is a really nice car for its time. But its not THAT great. If it was, the model wouldn't languish on craigslist ads and ebay.

I would personally do a GTS in a 5 speed stick, though I doubt the 928 will be a collectable like the 911. Pudits like to cite the bump in prices over the last year, but compared to 911 prices, where an average condition car has dramatically appreciated, its not seen the uptick for all practical purposes. That and they difficult to maintain. If you need a lift and mechanical expertise to own it as many on other forums do, that attests to the models complexity. The GTS is simply the penultimate and the last 928 made. First and last in the model run are the cars to have. Pundits love to cite the pearlglanz and purple 95 as the last ot the public.

4. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think the 928 suffers from the same thing that some Ferrari models have....The entry cost may be relatively low, so the bargain-seeking buyer is surprised by service, maintenance and repair costs. Therefore there are a lot of under-serviced and even neglected cars on the market.

5. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have owned an '91 GT and now own an '85 S and I have absolutely enjoyed both cars. They are both 5 speed cars, have good power, excellent weight distribution, tight steering, and are extremely comfortable. I can tell you that I have many Italian cars and while a very different experience, I find these to be just as fun. I think the GT has all that you need and thought I've heard the GTS is that much better, it's a big premium for a solid car in a 5 speed. If you want a great one, Wilhoit is the best source. I find that well maintained 928s to be extremely undervalued as they are brought down by all of the poorly maintained problem cars.

6. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    #6 wlanast, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Your question regarding whether the GTS is worth the premium is a good one. Here is my input as an owner of 928's for over 15 years, 3 with an '88 S4 5spd and the last 12 with a '93 GTS 5spd. So I can't speak to the auto transmission experience. I would consider 4 main areas as a prospective owner.

Aesthetically, the GTS just nailed it on design. It is in my eyes a far more handsome car than the S4. Again, subjectively and not to disrespect other opinions, the S4 is the 996 as the GTS is to the 993. Similarly, it did so with some fairly subtle design enhancements with the added bonus that it enhanced performance.

From hp, torque, handling and especially braking, the GTS made a great step forward in performance. My S4 had several options included on the Club Sport, so it was no slouch in 928 terms. But the GTS has the S4 beat in performance, as it should as the next iteration 928.

Interior differences are minor, and for cars that have been well maintained I wouldn't think the interior upgrades/differences to the GTS are worthy of mentioning. For that matter, the 928 driving ergonomics and comfort are tough to beat even today with wonderful interiors and cabin design.

Maintenance is another story, and where I believe the GTS is left lacking in comparison to the S4. The 5.4 litre GTS V8 is a notorious oil consumer, and also has oil starvation issues when driven hard at the limit. My S4 didn't consume any oil, and even after turning 6 figures on the odometer was one of the most robust and reliable powerplants I have ever owned. It may have been bad luck, but my GTS required a great mechanic and a thicker pocketbook to maintain in tip top shape.

Last consideration is resale value. In sheer numbers, there are only 406 GTS's delivered to North America, fewer than 2,900 total production worldwide, the GTS is a rare beast. Roughly half are 5 spds, which seem to be much more desirable (it was the only option for me) So from an appreciation standpoint, there is a school of thought that between rarity and last of the line, the GTS has appreciation potential.

So the value any particular buyer puts on a GTS has those 4 and maybe a few other features to consider.

Good luck!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, William. That was very helpful. Even after the research I've done, that's the first I've heard of the oil consumption issues with the GTS. I'll surely keep that in mind.

Jack

8. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Happy to help, Jack. Eyes wide open and all that.

PM if you want more info.

To further the oil consumption issue since you were not aware of it, the factory replaced many GTS motors under warranty. Unfortunately, this consumption problems was not fixed, the motors were simply replaced with the issue uncorrected.

Considering this and the fact that replacement motors are almost non existent and rebuilds are costly in the extreme, a great PPI and history is very important for GTS's.

A friend purchased a GTS that was in Oregon, wanted the thrill of driving these great road cars down the coast to SoCal, and threw a rod on the Grapevine within spitting distance of home. That is of course an extreme example, but just trying to illustrate why you want to do your due diligence.

I say all of this as a huge fan of these cars, all things considered they are wonderful machines.

9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    William, I searched "928GTS oil problem" and it led me directly to your post on Rennlist!

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    don't know about the later models, had a '79 from day one, 5 speed... it was a daily driver... wasn't a frustrated racer asking the car to perform as if were in a continuous competition... put over 200,000 miles on it before turning it loose saving the F cars for play, only replacing normal wear items... short of needing to be at the top of the speed charts or bragging rights.... any well sorted 928 is a great GT cruiser and pleasure to drive... cruise control works nicely all the way to 160 (mph)... nice quiet cabin... great for hauling kids, the hatch and folded seats turns it into a SUV :=)...many overlook the fact it is a big car in GT form and expect it to jump around like a knat... if you're looking for a nice ride in the form of a 928 let the premium paid go to a well sorted car...it will not disappoint... ( quick reference 16" wheels were 5 speed / 15" wheels were for the automatic )

11. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    +1
    In standard factory form, I find the GT pretty lively with the high-lift cams (which some GTS owners retrofit) and stiffer suspension etc (the 959 shared PSD definitely comes in useful) The GT is my weekend car, and my analogue dash S4 auto for weekdays. Both fun, nicely balanced and well built cars, if properly maintained.

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  13. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    I read that article years ago and enjoyed it, thanks for posting the link!

I did find it interesting (and a bit unfair to both, frankly) that they chose a '91 for the Porsche and a '77 for the Ferrari. I would think the GT vs the 328 or the '77 GTB vs the '78 928 would have been more telling. 14 years of evolution is a ton.

14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #14 cnpapa24, Dec 31, 2014
  15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Agreed. I didn't quite understand that either.

16. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    I agree, the comparison is absolutely ridiculous. However, in my opinion it would also be ridiculous to compare any year 928 with any year 3x8. I have owned both for many years (have had at least one or two 928s in the stable, all euros an all manuals, for 33 years), and they're like night and day. There is not a single similarity that can be compared between my 928 and 328 other than they both sound awesome, have similar 0-60 times, corner like they're on rails, stop on a dime, and it's exhilarating to take either from point A to point B. However, in doing so they are totally different experiences.

17. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

I think that is often the point of these comparisons: two cars that get to the same place in very different ways.

18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #18 cnpapa24, Jan 8, 2015
  19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    those seats are like an MC Escher drawing!

20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Brings back memories! The day I was there they had rolled out a pickup mockup(!), and we saw full size tapes of the 4-door special. We also saw all 4 test platforms. Would love to know where the Opel Admiral and Audi Coupe are now....(probably tucked deep inbto the museum storage caverns....

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I love them because they are very much of their time. Some owners retrofit that upholstery to later models. It would never work with a 911...that car is much too purposeful for such frivolity. But with the 928...

22. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #22 cnpapa24, Jan 9, 2015

23. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #23 cnpapa24, Jan 9, 2015
  24. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi All,
    I have a wheel offset question on the 928's.

I have an 88 928 S4. I would like to have the original wheels refinished in the factory gray. What I am looking to do is buy a second set of 928 wheels to put on the car while the originals get refurbished.

So, I would like to ask is, if I find a set of wheels do I need to know exactly what year 928 they came off of due to the offsets changing over the years, OR are they all the same?

The wheels I have on the car are the flat disk in the center surrounded by the slotted openings.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Peter

25. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Does anyone know if a front like this can be made here in the States?
    (From Post 23)

Thanks