95 355 6spd to 997tt?? Anyone gone this route | FerrariChat

95 355 6spd to 997tt?? Anyone gone this route

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by nsx2F355, Mar 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nsx2F355

nsx2F355 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2013
    SLC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Three years in and 20k in reciepts I'm in love with my 355 as much as ever! But at some point my wife is going to pull the plug on my endless love affair with Ferrari and the service bills the 355 brings with it. I continue to enjoy the lines of the mighty Turbo. Without having to find a new place to research the car. What are some expectations one might have moving into an 07 - 08 with 40k ish miles on a 6spd? The ultimate would be if someone would like to trade for a few months. Mine is immaculate but no garage queen for sure. I do drive about 5k a year.

2. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    That's all?? Consider yourself lucky :D

I went from a 355 to a 997.2 S...The 355 was always my dream car but for similar reasons I had to let it go after 8 years. The plan was to bounce around between a bunch of cars every year or so just to try out everything I'd wanted to drive. I was planning on 911 --> R8 --> V8 Vantage, etc. At first the 911 completely bored me and I started looking around for something else, but after a while it sunk in just how great of a car it is and now I still have it 2.5 years later. I don't have experience with the turbo, but mine has been trouble free and overall a fantastic experience to own and drive. It's much different from the 355 in every way and honestly better in every way aside from the big one: aesthetics. The shifter is flawless and the interior is miles ahead in ergonomics and finishes, although I've heard the 997.1 plastics tend to flake off sorta like Ferrari interiors will melt. The handling is completely different and the power difference is night and day even in a 385hp Carrera S, so I can't imagine how much faster it will feel in a turbo. Regardless, there's a reason car guys always say you have to own a 911 at some point. I think you'll be happy with the change.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is my experience with Porsche in general. You don't get the initial fireworks as with Ferrari, but a year on you're among the converted.

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yep that's exactly how it worked for me. Pretty much the exact opposite of how it went with Ferrari.

5. RS6bird

RS6bird Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    RS6Bird
    I seem to have the same experience as others. The 355 was my third Ferrari, I had a 550 and 308GTB before. I changed the 355 last month for a 997.1 TT. It's also my third Porsche (had a 964 turbo and 993tt before).

The Ferrari has way more soul, looks and emotion. It's an event every time you get in and drive...the sounds, stares, attention... The Porsche is the opposite, no looks, just a much more perfect machine, with much less character, that does everything better.

I loved my 355 to bits, but it was a pain in the a$$ in many ways: maintenance, not fun in the rain, a pain to park on the street because of the attention, etc. The Porsche can get driven anywhere, anytime, and is a blast to drive. Its brakes (mine are the optional carbon-ceramic) are amazing, the steering feel and composure are impressive, and the acceleration is just plain brutal.

I'm very happy with the change, but I do miss some of the drama the Ferrari brought with it. But holy crap, the Porsche is insanely fast, and that gets me every time I go out for a drive.

6. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    David Brown Of Aston Martin was was to have said when asked about Ferrari compared to his cars, "Ferrari builds a mistress I build a wife" I feel that way comparing Ferrari to Porsche.
    The Ferrari was high maintence fun on weekends took time to get ready and everybody stared and thought how lucky you are, but god I did not want to deal with it every day and I was getting tired of all the demands.
    Porsche you can count on and it will give you even more, without the drama, just the real deal. I want it every day.
    Of course both is ideal if you can.

7. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I concur with all of the above. In 2006 I went from a '98 F355 F1 to a 2003 Porsche 996TT Tiptronic. I missed the excitement from the F355, but was completely satisfied with 996TT. My wallet loved the jump, too.

This past December I made the jump again, from a 2007 599 GTB to a 2015 Porsche GT3. Unfortunately I haven't driven the GT3 yet, as the winter here in Pittsburgh has been abysmal, but I expect the same kind of feelings as when I made the jump before.

8. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have a gated F355 Spider that I love, yet I just added a 997 Turbo Tiptronic as my daily driver. The Porsche is much faster and very easy to use everyday but the Ferrari is far more fun for the weekends going on a pleasure drive.