997.2 Turbo lag | FerrariChat

997.2 Turbo lag

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jvecchi, Jul 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I have a '10 997.2 Turbo PDK with 7k miles. I picked up the car last fall when it had 4200 miles. Anyway, the car seems to have a lot of turbo lag, compared to what I remember from a '03 Turbo Tip I used to have. I would have thought that the 997.2 with the VTG turbos would have better throttle response. I've been wondering if something might be amiss with my car. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #2 Manda racing, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    If you are experiencing turbo lag, there is probably something amiss with your car. My 77 930 has lag but my 996tt is almost instantaneous. You can also get some UMW software as that really woke up my car.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Are you feeling turbo lag or the drive by wire hesitation? I end up putting sprint boosters on my cars these days since they all seem to have that hesitation. Those cars are pretty sensitive so if you had any boost leak you would likely throw a code. You might want to check Rennlist or 6 speed, and see if others have experienced anything like what you are feeling. I remember the diverter vales were terrible in the 996tt, maybe they still are not up to par.

5. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Gents - thanks for the input!

6. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    My 997 GT2 has very little turbo lag. Something must be amiss, are you getting full boost?

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's my thought, it's either PDK and/or drive by wire related, not strictly turbo lag.

at any rate it's worth a trip to the dealer and let them do some diagnostics.

8. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    The car goes in next week for a regular service, so I'll have them run a diagnostic while they have it. In other news, I'm thinking part of the problem might be the way I'm driving it, in that I'm probably not keeping the revs high enough. The car has so much torque, that many times I realize I'm only at about 1800 revs (I drive the car exclusively in manual mode), so that may be a contributing factor. I've been more conscious of this and have been working to keep the revs around 2500 and the car seems to respond much better.

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    That could very well be what you are feeling, not that I want to critique your driving style, but in my experience (and I have owned my share of Porsche's ) these cars do not respond that well if you do not learn the sweet spots of the power band (which is probably quite a bit higher than 2500rpm), if my memory serves me well it is around 5500rpm. Long term I think most techs would tell you that these cars need to be pushed every now and then.

10. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Well, I try to abide to my 100 / 100 rule - every time either my GT3 or the Turbo come out of the garage, I try to drive them 100 miles and at some point hit 100 MPH... I have no problem keeping the GT3 revs up because the vario- ram kicks in around 3800 rpm dramatically changing the sound, so it's easy to hear where you are in the power band. With the Turbo, I have a some trouble telling where I am in power band just by the sound - even with FVD mufflers. I guess years of being around unmuffled race cars, flying private airplanes, and spending time at the shooting range haven't been kind to my hearing.

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have the same issue with my hearing (though mine comes from 4 years on the road with the dead 42 years ago), you might want to check out 6 speed or the Rennlist forums. I am sure you will find references to the power band on there. Though I am pretty sure I am pretty close on the RPM numbers I put down earlier. It a gearshift car (which all my Porsche's other than the Panny were and are) you can feel it when you are shifting gears the car will just move between gears without even the slightest hesitation when you hit the sweet spots, kind of the like a F1 Ferrari .