2016 Boxster Spyder | FerrariChat

2016 Boxster Spyder

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by johnhoughtaling, Jul 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #1 johnhoughtaling, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    I confess, I am not a porsche fan, at all. I've had one or two growing up only before I couldn't afford a Ferrari. I've looked at money spent on a new 911 porsche as a wasted opportunity to buy a better used Ferrari. There are of course a few old plastic Porsches, 917, and a few mid engined Porsches that I always saw as the exception

But I boy have to say, I have an itch, and I'm lusting after a new 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder. I am in lust here. Years ago I had an older boxster as a beach house car and really liked it. Boy this new car is just fantastic. I've got a 488 on order and I can say without a doubt I am more excited about this new Boxster Spyder.

First it's proportions are perfect. New super cars, even my 458 is just too big. The size is ideal for a sports car. It looks amazing, super exotic, just a looker. Now a 911S motor in it, I'm really in love and I can't wait. I cannot remember the last new car I was this excited about and the thought of a car I'd buy and always keep.

Anyone have one? Driven one?

2. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #2 jvmax, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    they are not out yet, as a 1st gen Boxster spyder owner I feel like Porsche watered down the styling on the 2nd gen (top pic)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 jvmax, Jul 15, 2015
    more pics. as you can see on the new spyder, the side windows are the same as the regular boxster. The old spyder has unique side glass that follows the angle of the sloped roof. While the new spyder has an easier removal process, the back window rear panel does not come out like the 1st gen so you cant just have a sunshade anymore. Lastly the price on the new spyder is much higher than the 1st gen for the same options, granted you are getting the carrera S motor.

4. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 jvmax, Jul 15, 2015
    you can see the roof on the regular boxster compared to the new spyder. Hopefully not too much info for everybody. The 1st gen Spyder can be had in the $50k-$60k range which is alot of car for the money. Carbon Fiber Sport Bucket seat spyder's are the most desirable, lots of info on rennlist.com

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the 1st gen.

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I think Porsche should go for the trifecta and call it the Boxster Spyder Convertible

7. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Lol!

8. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    #8 rmolke85, Jul 16, 2015
    All jokes aside, seriously John, look into a nice 987.2 Spyder. It is the sleeper among the modern porsche cars.

Look for, 6 speed, bucket seats, PCCB if possible, sport shift, sport chrono, PSE, and A/C as it seems to be a preference for most. You dont need the extra HP the new one offers, the old one did the quarter mile at 109mph. Its about the styling which as you can see above is illustrated quite nicely. Its an incredible package and only 2000 cars made. The last of the analogue steering mid-engined cars from Porsche. A gem not yet appreciated.

9. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #9 jvmax, Jul 16, 2015
    I believe around 800 cars for the usa market. My Spyder has the full carrera red leather interior with the sport buckets. My car did not have the sport exhaust, I added it from the dealer for about $3k installed.

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've heard nothing but great things about the 1st gen cars. I imagine these will be great as well. Now available with sports seats option and PTS.

11. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    As far as the side glass on the 987.2 Boxster Spyders, I was under the impression it was simply the side glass from the 987 Cayman.

The 987.2 Spyder is a great car, no doubt about it. However, as a former 987 Boxster S owner, I spent 4 day driving a 981S and enjoyed it so much that it killed my interests in having any 987 including the Boxster Spyder (a car I considered at one point). The 987 Spyder is a great car, but for me the 981 is far more enjoyable to drive both on winding roads and if I have to in the city . I think the clutch and fuel delivery also seem better matched to the engine -possibly a software improvement (a buddy who was a life long manual transmission driver with a Cayman S 987.2 was always complaining about his 6 spd manual car stalling out when leaving stop lights unless he floored it. He said there known issue discussed on Planet 9 that IIRC was software related. A friend with a Boxster Spyder 6spd manual said he had also experienced similar issues taking off from stop lights).

As far as watered down styling, I disagree...they borrowed elements from the 987 Spyder, but the 981 IMHO is a far better looking car to start with so I think with the new car they ended up with a far better looking result. Yes, the top is more of a look now than a functional necessity, but not everyone loved the way the old top functioned. In addition, the first time I saw the old Spyder I thought it looked like someone strapped a folding lawn chair to a Boxster and put fabric over it. Although most convertibles look better with the top down anyway.

As far as the higher price, if I were looking for a Spyder,...I'd rather spend a bit more an get a 911S engine. Afterall, one can buy a Boxster S or GTS with the X73 sport suspension. The 911S engine further distinguishes the new Spyder and gives an enhanced level of performance over the other Boxsters sine they can all be purchased with the sport suspension.

We all tend to have our biases and no car can be everything to everyone. IMHO the Spyder and GT4 are steps in the right direction ...especially as they are manual transmission only cars! I actually, just saw and sat in a new GT4 this past weeked at a Porsche sponsored event and it was fantastic! Just wished we could have taken it out for a quick drive.

12. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I currently own a 987 Spyder, and have an order in for a 981 Spyder. PTS, sport buckets.

