Eighties colours and US vs Euro | FerrariChat

Eighties colours and US vs Euro

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bigodino, Mar 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I'm looking for a late 911 SC or early 3.2 Carrera and was wondering what colours were available at the time? What I've seen for sale so far here in Europe seems a bit limited to mostly dull colours (white, black, grey) and red. Weren't there any vibrant colours available? I absolutely love Minerva blue but it seems that's a very rare colour and maybe not even available for the SC or Carrera?

Another question: I went and visit a classic car dealer today who mainly imports 911s from the US. He claims that US and Euro versions of the SC/Carrera are essentially the same and any power loss through smog equipment is easily reversed. Is he right?

Thanks, Peter

2. m.vanderweerd-collector

Feb 16, 2015
    #2 m.vanderweerd-collector, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  4. Shlobeck

Shlobeck Karting

Jul 9, 2012
    #4 Shlobeck, Mar 28, 2015
    Americans usually favored 'conservative colors' such as guards, Grand Prix and Black, for this was the buying market for P-cars. Also when you look at the paint colors from the 80's it's much more conservative in comparison to the 70's. I guess it was the sign of the times. Here is an accurate website which lists porsche colors from 74-89. Minerva blue was a factory color option from 76-82. Yes Smog pumps, thermal reactors and Cats are the major differences between Row and US spec cars of this era.

My '79 Minerva 930

Reference Center - Color Charts - 911 (1978-1983) - Porsche Nutz

Reference Center - Color Charts - Porsche Nutz
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 Michael B, Mar 28, 2015
    Whoa Minerva with blue leather. That is way Seventies. Bravo.

I have a seventies trip too. Sienna Metallic. Check it out in the Guards Red sandwich.

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    RoW cars usually have higher hp due to higher compression. Also, RoW Carreras had tranny coolers on them, at least on the 915 they did.

7. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    That is seriously bad ass!! LOVE it!

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Smog equipment robs minimal power. Maybe 10 to 15 hp. Hardly enough to notice. To be euro you need to raise compression.

9. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Not entirely true, this differs from year to year.. with smog equip being the differentiating factor in many cases.

10. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    All 3.2 Carrera's are significantly faster and lighter in ROW trip. Engine has 231hp with HC pistons. Gearing is better and an oil cooler is fitted to the trans. ROW has lighter bumper pads and internal bumper shocks, no door bars etc.

On the street an ROW pulls away markedly over 3.5k revs. Condition being equal always buy an ROW 3.2 Carrera.

I am not so sure about SC's but believe most of the same applies.

There are more exciting colors out there, just hard to find and they bring a premium.

11. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated. Once I've found the right 911, I'll post here too.

Best, Peter

12. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    cool... minerva blue one of my favorites other being viper green

13. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    You are correct regarding the 3.2.. the Motronic makes all the difference in the world. In addition to the trans cooler, the gearing is also slightly different in the RoW cars.

The same does not apply for SC's as stated.. depending RoW vs. US and what model year the engine can be anything from 8:5.1 thru 9:8.1 SOme US & RoW used the same compression for a given model year with the smog equipment, timing etc.. being the difference in power output.