Porsche Warranty Questions on Used Cayman Black | FerrariChat

Porsche Warranty Questions on Used Cayman Black

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by DoubleD33, Apr 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    A friend is looking at a 2012 Cayman S Black with 30K. It is at an Indy lot and not a dealer. It is still under factory warranty for a bit longer. I have the following questions.

1. If the car was purchased with a Porsche extended warranty is it transferable?
    2. If there is no current extended warranty can she buy a Porsche extended warranty at the dealer since it is still under the factory warranty?

3. Lastly she looked at a New "S" but the lead time on an order was quoted at 4 Months minimum and no relief on sticker price. Does this sound correct?

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    1. Aftermarket extended warranty or a Porsche CPO?
    2. Yes, but there are aftermarket warranties that are probably cheaper.
    3. No idea.

3. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Can't you just call a couple Porsche dealers and ask them about the warranty? Seems like they would know.

Scott

4. zeppole

zeppole Rookie

Jul 21, 2011
    CPO cars come with very detailed documents regarding what is covered and what is not along with inspection reports from the CPO process. I would ask to see those.

5. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    non manufacture extended warranty are not recommended... by anyone...

the top tier extended warranties are best sourced from the manufacturer and universally recommended... the manufacturer has a vested interest to perform to maintain image of product... and accepted at all dealer and mfg approved stations

extended warranties NOT offered by mfg have many pitfalls... they are primarily a profit center to anyone selling them and could be as restricted as needing to return to the sellers shop or designated place of repair... before any claim can begin

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    DoubleD33...For the extra peace of mind, I'd suggest a CPO'd machine. CPO is through Porsche.

Porsche Approved Certified Limited Warranty - Porsche Cars North America

Regardless, I would also do a PPI for extra peace of mind. You're in So Cal, so there must be a lot of P dealers in the vicinity, and hence lots of inventory, especially if your flexible on color, exact year, options, etc. The CPO is transferable in that if you buy a CPO car, you get 2 more years on the original warranty. So, CPO will take care of your points 1. and 2. You'll pay a premium for a CPO'd machine, but in my opinion, it is worth it.

This will allow you to search Porsche inventory for a used Cayman.

Porsche Cayman Search - Porsche Cars North America

Of course, Cars.com, Autotrader.com, etc. are other good sources, if nothing else to get an idea what asking prices are for similar cars.

As for the wait, I would suspect that is typical. Porsche is always sending me PR stuff about how great sales are, how the new models are winning awards, are very hot, etc. and from what I understand, this is the time of year when folks are most active for buying of cars, so I can imagine they're not as flexible as they might otherwise be in time and price.

Good luck with hunt. Post pics when your friend seals the deal....T