'99 C4 | FerrariChat

'99 C4

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by texasmr2, May 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #1 texasmr2, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    I am going to look at and test drive said car/model tomorrow (http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Porsche-911-Houston-d404_L34369#listing=110222229) and thought it best I take a consensus regarding said year and model. 117K, Speed Yellow Coupe (always liked this color), black leather, 6-speed with all the goodies..(ABS Brakes,Air Conditioning,Alloy Wheels,AM/FM Radio,Cassette Player,Cruise Control,Driver Airbag,Front Side Airbag,Front Side Airbag with Head Protection,Leather Seat,Manual Sunroof,Passenger Airbag,Power Door Locks,Power Sunroof,Power Windows,Rear Window Defogger,Tachometer,Tilt Steering,Tilt Steering Column,Vehicle Anti-Theft).

Are there any concerns about maintenance I need to be aware of? I asked Joe S. but thought it best I also get others input. I love the Beemer but have been a 911 fan for 30+ and life is short.

Thanks,
    Gregg

PS, The VIN# is WP0AA2990XS624622. I had a "feeling" so I Googled Porsche VIN's and found a proven VIN# but via this search this VIN# is for a convertible....WP0AA2990XS624622 Porsche 911 C4 convertible 1999 - VinDecoderz.com is the best VIN number lookup tool. Did I use the wrong source?

2. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Called my insurance company regarding coverage for this 911 and I almost fainted after hearing their quote! Just an extra $4 per month for the 911 over the BMW and I have full coverage plus all the goodies as well as "un-insured motorist" coverage on the BMW!
    A lot I guess can be said for keeping a clean driving record, knock on wood.

The World just fell off its axis.

3. 250californiafan

250californiafan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2006
    Shawnee, KS
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That one looks pretty nice considering the mileage that it has. I would definitely suggest having a PPI done on it. During the PPI the shop will be able to look at the over-revs in addition to the normal parts. This can give you somewhat of an idea of whether or not the car was abused. The 996 is a great car for the money. I have been using my 2001 cabrio as a daily driver for the past three years and have not had many issues.

4. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #4 texasmr2, May 18, 2015
    Remember when 117K miles meant barely broke in?
    Yes a PPI would be preferable and if I can work it into the sale price that would be preferable but is not a deal breaker.

Suggestions for a PPI in Houston other than Sphere?

5. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    Rennsport at Sealy - mike Callas

6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    IMS, RMS, AOS, suspension, brakes/rotors, plugs/coils, water pump/T-stat, fluid changes, oil leaks.....,

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thanks and I have not been to Sealy in a few years.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    honestly given the mileage, best bet is to pull the motor, do a new clutch/flywheel, IMS, RMS, fuel filter, etc etc. basically a light mechanical restoration. will be a big bill but the car (assuming it's not a basket case) will be good to go another 100k.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I understood everything after AOS as those are common for any vehicle.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IMS= Intermediate Shaft bearing
    RMS= Rear Main Seal
    AOS= Air Oil Separator

please do some very specific research into the M96 motor and the 996 before buying, in addition to a very thorough PPI. these cars can be great if you get a good one and an absolute disaster if you get a bad one.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #11 texasmr2, May 18, 2015
    I guess times and quality have changed since I could beat the living crap out of a 4AGE or 3SGTE and not have any leaks or issues for 250+K miles, if any at all.

Thanks for saving me the time and gas.

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    change the fluids... drive it till it grenades

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Damn straight!!

A good excuse to get out of the house right?

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I did read while doing some research that the 996 T Twas not prone to the IMS issue like the N/A is, is that true? I think I mentioned earlier that I was told the car has a complete service history but a dealer and buyers opinion usually is not the same especially when the car is not being sold through Porsche.

15. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    That's a great looking 996. Lots of car for the money.

You can monitor oil and filter condition, magnetic drain plug debris, etc, for signs of the IMSb starting to disintegrate. Large metallic particles are a precursor to failure. There is a device called the IMS Guardian which alerts you when that happens. Cheap and easy to install.

The 996TT used the GT1 based Mezger engine which was not plagued with IMS issues.

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes sir I also think it is a lot of car for the money considering the condition (I found more wear and tear on newer models and they were mid to high 20's). I hope that what they told me is true regarding having most if not all maintenance receipts/history. Great advice regarding monitoring the IMS wear via a magnetic drain plug and the IMS Guardian is a great idea. I am just thinking aloud but one would think that if the IMS issue is not an issue on the TT it is manufacturer/production flaw that should be covered via a "Recall" but that would be wishful thunkin'.

As I told the sales person (could be the owner?) if you can meet or beat my current monthly payment (extending from 60 to 72) we will make a deal, I always pay an extra $20/month. I will not be crushed if things do not workout though.

17. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    These statements do not jibe.

Mark

18. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    With all due respect, I don't think you want to be making payments on a 16 year old Porsche. This falls into the toy category. If you can't pay cash, then walk away.

The only exception would be if you had a better use for the cash where the return exceeds the interest rate on the loan. Very rare, and doesn't happen often.

19. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    No offense.. but if you have to finance a $16K car for 72 months in order to be able to afford it, a 16 year old Porsche is not the right car for you. If the IMS goes you are looking at $10K to rebuild the motor. The other option is to spend $2-3K to do the IMS/RMS/clutch ahead of time, if you can afford it.

IMO you are playing with fire. Do yourself a favor and get a cheaper car (purchase price and maintenance). You should be able to easily find a 350Z, RX8, C5 for close to $10K and have just as much fun as with the 996.

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    listen to these guys. please.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Alex you are spot on with every point you made and I appreciate your insight and advice, thank you. I rely more than I let on for the advice I get from my friends here on FChat. I was letting my "other head" think for me simply I want another sports car so with that being said I did keep my promise to the owner and checked out the car. In reality I knew that a $16K 911 had issues that justified its cost. I just returned home from the inspection and test drive and the car has the usual wear and tear that can be justified for a 16yr old Camry but not for a Porsche, in my opinion. The interior is not in dire straights because those issue are easily fixed and the paint is in damn good condition so much so that I doubt it is the original paint.

Then the test drive....the suspension is shot, the car pulls to the right, there is a very concerning whine coming from the right rear that would require a full tear down if not an engine drop to find. Once again with that being said the car is nothing more than a project car ie money pit and my BMW deserves more respect. The engine was strong, the shifter was true as well as the brakes (grain of salt) but I walked away. I did inform the owner of the issues I discovered thus my decision to walk away. Heck my MR2's (MKI's and MKII) felt more solid than this car but it was not given the care and attention it deserved from its previous owners.

Gonna hang low for a few more years and relive the dream aka another MR2.

Thanks for listening all and thanks for the advice.

Gregg

PS, Don't forget my 51st is coming up on July 4th and I could use some friendly company and a jaunt in anything that starts with a F, P....you get the idea. Would be great to see BigTex again as well.

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Get European Cars on Feagan to give it the once over.

Phil Lightfoot there has been working on them for decades, he will tell you truth.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    See above post my brother.

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    All standard on every 996 coupe.

By the way, Gregg, have you seen this? http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/other-cars/487550-2000-porsche-911-c2-coupe-996-a.html

25. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg