School me on 996's, please! | FerrariChat

School me on 996's, please!

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by texasmr2, Apr 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Basically at this time I am just kicking tires on 996's and do not even know if I will like the 996 as a DD because my '04 E60 525i is the bomb as a DD but....I need another true sports car. Long story short is that I was hoping a could get some opinions on the good and bad of the 996 with no plans of tracking the car, just enjoying it.

I will be test driving this one tomorrow....
    Used 2003 Porsche 911 Carrera For Sale in Houston TX | Stock: P3S622135

One issue I do have is that there are no actual pictures of the vehicle, the color is only listed as "blue" and I would like to know the true color. I will post pictures and impressions tomorrow yet any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am also willing to wait for the right financial time so I am in no rush, I just want to experience/drive the base model, the C4 and the Turbo.

Thanks in advance,
    Gregg

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
  3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You are probably right and the '02 has 20K less miles than the '03 and the '02 is convertible as well as AWD (no reserve on the '02 though gives me pause). I would be very happy with a pre-'04 996/6-speed in coupe or convertible, $25K is my cap with a $5K trade-in.

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I would pass on the 996 and pick an earlier or later model. I understand that some may love it... They do nothing for me for looks or the interior where you spend all your time. So I'm sorry but being honest. You'll be disappointed every time you walk away from it and the view will not be inspiring. Find another car you will love seeing depending on your budget.

Robb

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    So another MKII MR2T you say? Thanks!

6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Or go for a turbo.

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Lol. I wasn't suggesting that. And of course I'm not trying to insult 996 owners or you with what you like which is all that really matters.

I just don't want to see you sell yourself short. I remember driving a 996 and the gear shift came off in my hand. That didn't happen with my 911 sc so I thought they failed in many departments with the 996. It didn't feel or look special to me.

I just got back from the Porsche factory and museum. Lot of better cars that I would go for made by them. Many within your budget.

Robb

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Head to Rennlist, Gregg. Prices are great on 996s, due in part to scare about IMS and they are not air cooled. Think you can get ones in 20K range. Just budget some bucks for likely maintenance on cars approaching 15+ years. Good luck in the hunt...T

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #9 El Wayne, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    It's Cobalt Blue Metallic. Here's the CARFAX, by the way.

I had a 996 from new. Drove it for five years and put 75,000 very rough miles on it during that time. Never a hiccup.

The 996 gets bashed by the purists because 1) it was the first water-cooled 911; 2) it was larger and more of a grand touring car than previous 911s; 3) it ventured farthest away from the traditional 911 look, especially in the odd, Boxsteresque headlight design; and 4) early cars had reported engine reliability issues.

I agree with points 1-3 (I wanted a new 993, but began looking too late), but as I said, I never had a single reliability issue, and mine was a very early car (1998 date of manufacture). I was probably just lucky.

My honest and heartfelt advice to you, however, is to put off buying a toy like this until you're in a better position to deal with unexpected maintenance and repair costs. I had a friend who was underemployed and yet bought (on payments even) and drove a 964 Turbo as a daily driver. As you can imagine, his life was turned upside down when it suffered a catastrophic engine failure and he lacked the funds to make it roadworthy again. Had to keep on making those payments, though. But of course, he's the kind of guy whose life is always filled with drama anyway. Some people just go through life without thinking clearly, making mistake after mistake, and then wondering why these things always happen to them.

I'm sorry; I have digressed.

10. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Well said, Wayne.

Good advice.

Mike

11. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Great cars for sub $20K. IMO the IMS issues are blown way out of proportion. If you're worried about it there are IMS warning kits and retrofits available. Mine was lowerd with a ground kit/wheels and looked pretty awesome...less jellybean.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

Maybe too obvious to restate, but just because a Porsche (or Ferrari) has depreciated to Camry level doesn't mean repair costs are Toyota-ish.

13. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Gregg,

Go or a 996 C4S or 996 Turbo, no model less.
    I've own both and will be getting another 996 Turbo sooner than later.
    Super fast, good looking in the right color, and absolutely bullit proof.
    Also, they have never been cheaper than they are now, talk about bang for your buck!
    I am in Houston in you need some local advice.

Mat

14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Excellent advice.

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very wise reflections...although depending on when your friend owned it/whether he still owns it, his 964 Turbo could have made him far more than the cost of an engine rebuild now..

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    He managed to trade it in (in its broken-down state) on a used S-Class, which eventually needed a major engine repair that he couldn't afford. It was repossessed.

I love this guy like a brother (he's truly a good friend), but he calls me every couple of weeks to tell me about some new drama that's going on in his life - almost always the results of his own poor decision-making, his habit of living beyond his means, and his desire to be perceived as a high-roller.

17. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    996TT Go For It !!!
    I bought one a few months ago, and UNREAL !!!!!!!!!!!

18. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    If you don't mind its looks, the 996TT is a bargain in terms of performance and it doesn't have the dreaded IMS that can potentially grenade and destroy other 996 engines.

If you aren't going with a 996TT, then I would either go pre 996 model (993/964/911) or I'd go with a 2nd generation 997 with direct injection engine...when they got rid of IMS. Some people claim IMS failure is rare, but I know someone with a car that suffered IMS failure, and Porsche settled a class action suit involving IMS failures so that is enough for me to avoid a 996.

Good luck!

19. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    996 is a great DD. Cheap, decent looks, small, utilitarian and fun to drive. I currently DD a '00 C2, had an LS1 powered '99 C2 daily driver and just picked up an '01 Turbo to replace the '00. The C2 with coilovers and decent tires has the best turn-in of any car I've driven (not fast, but the feel).

Personally, I wouldn't spend over $20k on a narrow body 996. If you're spending $30k, spring a few thousand more for a turbo.

20. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Get the 996TT. Do it.

21. sitz

sitz Rookie

Apr 6, 2009
    With your budget the turbo may be out of reach. However, if you can stretch the budget, I would also vote for the turbo. Super reliable and should hold its value better than NA versions. Really a lot of car for the money.

22. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    So, I thought I'd give this thread a bump too.

I've started the search for a 997 Targa, but seems to be slim pickings at the moment.

I have come across a 2002 996 targa (90k miles) for pretty cheap price (asking $22k), and am wondering how one of these cars would fare as a daily driver.

Anything special to know about the 996 Targa's?

I assume all other 996 issues apply.

Thanks!

23. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    There is a reason 996s are a lot cheaper than 993s and 997s. Skip it and keep looking for a second generation 997 Targa with direct injection engine and no potential dreaded IMS issues.

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Dom…996s are insanely cheap, not only due to the IMS scare (which many believe to be over-blown), but also due to their greater age and mileage.

You indicated that this would be a DD, so that's the only worry that I would have about an older car - 996 or not. How long/far is your commute? If your 996 went down for a while, could you arrange alternative transportation?

From what I have read, the worst case scenario is a new engine in the 15 - 25 K range if the IMS grenades on you. So, 25K car + 25K engine = 50 K worst case scenario, close to prices you were quoting for 997 Targas. If your budget permits that worst possible expenditure & you had another means of getting to work while the 996 was in the shop, then it is worth considering. If the 996 holds up apart from the usual maintenance one expects on a 12 - 15 year old DD, then you're ahead of the game, and have a car that most would not be able to discern from a newer 997.

If I were going to do it over again, I would get a 996, keep a reserve of 25 K in the bank for doomsday scenarios, do some preventative work when I first got it - change all the fluids, upgrade IMS, address rear main seal, etc. - and then drive it like I stole it. Of course, if my Porsche goes down, I have only an arduous 1/2 mile commute, and I am sure my wife would let me borrow her highly reliable Honda pickup truck! :)

T

25. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks!

My commute to work is about 5 miles, so not too bad. I currently use a 2008 Audi A4 with about 105k miles with no issues. I have the 308 as a backup if necessary. If I were to buy a 997, I would probably sell the A4. If I bought an 996, perhaps I could keep the Audi as a backup.

The cheapness of the 996 is a big plus, especially when I can tell the wife I'm going to spend half of what I thought I was to spend. Of course, until I see the car, I don't know how much it will need, and how good it really looks (the ad only has a couple pics).

I'm keeping my options open. I really would like a Targa, whether it is a 996 or 997. I can wait, but I hate waiting. I really wish I could pick one up soon. The money feels like it's burning a hole in my pocket, and there is always the fear that 3 or 6 months from now, circumstances can change and boom, no more car...