991 Turbo, the Perfect Daily Driver? | FerrariChat

991 Turbo, the Perfect Daily Driver?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Need4Spd, Dec 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #1 Need4Spd, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was about to pull the trigger on a GT3 to use as a DD and occasional track use, but went in another direction. Recognizing this is a Ferrari forum, I will suggest the 991 Turbo (not the Turbo S) as the perfect daily driver. Especially in urban areas like San Francisco and Silicon Valley where 911s are a relatively common sight, it won't attract the attention any Ferrari will, or a GT3 with its big, fixed wing. At the same time, the low end torque, miniature rear seat-shaped areas, and all wheel drive make it more practical than a GT3.

While it would be tempting to go for the Turbo S with its greater horsepower and standard CCBs, let me suggest that the price delta is not worth it if you already have a Ferrari in your garage, and even with the Sport Chrono option in the "regular" Turbo, you have some degree of built-in telemetry as well as over-boost that trims the 0-60 to just over 3 seconds. And the instant torque in all gears and at all speeds gives you great "squirt through traffic" ability.

Unless you need real rear seats, four doors and a big trunk (or the ability to ford parking lots covered with 3 feet of water), the 991 Turbo gets my vote as the ultimate car you can use every day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I could not agree more with you!, we have a Turbo S that my wife uses daily for the past 3 years, it is fun, fast, and more reliable than a Lexus ( besides yearly service) not a single issue!!!

3. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    #3 vrooom, Dec 14, 2014
  4. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i have a 991 911-s cab as one of my summer daily drivers.
    i had a tubi exhaust installed and prefer my vehicle because of the superior exhaust note.
    the turbo cabs have but a single flaw imho: they are way too quiet!!!!!!!!

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Agree wholeheartedly, had Turbo S as daily until was hit by a truck (totaled)

6. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #6 -CD-, Dec 15, 2014
  7. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    That's the Porsche philosophy. I love that up here in the Great White North, when the snow flies, all the other sports cars disappear, whereas all sorts of 911s, and particularly 911 Turbos can be seen slicing through the white stuff. Porsche makes a big deal of it in their advertising. Just received my offer from Porsche to join the winter camp in Quebec. Enjoy the car, you made the perfect choice for a daily driver.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

I remember hearing a lecture by Peter Schutz back when he was CEO of Porsche. Peter spoke of why it was that a Porsche sold at a premium despite its inferior trunk, passenger space and fuel economy compared to most sedans. The reason was that it was not just transportation but entertainment. And compared to other types of vehicular entertainment, such as a plane or boat, it was not only a bargain but its practicality allowed it to be enjoyed every day. Brilliant.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My 20k mile per year meteor grey 997 Turbo-S is my perfect DD. It replaced my 991s DD after 40k miles.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #11 Need4Spd, Dec 20, 2014
  11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Great cars, my buddy brought his by my office, and I have to agree, they are terrific.

12. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    In reality I'm sure they are better for DD duties than a GT3 or RS.

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #15 Need4Spd, Jan 25, 2015
  14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I just icked up a 2012 Turbo S cab as my DD. I couldn't be happier. Except I really love the car in sport plus and when the boost comes on... Oh baby. Nothing like a 2.8 sec 0-60 on my 8 mile drive to work that doesn't exceed 35 mph on the terrible Ca roads.

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have never been a porsche fan however I am now absolutely convinced bought a 997.2 s as a daily driver to use while waiting for my new Ferrari last summer and fell in love with it I am now considering getting a new turbo or GTS have not decided which have driven both and have to admit the Turbo is really special I loved it and cannot see sprending the extra for a turbo s ... of course I also have an F12....
    I kinda like the GTS ..but will likely get one or the other...

16. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Clean install, that is pretty awesome!

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Ok, this can be viewed as a cheesy "upgrade," but now my "key" matches the color of my car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I concur, I have owned 6 Ferraris and 5 911s, including my current DD, a 997.2TT-S and the Porsche turbo is the best DD ever IMHO, if only need a two seat car. I have 38k+ miles on my TT-S and love it. They're fast, have great brakes, handle well, are comfortable, economical considering the performance and are virtually trouble fee.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Took it to dinner this evening.

[​IMG].

20. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I agree that the 991 T is the best possible DD (not including TS-a true monster!)
    For my next DD, I strongly considered this car-BUT...I felt I still needed a 4 door sedan for practicality as I still, at least once a week, pick my kids up from School,Dance, Baseball, Soccer, etc. They still need kids booster seats and I still need a large trunk to hold my collapsible lawn seats, school back packs, etc. Therefore I am staying in the AMG family. Hey, at least I don't drive a minivan. I will reconsider a 911 in 3 years.

Seriously, very nice colour choice Need4Speed!

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks, Ponch. I have the advantage of our kids no longer being kids. A sedan or small SUV is a better choice for a family with children.

22. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #24 Finlander, Apr 12, 2015
  23. Iadvise

Iadvise Karting

Mar 5, 2013

Have you noticed lag once you press the accelerator on your AMG?

I have a new S63 and this is my only complaint.

Whereas the Porsches I've owned were all immediate power delivery.

[​IMG]