Porsche buying....a primer question | FerrariChat

Porsche buying....a primer question

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by ndpendant, Dec 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ive been reading these threads for about 2 years on all the Porsche topics here. I have sold off my last 2 cars one American the other an F car and have an empty garage now. My cars have all been project and mod/resto cars. I have always loved the look of a gorgeous 911, but have never owned a Porsche. Ive been an amateur cart racer, was drag racing motorcycles for a bit years ago, tinkered and more than tinkered on several cars over the years. Im looking for a "not so project" first Porsche. I like manual things, shifting, steering etc but am not at all opposed to modern comforts that the newer cars have, including performance. Ive read a lot of the this vs that threads, but am looking for a starter advice if that makes sense.
    Id like to keep the budget small on size, as in 25-45K, in a car I can drive, tinker, mod, perhaps tune within limits and enjoy and drive a lot.
    Im open to suggestions of year, and model. Im not an "air cooled" guy but would be open. Id appreciate those suggestions from you who have driven it all. I do like the caymans, have thought about after 08 years, there as well. But a 911 really just does it for me.
    Thank you all for your input,
    Paul
    ND

2. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    You can get a nice 996 Turbo in the High $30K's to mid $40K's. Tinkerable and tunable.

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Second that.

4. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have been looking at 996s, was wondering if the 4s was worth it or if it was more maintenance nighmares? The TT or X50 options in 2WD also are more than enough car. Any opinions on TT vs X50 or the 4S. I do live in Chicago
    thanks!

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Paul...I would not overlook the potential benefits of the vestigial backseat in the 911 vs. the Cayman. It's pretty useful for those times when real life intervenes & you have to haul small kids, groceries, the wife's luggage on road trips, etc...T

6. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    You should look for a nice 996 4S (1999-2004) with all of the maintenance paperwork. Most of the problems have been fixed. The headlights (scrambled eggs) are weird, but it's in your price range.

I agree the 911 is the one to buy. It's in its 50th year.

7. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #7 Finlander, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It really depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I love '80s 911s, but they're definitely lacking in creature comforts compared with more modern cars. Now, I have a 981 Cayman, and that's a wonderful car, and probably as close as you can get to the '80s cars in a new car.

A 2000-era 911 might be a reasonable compromise. I'd probably try and drive cars from several different eras to get a sense of what you'd like.

9. radrickroth

radrickroth Karting
    BANNED

Mar 18, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    Full Name:
    Rick Rothenberger
    I agree, the 80s cars are bombproof, G50, but pretty hard riding. Purely for driving tho, value, and classic looks, can't be beat!

If you can get past the weak interior of the 996 and hideous front end, great value and tech for the coin.

964 has more gremlins than most models.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You could consider an '87-'89 911, which is a quick car by classic standards. It has the better gearbox, terrific build quality and air-cooled sound. If you've raced, I think the "personality" of the 911 will appeal to you.

For more performance, the 993 is faster and has the vastly revised/improved rear suspension, but prices seem to have moved beyond $45K for anything other than a base coupe with a lot of miles on it.

If you need water-cooled for <$45K, I think you're kind of stuck with the 996. Given current pricing, the base '87-'89 Carrera coupe seems like a great way to go. I have a weakness for the targas, but most people will tell you to find a coupe.

11. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Should be able to get a decent 997 S for about 45K

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Based on cars.com, it'd have to be 997.1 gen, with somewhere in the range of 50K miles to hit that price point...T

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    IMO 3.2 liter Carrera 1984-89. The 87-89 G50 cars command a premium; the 84-86 might be the best value in 911's, build quality second to none.

14. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #14 mclaudio, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Every car enthusiast needs to experience a 911 at least once in their life. With regards to what model/year, each has its own virtues and quirks:

- My favorite driving experiences are with the 964s and the LWB long hoods with mechanical injection. Once in a while, I long for my 69 S (with 2.7 pistons) driving experience until I drive my Ferrari/s.

- For the most reliable and least maintenance intense, my 83 SC and 84-86 Carreras were the best. I had an SC for almost 10 years (For reference, my ownership tenure of other 911s were less than 3 years). I drove that car everywhere including snowboarding and biking trips to Mammoth.

- For the most modern 911 prefix/G code car, the 87-89 cars command a premium. I just sold an 89 coupe, which I had for a very short time. It was fine but felt heavier than the earlier cars. I also had an 87 with valve guide issues. My point is even the popular cars can have issues.

- The best looking ones are subjectively the 993 era (second only to long hood RS and RSR), but other earlier air-cooled models offer better 911 driving experiences IMO

- If you prefer more modern features like proper HVAC, the water-cooled ones are your choices. I had a daily driver 996. When I sold it, the odometer showed 146,000 miles with its original engine and clutch. I think a 99 with the double row bearings are a great value. Their price points are such that potential IMS issues, etc. are factored in

- For your price point, I would think about a 996TT. Even at their age, I would still consider them as daily drivers if I think I won't get tired of turbo lag and resonant tire/road noise for daily driving in Seattle's worn out freeways.

I'm only talking about 911s since you seem to prefer them emotionally. One needs to scratch such an itch in our fun hobby. In reality, my favorite driving Porsches were the mid-engined kind or ones with 50/50 handling. If you're an ex-racer, such handling characteristics may appeal to you more.

15. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you're not an air cooled guy then I would strongly recommend a 996TT. They are bullet proof.

Scott

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the OP needs to make that air-/water-cooled decision first and decide what he likes - the water-cooled cars are lot more modern and comfortable as daily drivers. The air-cooled cars are unique and emerging classics.

The dividing line between the 993 and 996 is IMHO at least as big as the transition from the 356 to the 911 was. (Unfortunately prices confirm this - I wish I still had my 993.)

17. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    having owned modern, water cooled 911s (996 and 997), they're great cars and are a perfect blend of unique, fast, and comfortable.

that said, my next road car 911 will be air cooled. I think all but the rattiest of 993s is probably out of your budget, so I'd look for a 964 C2 or Carerra from the mid to late 80's.

18. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    996TT's are stupendously fast and don't seem to suffer from the engine problems standard 996's suffer from.

19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    different motor :)

a 996 tt coupe with a manual and front drivetrain removed would be a killer car.

20. radrickroth

radrickroth Karting
    BANNED

Mar 18, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    Full Name:
    Rick Rothenberger
    84-89 carrera = great all around! super reliable

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    He needs to go drive several of them from different eras, to really get a sense for what he wants. That shouldn't be hard to do in Chicago.

22. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I wish I still had my '87 Carrera!

Scott

23. radrickroth

radrickroth Karting
    BANNED

Mar 18, 2010
    Virginia, USA
    Full Name:
    Rick Rothenberger
    Me too, I had an 88, awesome! Just ran and ran, never had to touch it.

24. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you! and 146K with original clutch? Man you must be smooth!
    Nd

25. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree! but -3F today, im not driving much!
    Nd