Cayman R ? | FerrariChat

Cayman R ?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by thecarreaper, Apr 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #1 thecarreaper, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Started out looking for a spare back up car for work. Then looked at 996's, but am turned off by the IMS issues on Rennlist and Pelican. Not sure I would be happy with a cheap Boxster S. the Cayman R seems like the cats meow, 2012, in peridot green would be ideal.

Anyone here have one?

(I have been reading on Pelican and Rennlist as well.) But thought I would ask since there are no current threads coming up when using "search".

Thank you.

Google sample pic:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think the Cayman R is the next 914-6...the desirable version of an unloved car (at least by Porsche purist standards). and with GT3s pretty much priced out of usability, the Cayman R is the modern "specialty" Porsche to have IMO. these cars will be sought after in a few years, particularly ones with manual transmissions (although the PDK is great)

3. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    just did a quick search...looks like these things are going for what they cost new,maybe slightly less (range seems to be high $50's to mid $70s)....buy one before the speculators catch on ;)

4. mswncity

mswncity Karting

Feb 10, 2012
    Hailey, ID
    #4 mswncity, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We have had our Cayman R for about two years now, It is OK as a daily driver but really seems to be best suited to weekend drives and track days. If your are planning on more track stuff the bucket seats are fantastic. I don't think I'd want them for a DD. Both transmissions are fantastic. We have a PDK and it is flawless. My daughter and I share the car for track days.We have made slight modifications to the brakes (GT3 master, track pads) and the suspension (LCA's etc. to get proper camber). With these items addressed the car is so solid and predictable it just begs to be driven.

MW

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the blue 997 "Speedster" parked next to it could have funded at least part of my retirement.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    how are 997 Speedsters doing value wise? they weren't particularly well received when launched.

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The modern Speedsters are just ugly ducklings amongst modern 911's so, in my opinion, that is why they were not particularly well received. Porsche made the attempt at strumming "old" heart strings of the purist, use the same chassis/model, make it ugly and bump the cost by 20% and expect a waiting list, great sales tactic.

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thank you for the replies! In the past I had several fun cars, none of which were very expensive ( Under $25k each). Now with the weird market, I don't see the point in having a 328, QV or 911/930 as a weekend fun car- too valuable and costly to drive, maintain and insure. A new car will not be collectable, but that is fine for a weekend driver. I do agree the Cayman S -Sport and the Cayman R may have some nice appeal in the future as real drivers cars. Seems 2009 and later Cayman S cars are very well sorted.

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if you want cheap, fast, and something you don't have to worry about (i.e. not collectible), just get a Cayman S. almost all the performance and 60% of the price. they're amazing to drive too.

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Or just buy a MKII MR2 Turbo, upgrade the turbo and intercooler (no need to worry about fuel etc etc if you don't go stupid with boost) and eat Caymans (and most other cars like I did).

Did I just wonder off path....again? My bad.

11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If someone's in the market for a relatively modern special edition Porsche, they aren't going to be cross-shopping with a heavily molested Toyota that went out of production 8 years ago. If he was even willing to do serious modification then he'd get a regular Cayman S and upgrade it, rather than look at the Porsche-upgraded R variant. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Heavily molested is a tad ignorant, I believe I know of what I speak but you are correct about the age thing (I was just referencing performance) so the Cayman is by far the better choice (for some).

Man I need to hit the local Porsche dealership tomorrow an scare a sales person! LOL

13. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have a modified MINI, so I'm not a stranger to increasing the performance threshold of a car. While it's an improvement, it's just not going to be as good as another car that left the factory with that same level of performance. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Never said you were brother and I understand your point. I have no personal Cayman experience but from what I have read is that the chassis is a dream and with the subtle but rewarding chassis and engine upgrades it is almost on par with the 911.

Good times for all.

15. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Been looking at MR2's as I had several when I was in my high school years. They either have mods, or tons of miles, and mods. Clean cars seem to be "rare".

Really want to drive one soon. Maybe a 2009 or later will be a nice compromise as the "R" is spendy right now.

:)

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The thing with MR2's is that the mileage is irrelevant. I beat the **** out of all four of mine and those "Mother Truckers" started every day, out handled 99% of other cars and made me smile.

Sorry, I know this is not a MR2 thread, I digressed.

17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Exactly.

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I bought an R about a year ago. I had a '07 Cayman S prior to that. I got to test drive a new Cayman S and a 2012 R back to back. There was no comparison IMO. I drove the '07 on several long distance trips. The trunks will swallow an amazing amount of crap. The R can be tiresome on rough roads, but it's not as bad as many sport cars. I have been surprised that there are actually fewer for sale now than a year ago and prices are flat. I thought a lot more would come on the market this year as they come off lease, etc. You can but nice '06-'08 S for mid to hih 20s. I think they are a steal at that price.

Dave

20. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I think if you want to avoid the IMS issue (which put you off the 996) you have to go 2009 or newer in a Cayman.

Great cars. I had a Boxster S and loved it. I will own a Cayman at some point.

For now I need a back seat - so am looking at 996's. Lot of car for the $$.

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  23. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Pfffft, that's nothing. I'm asking $1.3million for my Abarth.

Mark

24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thanks for the info. I figure its a rough ride sometimes. I am less than 6 miles from work, so I can suffer through it! :)

25. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Have you considered a 996 turbo? Uses the Mezger block (like the GT3's) so avoids the IMS issue from the 996 / 997.1.

420hp, gobs of torque and seem to be some nice examples around for ~$50k.