As much as I love the Ferraris, and have built my business around them, the Boxster Spyder is just a magical car. The best description that I have ever read about them, which fits the car perfectly: it's like a puppy that always wants to play.

It's a very different car than a regular Boxster, or at least the 987 Spyder is (obviously haven't driven a 981 Spyder yet). Not just aesthetically; it feels and drives differently as well.

Some cars just "speak" to us, and the Spyder definitely speaks to me, and to almost everyone who drives it. It's no wonder that the 987 Spyder is on many "Top 10 Porsches ever made" lists.

13. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004

Because it does NOT have air conditioning
    Absolutely perfect spec yet the guy cant give it away at $10k under market

A lesson for all the "purist" who want a light delete everything car...it appeals to a VERY small audience at resale time.

bill

14. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I completely glazed over that line (as i'm not in the market) but that makes sense.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Yea, I think the guy finally sold the car. I remember when guys were ordering those cars new on Rennlist, and there were 1 or 2 guys that ordered cars without air conditioning. Only later when the cars build info was available did the guy/s discover the dealer ordered the car WITH air conditioning. The buyer was annoyed, but I believe the dealers said if the deal falls through, we aren't going to get stuck with a non AC car.

16. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I would have bought that car had it had aircon.

Even in a cooler climate, you can't clear the windscreen without it.

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i wouldnt be surprised if that manual spyders become collectible.

18. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    with sport buckets that is. those seats if you wanted to add from the parts counter are like $10k a pair if you can get them

19. Robin360

Robin360 Formula 3

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I have the same feeling. Not a Porker fan at all...but this car just keeps going though my mind.. I'd like to go back to basics and new Ferrari's are huge for the road. I regretted not buying the 987 one until this one came out. Love the looks and if it sounds as the Boxster GTS I drove a while ago (and they say it does...) then it will simply be bonkers. The first reviews are coming out on youtube and it's called the most fun Porsche now available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HkY2aIyUi8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9BIhnyVEHg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv0BPlqP8Jk

I'm hoping to test-drive it tomorrow.....

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree. Based on the Boxster S I drove, I think the 981 series cars were a major step forward. Other than the 918 Spyder, the new Boxster may be Porsche's best styling since the 1950s.

I would have liked to have seen a PDK option, though, because it seems like it might crack the 4 second 0-60 mark with it. (Which, come to think of it, may be why Porsche won't let us have it...)

21. Robin360

Robin360 Formula 3

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Demo car hadn't arrived. Drove a Turbo S instead as a compensation offer. Very fast but no emotions or sensation whatsoever. I expect the Spyder to be a lot more fun. Test drive postponed to next week. Will be Silver GT color.

22. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Robin

Please post some photos when you see it. I'm really excited about this car. To me, the size/shape/performance makes it the most interesting thing on the market. Sure wish Ferrari would build something like this. As much as I like my 458 I much prefer something this size.

23. Robin360

Robin360 Formula 3

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Robin
  24. Robin360

Robin360 Formula 3

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Robin
    #25 Robin360, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    So today...my test drive. It was the first Spyder to arrive in my country, and I was the first to drive it. That was a nice feeling. The downside was I couldn't drive it that long (and the salesman had to come along), but it was long enough to do both a bit of highway and some country roads. Even some speed bumps.

I'm not gonna mess about...it's epic. My friends are not happy with me looking at a Boxster after selling my Ferrari 360. But it's a worthy replacement.

Good points:
    1. Very direct steering. It's a bit like the 360 really. You steer too much and it snaps from under steer to oversteer (though in those small roads with the guy next to me I couldn't REALLY test it out) but you can actually sense it happening so it gives you that feedback. Very nice.
    2. It has high gear ratios so you can just drive to work in 2nd or 3rd. It's the same as the 360. No need to continuously shift gear. This is for people like me who like to drive high revs. Many complained about it with the GT4. I understand it in a GT4, which is oriented at track use. But for road use, I actually prefer it. Everybody to his own thing, but in my 360 I was used to driving high revs and low gears (through towns or country side) and this car has actually even more torque than the 360 at low revs.
    3. It can actually be pretty quiet and reasonably soft on the highway.
    4. Love the popping exhaust but there is also a high engine revving noise. It's a much bigger engine and so closely behind you you really hear it, like a Ferrari. Except that the V8 sounds 'deeper'. It's loud. Good. But you can switch it off to quiet mode.
    5. I love the manual gearbox. It handles well. Clutch is good too. No thick stick which nowadays you often see.
    6. It really is something special. Already it looks special.
    7. It feels light. I know the weight saving isn't as much as the old Spyder, but it's only 40 kg heavier than that one. It's still a light car. And now with crazy horsepower. It's much wilder, I think, than the previous one.

Bad points: mmhhh well the roof still takes some time to open/close and my plan was to leave it folded inside when parking in my garage, but maybe that's not a good idea as it's thin and subject to fold 'lines' (don't know how to call them). It's not a super car like a Ferrari but I do really like it. It was exactly as I expected.

I'm pretty sure I will order one.

Some pics: