Does this look like water in oil (996)? | FerrariChat

Does this look like water in oil (996)?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by nathandarby67, Dec 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #1 nathandarby67, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    A guy here in town is needing to sell his 996, and I recently learned about it through our local car guy grapevine. Car is a 1999 C2, has about 75K miles, in pretty nice shape. I've been thinking recently about buying an inexpensive fun daily driver with four seats, so of course the 996 falls right into that mix. Anyhow, went to see the car today. It drove great. I know one of the common problems with early water cooled Porsches is problems with cracked cylinder liners, so one should always check for coolant in the oil. There was certainly some yellow-white foamy type sludge inside the oil filler cap, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a car where there was confirmed to be coolant in the oil, so I'm not 100% on what it would actually look like. See attached pic:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    How much of that is simply water condensation in the plastic oil filler tube? Anything on the dipstick? I'd expect quite a milky mix on a cool dipstick if that were the case.. I'd also expect depresssurization of the coolant system with a crack like that.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yeah, I think that's blowback/condensation. probably nothing to worry about, especially if the car has been started and let idle in the garage (i.e. while being worked on) or driven on lots of short trips recently.

I'm assuming you drained the oil, if there were no metal flecks in the oil you're probably OK IMS wise.

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Haven't drained oil or done in depth inspection. Just a quick look and drive, as it was getting dark. The seller is another doc in our clinic, so he's fine with me taking it somewhere for a PPI if I want.

I did check the dipstick and it looked clean, but didn't think to do that until after our drive, so it was warm. He says last oil change was almost 1 year ago, he's only driven it about 1000 miles in last 12 months. He said he cranks it about twice a month and drives for about 15 mins around the neighborhood, so car probably hasn't gotten good and hot much lately. This car was his DD but he bought a new A6 a year ago and he hasn't driven it much at all, plus his wife hates it and wants it gone. ;)

5. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Also, from the very complete and extensive looking service records, it appears the rear main seal was replaced due to a leak in 2002 (at porsche dealer). Would this have been late enough to have the upgraded design?

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Save yourself the grief and get a 997.

7. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    Did he mention he's going to get into it for <15k....

8. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    It would still be less trouble to get into the 997.

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Oh I believe you 100%. 997 is a fantastic car. But the 997 is getting too close to DB9/Vantage/456/Gran Turismo money. I'm looking for something cheap right now, and preferably something without much depreciation left (which pushes the 996 ahead of the Fiat Abarth and Audi TT in the $15-20Kish fun cars with four seats sweepstakes).

10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Funny thing is: he would have some difficulty selling this car for $15,000. So much car for the $. Do yourself a favor and get an 02 or newer with the bigger engine and bugs worked out. There really is no "cheap Porsche" or Ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk