Pre-buyers remorse: C4S vs C2S | FerrariChat

Pre-buyers remorse: C4S vs C2S

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Scotty, Dec 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I may be about to close a deal on a used 991 C4S (manual tranny). Of course, I am now doing neglected research on the C4S vs C2S, and I am questioning my choice. The car will be mostly a daily driver and I doubt it will ever see the track (and it certainly won't be a regular track car--I have other things for that purpose). I live in Portland, Oregon and it will be driven frequently in the rain (and very cold rain at that), but likely never in the snow.

I had assumed that the AWD would be advantageous in the wet, but given how well 2wd 911's puts power down, it may not matter. So, assuming no drag races, and no 9 or 10/10ths cornering, which would you choose? (I understand the differences in looks--the C4S appeals slightly more.)

2. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    Gts, widebody, 2wd

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    For a variety of reasons, I want used and a 991. GTS not an option (though, I agree, a fine choice otherwise).

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    C4S. There is no substitute for all wheel drive in the rain. And doesn't it rain a lot in Oregon? The C2S handles wet weather well, but by optimizing grip on only two tires. It won't slip, but it won't put down power nearly as well when things get slippery.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I haven't driven the C4S, but based on my experience with rwd cars in rain and show, and with Audi's Quattro three times now, I would absolutely go with awd for a daily driver in Portland. At least in the case of Audi, the difference is night and day. I've only owned/driven rwd Porsches so will defer to others on their experience on the 991.

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what happened to the 550 ?

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    henryr: I've been looking for a 550 coming up on 4 years. I haven't given up, but it is also clear that finding one that works for me is much trickier than I had thought. Also, I need a new daily driver (I sold my much loved GTI) and one of the few major irritants of that car was the inability to put power down on Portland's habitually soggy streets. The new Golf R is on the list as well, but that won't be here in a manual for some time. Lastly, I am working my way through my own list of "10 cars every car guy should drive before they die"--that's how I came to try the GTI (which stuck around much longer than I thought it would) and it's why I am now looking hard at a 911. Since my original post I have test driven a 991 C2S--it clearly puts power down much better than a FWD car, but it clearly still slips in the wet (which, while entertaining, is something I'd like to minimize).

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Love my 2S, but for a wet locale like Portland, I think the 4S is the choice to go for IMO...T

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I havent driven a 991 but i had a 997 C4S and could never really tell the car was AWD. I had the rear sideways (on purpose) so much in the first few months that i blew one tire. So it was great fun. So id go with a 4S again unless i found a better deal on a 2S.

10. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I had the 2s as a free loaner while waiting for my GT3. I bought my wife a 2015 C4s cab. The 4s handles the road like glue. The wide body adds to the handling and looks. The AWD is the way to go.

11. Super_K

Super_K Rookie

Aug 30, 2015
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Alex Kochis
    Scotty, what did you end up doing? Did you get the C4S? If so did were you happy with the choice? I'm making a similar decision and wonder about driving on the perpetually-wet-9-months-of-the-year roads of the northwest..

12. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    if the budget allows for the C4S, do it ( expense could be the only reason to pass ) ... there is a lot of power to put down... aside from all the technical virtues, awd can be considered a safety feature... been driving C4S is all conditions to include winter ice and snow, have yet to put a foot wrong or get a surprise from loss of traction... it is more than just awd... it raises the experience / capability to a higher level vs std rwd