What's a rough 1970 911T worth? | FerrariChat

What's a rough 1970 911T worth?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by rdefabri, May 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I know of a 1970 911T coupe for sale not far from me. No visible rust, from what I could tell a crummy overspray. Interior ok, not sure if it runs.

Wrong rims, etc, but without much detail, it looked to be an honest car on the surface. I believe the 911T were the lower powered models, presumably not worth as much as an E or S?

I'm not a buyer, but just curious. The asking price ($32K) seemed high to me...

2. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
  3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    70-73s are worth a lot. Go to hagertys valuation page. 30k sounds cheap. These things have tripled in value in the last 3 years.

Bo

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah, "T" series cars are awesome. The "S" & "E" are certainly superstars but the "T" still holds its own.

Think of it as one of the other Baldwin brothers.

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Huh????

Alec is the dirtbag skumball... the others are good people.

6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Haha!

Thanks guys, I've been thinking of taking another look at it. I'm not Porsche savvy, I know these things rust - where / what to look for?

7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bwhhahahhahaha!

Rust - yes. Look at the battery box, and the front torsion bar mounting area. Then check the dog leg zone ahead of the rear wheels and look to the a-pillar/hinge mounts at the front of each door. The floor boards are a given but simple to correct compared to the other areas.

Now I am calling Alec & seeing what his deal is :)

8. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    #8 ersatzS2, May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The T was certainly the low end of the line but still desirable. However, costs the same to restore as an S but worth 30-40% less so need to be careful. IMO cars are not worth a full restoration until you are into the hundreds of thousands...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    Plug yourself in with the friendly NJ or PA guys , Be very careful these cars can be rust buckets. Battery boxes , inner and outer sills,kidney panels inside rear arches ,floor pan front holds all the suspension ..... Torsion tube at rear .

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It certainly looked rough, but not at 5-10 feet. It appeared (and I'm doing this from memory as it was 2 weeks ago) to be a cheaply resprayed body with a tired interior. Wrong rims, didn't sit "right"...my guess is underneath was probably worse than it appeared.

I didn't give it a second thought other than a) it was a 1970 and b) the asking price was $32,000. Led me to believe that it might be worth SOMETHING.

Have not been back to look at the car. It's far enough to be "not worth it", but close enough that I could do it on a Saturday with no issue.

Porsches scare me. Old ones even more so, as I knew someone that owned one and he said it more or less rusted to death. Having owned a few Datsun 240Zs, I know how bad the tin worm can be, but at least a Datsun is cheap.

I may try to call the place where it was parked to see if it's still available.

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They all rust to death. Any vintage/classic Porsche that hasn't been to documented bare metal in the modern era should have a huge "mystery metal" discount. The box-section steel body with ancient rust prevention is a lot harder to restore than a body-on-frame structure.

I would buy an old 911 which had the body perfectly restored, even if the engine was smoking badly. I don't know that I'd touch one that had a perfectly rebuilt engine and a body with an old repaint -- that would be the money pit...

12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'd say it's $15k and hope the owner doesn't take it

13. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the recent surge in prices has caused many, otherwise undesirable cars, to be "warmed over and flipped" for a quick profit. A buyer needs to be very careful and choose a car with a sound beginning vs a bucket of rust salvaged from the crusher which is no more than a "pig with lipstick". There are sufficient number of cars to be selective and find one with "good bones", as both are competing for the same money.