Oldest 911 found in plain sight | FerrariChat

Oldest 911 found in plain sight

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Fritz Ficke, Mar 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #1 Fritz Ficke, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Can you please repost the photos here for those of us not registered to that site.

3. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    This Is a bomb!!!

Chassis Nr. 300 005, unbelieveble!

4. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Yes and the owner of 30 years, is the one that looked a little closer at his old funkedilic hot rod and realized what he had!!

5. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Beautiful. Will be interesting to see her completely cleaned up for the auction block.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Very neat surprise!!!!

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    All it needs is a slantnose and wing.

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I say go all the way and take it to 935 Kremer Le Mans spec

9. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    JUst wow. If you wonder why traditional curated print media is dying while social media is flourishing, look no further than that thread! History happening in real time...

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Amazing... maybe the Porsche classic department would restore this one on the house.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Wow! That is Amazing! Very lucky guy.

12. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    What, if any, would someone put this cars value at?

Ballpark

13. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    If it truly is production car #1, I would guess $2M+

14. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Asking in "as is Condition" 500$

15. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    It's a pre-production prototype 901. There are a few new posts, one showing a photo of a factory list of prototypes with engine numbers listed. #005 had its engine swapped a few times. Speculation is that it might be a press car.

16. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    My bad, #005 is a production model, #5 built Sept 1964, the 13 prototypes had #13XXX vin numbers. #007 was the first one.

17. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    I’ve been following this story on the Early 911S registry but something I’ve wondered about is how this car was registered for the road. Wouldn’t the owner’s registration reflect a 1965 911 based on the VIN despite the IROC flares and mods? If the registration reflects a 1965 911, wouldn’t the owner already know that he had a special car? Don't all states require the year of the vehicle on the registration?

18. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    You would think so. Just updated on the thread myself and oh my as usual lotsa drama going on.

19. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Just seems like the OP must have known he had a 1965 911 based on the title. Even if a GI brought this car into the states in the 1960s, it would still have the year on the the title that would stay with the car to this day.

20. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    It never ceases to amaze me, how these "barn find" & "treasure" stories come to be.

It all makes for a great pre auction story for prices.

Then again, I am giving the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Just hard to, given the other thread he started, he really shot himself in the foot for that one.

21. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    There are some inconsistencies with this guys story. In a previous post on Early S he referred to this same car as a "recent aquisition" then changed his story to an elaborate one about him "discovering" he had #5 after owning it since 1976.

The body VIN stamp in the trunk is on a raised bar like a later car, and there is no aluminum plate above it.

I think some parts of the car are 300005, but there's been some major repairs done to it. And I wish the guy would just be straightforward with the backstory.

22. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Indeed,

I cant speak for all, but I know everyone would love for the whole story to be true, I mean, its straight out of a movie!

How he saw his first one, then buys the "poster", then saves up, then purchases it!

But over the years, I've seen this same story play out and "usually" the next chapter is 9 out 10 times, an auction to follow.

23. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    #24 idart, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    I just watched an episode of Wayne Carini Chasing Classic Cars where he buys a 1965 911 (must be an old episode as the car is only bid to $67K). He makes a big deal of verifing it is a 1965 almost impling the seller may not know what he has. Are the 1965 models in the U.S. truly "hidden" with many being mis-identified as a different year by the registration, etc.?

What would be on the registration for a 1964 901? Wouldn't the 1964 901's be registered as 1965 model years on the title? I just don't get how owner's of these cars could be unwitting to what they have unless the titles are jacked up with the incorrect model year, salvage title, etc. What am I missing here?

24. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I do not know what is going on and do not understand why the owner just does not take a lot of pictures and give a lot of information, it seems like there is effort to be mysterious.
    I will point out that 30 years ago a 1965 911 was not a special car, and that fact would be of no particular interest to a owner of a SC wanabe. These were just considered worthless old cars that would be great bases for making modern SC looking 911's. There are many cases of SC's or turbo look cars that really are a 67 911S.