Porsche 960? | FerrariChat

Porsche 960?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Pinarello, Feb 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I have read about this project for 2017?, does anybody know anything about this?, is this true?, rumors?, V8?, V6?

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I know that if you are a special person in the Porsche world, they will accept your deposit on one now. But that's all I can say.

4. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    How important do you have to be we have purchased several high end Porsches from same dealer, and they say they know nothing official about this?

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #5 sherpa23, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Well, if you have to ask, then you already know the answer.

To put it in perspective, the individuals that I know that have put in their deposits did so directly with Porsche AG and between the two of them, they own many significant Porsches including LeMans and Daytona winners, as well as pristine examples of every special model (SCRS, RSR, RS, etc.). They both have direct communication with the factory and Porsche Motorsports on a variety of matters and I don't think that they interact much with the local dealers.

I don't think that going to the dealer and buying "high end" production cars means that much to Porsche AG or Porsche Motorsports.

I think that's about all I can say about that.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nope.

now, buy an RSR, or a fleet of Cup cars.... ;)

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Hahaha. True, although I have what is generally accepted as the nicest '73 RS in the country and they don't get very excited about including me in things. I would need to add at least an RSR with pedigree, if not a 906 or 904 GTS to even be considered a low level player by those guys.

I guess another way to put it is unless you're one of those clients that Porsche specifically plans Rennsport Reunion around, then of course you're going to get a blank stare when you ask about the 960. :)

8. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    Ok, then that is way above my league:), I am not a porsche collector, maybe just a fanatic!

Thanks for the info, the project sounds phenomenal!, BTW you should post a picture of your 73 RS, that's a sweet car:)

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #9 sherpa23, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's above just about all of our leagues. Regardless, they will open it up to "regular" Porsche people soon - a year or so. I have been offered a spot if I want it so if I'm getting invitations, I'm sure the ultra exclusivity period is ending soon.

Here's a pic of the RS. After two years, it is time for it to go to a new home so I've consigned it to RM Auctions at Amelia Island. Here is a link:

1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Touring | Amelia Island 2015 | RM AUCTIONS

FYI, both RM's and Gooding's lineups look pretty interesting. It should be a good week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    WOW good luck on the sale during auction!, beautiful car I can only dream

11. m.vanderweerd-collector

Feb 16, 2015
    #11 m.vanderweerd-collector, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Or one or more 918s. Last I heard, they have not all been spoken for. IOW, there are allocations to be had, unlike the LaFerrari which have all been sold.

13. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it has to do with abandoning the historical 6 cylinder configuration, with respect to displacement

physics coupled with demand for more power output can be accomplished better by increasing the number of cylinders, leading to new model designation

14. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I have a 67S that I am gearing up to auction...any reason you went with RM vs Gooding?

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #15 sherpa23, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Yes. Very specific reasons. I go to just about all of the auctions and I would like to think that I have a good feel for which cars would do best where. Gooding and RM are both great auction houses so it's hard to go wrong with either. I felt that RM's Amelia sale would be good for this car but I'm sure that David would do a great job with it, too.

If you're going to consign a 1967 S, I think that you'll find that the auction houses would make the decision for you as to where it would be consigned, not the other way around. It used to be that any good car could go to any auction but given the rise in the collector car market, it's no longer so. Unless you're a well known collector or a valued client, a car in that price range (I know the car and I know that it's nice so it's not a knock on the car) is best suited to one of the three big auction houses and they will make that pretty clear very early in the conversation. You will know at which auction house it belongs.

If you don't know anyone at any of the auction houses, pm me and I'll put you in touch with the best person at each.

16. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    So they make a deposit but they don't know it will be NA or turbo?

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I don't think that they really care. It's going to be cool and so they want it. Besides, it's not like you can't get your deposit back if you don't like the car. But the flip side is that you can't get to the front of the line if you don't put in a deposit from now so it's way better to put the deposit if you're even considering the car.

19. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    If this car will be turbo it will be anything more than current 911 turbo?

20. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Yes, if it's a V8 TT.

21. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    So it will be NA?

22. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I wouldn't count on it. Doesn't seem to be the future of P-cars.

23. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
  24. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
  25. Shady Speedway

Shady Speedway Karting

Nov 9, 2014