PDK question | FerrariChat

PDK question

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jvecchi, Jul 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I have both a '10 Turbo PDK and a '15 GT3. I hate the Turbo's PDK shift pattern when using the console lever (forward to upshift, rearward to downshift) compared to the GT3 (rearward to upshift, forward to downshift). The GT3 pattern seems 'natural' while the Turbo pattern seems awkward. Is there a way (swapping some wires, reprogramming, etc.) to change the Turbo pattern into a GT3 pattern?

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would imagine it could be done though I doubt a Porsche dealer would ever attempt it. Might be easier to add Techart paddle shifters to the steering wheel (I did that on my car).

3. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Both cars have paddle shifters. I sometimes like to use the console lever, though - it feels more 'manual transmission like' when I do. With the patterns reversed between the cars, though, it's easy to forget which car I'm in and sometimes I move the lever the wrong way when I'm in the Turbo.

4. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    It seems simple - swapping the micro switches for the + and -. And then getting a new plastic overlay from the GT3

BUT, this will mess up your warranty and make it difficult to sell. Also as the PDK is integrated into other electronic controls, you never know what could be impacted. So not recommended.

Just as a blue sky thought - is there a pull push geared mechanism (or cantilevered mechanism) that has levers that direct force in the opposite direction - meaning a push on one side will pull the other side. If this contraption can be attached to the gear lever, you might be golden. That way no mess up of electronics. When you want to sell the car you take out the contraption.

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I agree the backward shifting is counterintuitive, but don't see the problem. The shifter and need to use the key (no keyless entry?) are my 2 biggest complaints about the GT3. If the shifter was removable and vibrated it might be useful, but I see no point of any kind in taking my hand off the wheel to shift a DCT-equipped car - every other DCT-equipped car of which I am aware jettisons the appendix-like shifter. All the shifter does is block my view of and access to the sound and HVAC controls. If I had the time I'd engineer a removal and install a 5-button panel with P, N, D, R and M.

Rant out.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what were you planning on doing with it?

:eek:

7. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I drive both cars exclusively in manual mode. Yes, I generally use the paddles. But, I have an issue I doubt most of you have to deal with. I'm disabled, and have hand controls installed in my cars. With my Ferraris, since the paddles were in a fixed position, it was easy to reach up with my left thumb and toggle the paddle. In the Porsches, with the paddles on the steering wheel, if the wheel is turned a bit I can't always reach the paddle with my thumb, so at times it's easier to steady the steering wheel with my left thumb and use the shift lever with my right hand. As I said in my opening post, it's OK as long as I stop and remind myself which car I'm in. Jumping back and forth between the GT3 and the Turbo it's easy to forget - I default to whatever I drove last.

I had a BMW Z4 in which each paddle would both upshift or downshift, depending if you pushed or pulled it. I could keep my right hand on the wheel at all times and shift up or down with no problems. Outside of maybe Corvettes, I don't think anyone else has a setup like that. Pity.

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Well that is a unique and difficult situation - I assume you have to manage throttle and brake at the wheel, too. Makes for a lot of controls to contend with and I can see how knowing where the controls are, regardless of wheel orientation, might be better.

9. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi All, McLarens can be shifted up / down from each lever as the design is a see-saw like lever.

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    on the current model car, PDK is available with gear selectors in 2 different locations ... the basic setup is with the selectors located on the wheel spoke where the wheel meets the spoke ( facing driver ) ( more convenient to use a thumb )... the option is the selectors are located behind the wheel ( side away from driver ) ( requiring the use of the fingers )...

it would likely require replacing the entire steering column, than a simple wheel change

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Sounds like a good excuse to trade the '10 TT on a '15 or '16. ;)

12. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Funny you should say that. My dealer has '15 Turbo S in agate gray with a black aerokit in his showroom that I've been drooling over. But, with only about 10-12 weeks left in 2015 before the weather turns to snow here in PA, and with the 991.2 cars less than a year away, it doesn't seem wise to trade now. But when the 991.2's are available, I'm certainly going to investigate trading up.