Upcoming changes for 911 | FerrariChat

Upcoming changes for 911

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Robb, Jul 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I read in a latest "Automobile" that new 911's will be coming with turbo only engines in the future. The 992 or 991.2?

Anyone have info on what is planned? Are the NA engines really on the way out? Seems crazy to think of a 2.5 turbo in a base 911 even with 400 hp. Supposedly s 2.9 with 450 hp in the S...

Robb

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I think it will be next gen. The 991.2 is already ready.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It is odd - Porsche stuck with the flat six forever, which frankly should have been enough for efficiency/environmental regs.

4. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    I was talking with my dealer the other day and he confirmed that 2016's will all be turbocharged.

5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So that means the 991.2 to be shown in Sept will have turbos for both base and S. So only gt3 to remain NA. Wonder what that means for Cayman GT4 and Boxster spyder moving forward.

Robb

6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I would think this would cause cars with NA engines to go up in value...

Robb

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  8. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I also have 4 cylinder Turbo in my BMW. It's nice to have extra torque in every day driving, but rpm's and proper engine screaming is more fun...

9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    A new 912 sure sounds interesting! I just hope Porsche's Boxer 4 doesn't sound like a WRX/STi. Imagine what a tune can do!

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Agreed. Her SLK is a nice drive around town, especially if it's not too hot to pop the top. 911 is more fun on the twisty back roads!
    T

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

This is a 4-cylinder Porsche I'd love to get my hands on. ;)
    [​IMG]
    T

12. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Turbos when done right are magic. We have a new S550...you would never know it was twin turbo charged. So fast and smooth. NO delay.

The aftermarket is going to go nutty with ways to make your Turbo Porsche faster....its a new dawn for Porsche Tuners..

13. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    turbo 3 liter flat 6 with 400hp as the base motor - more power and more efficiency than the old 3.4 na motor. Not too difficult to understand why they're doing it.

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    But what about the sound?

15. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Don't blame Porsche.

Just the steady creep of the eco-Nazi regulators. Will continue to get worse and worse.

As for older N/A models "going up in value"... well just look at Paris now and you'll see what's coming for everywhere else eventually (banning of cars 7+ years old)... unless you want to buy it as a trophy piece to sit in your garage.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    We survived the death of the air-cooled engine. IMHO, that was a bigger loss but, yeah, I wonder whether a Boxster and a Prius are going to sound all that different...

Newer cars will keep getting cleaner, faster and more efficient, but I doubt classic cars would ever be banned. Even California is actually pretty lenient with the older stuff, and the air quality here is nowhere near the danger levels of the '60s and '70s.

I think there's too much interest and too much value in the vintage/classic car market to ban older cars. Paris and London (and Boston) are centuries-old cities and are special situations.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    As to sound, I am not an expert, but to my ears Porsche Turbo & Turbo S sound fine. Many consider the F-40 to be the finest Fezza, and it's a turbo, and I've not seen/heard too many complain about its sound. So, turbos can be made to sound "good", which I know is subjective, or is that too simplistic? Perhaps not as good as NA in the estimation of some (many?), but good. So, in addition to tuners are we also in for a heyday in aftermarket exhaust makers for Porsche?
    T

18. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Turbo engines sound **** compared to what they replace. That's the problem. V10 M5 vs. the replacement V8 Turbo M5. 63 AMG N/A vs the new C63 AMG with turbocharged engine. 328i BMW 3 series vs. old straight six 328i's... List goes on and on. It's not just the sound either, every review ever of these cars say that the new engines are lacking magic of the old ones. And I agree with them, even entry level BMWs have soulless engines now... A decade or so ago there were glorious straight sixes across the range... The "only" complain people have about the 488 is also that it doesn't sound as nice. To me, the difference between a good car and a great car is how it sounds.

The only new good sounding turbocharged car I've heard is the Noble M600. That sounds properly angry. The above mentioned cars are so "clean" and super efficient that the sound is lost on the way.

Wouldn't surprise me if the next generation 911 GT3 (not the 991.2, the whole new car after this current generation) would be turbocharged as well.

The end of an era is a fact. I have almost given up on new cars long ago. The only country I have some hope left for is UK. 6 speed V12 Astons, still leightweight Lotuses and the essense of driving thrills from Radical, Ariel and Caterhams. God bless.