Wife wants a Boxster/996... any advice? | FerrariChat

Wife wants a Boxster/996... any advice?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bpu699, Jul 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    We had a 2000 boxster s years ago... Ok car, had it for a year... Had a 99 996 for a while too..

Flash forward 10 years, and wife wants to get a boxster or 996 for herself... Any tips?

I know the IMS seal thing is an issue. From what I understand it 2000-2006 is the worst years, though it can effect any year. I know there was a lawsuit, and a recall.

I am looking primarily at cars for 15-20k$ or less, to keep for a couple years, and sell on. None of the cars listed, even looking up to 25k$, mention anything about having their IMS bearings replaced, or dealt with.

Most of the cars I am looking at have 60-90,000 miles...

Any years I should shoot for? Any years to avoid? A google search seems to suggest that 1997-1999 cars had less issues (but crappier interior build quality from what I remember). The recall only covered cars from 2014 on, I believe...

Any thoughts appreciated....

Bo

2. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Keep looking. Lots of 996's have had the prophylactic IMS, RMS and AOS change. I have been looking at 996's in consideration as my next DD as well. If you find one you like, you can have those three things done by a competent shop in the $2500 range.

the 996 started in '99. The 97 and 98 cars are 993's. Those will be outside your budget.

Some of the 996 guys like the 99's better, but their reasons seem to be opinion/speculation. I think it is just the typical "I bought it, so it's better" type of thinking. Since you are not planning on keeping it too long, just find one with a proven service history, get a PPI and you should be good to go.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #3 Michael B, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bo you are partly correct about some details.

I have two 986 Boxsters. One my wife's, the other for my Sons. Out of all of my mounts they are probably the most fun and easy cars that I have ~ as I am sure you can relate with. Its hard to beat jumping in a car without using the door. Or parking wherever you want - plus the great sounds related to the Boxster when used as it was designed. Neat cars.

Anyhow there was a class action for the IMS (that I was part of) but no "recall." So few cars were effected by the IMS that a recall could not be implemented. That said dont fear the IMS issue. Both of my cars received a IMS solution. Its not too expensive, and it seems to keep everything in check. This is not that big of a deal.

However let me say that the 987 version has gotten super affordable and is probably the way to go. Look to this example:

2007 Porsche Boxster GTS 2 Door Roadster

That is a 2007 for $19,500 ask with 70k or so miles. That is what I would be looking for.

My 986 pair consist of a 1998 2.5 liter & a 2003 2.7 (said to be one of the versions to have - because of the facelift, interior updates & glass rear window). However I would happily suggest the 987 over both of them.

No matter what, know that the Boxster is MUCH easier to sell than a 996. There is a butt for every Boxster seat. The 996 has become the 911 to avoid it seems. They have gotten cheaper & cheaper with no end in sight. Fair enough cars, but tough to exit from when the time comes. Enjoy the hunt.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thanks for the replies... :)

So do you think most of the folks took the IMS "settlement" and never fixed their cars?

Most folks when I ask about the IMS issue, have no idea what I am talking about. If you buy a boxster that hasn't been repaired... does this settlement still play a role? Is there a database of cars that have been fixed?

Obviously I would prefer to buy a car thats been repaired... but how does one tell?

I liked the Boxster S when I had it... but missed my 76 911s... It wasnt the same thing.

The 996 was ok... but the interior was horrible, and felt incredible cheap... I am suprised to hear that 996 are hard to sell. I know they aren't very desirable, but people do seem to be asking good money for them. Perhaps I can get one of those again on the cheap...

Wifes requirement is that the car is an automatic, doesnt "smell" or leak oil ;). That wipes out my entire fleet... ;)

What do you figure a 996 can be bought for? Is $15k doable?

Bo

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would go with the 987, if only because the interior quality was night and day better, and it's a much more attractive car, IMHO.

Early Boxsters had the plastic rear windows - so would definitely go 2003 or newer, regardless.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    +1 agree on the 987 has a much better quality interior, overall looks, and glass window. We had a 987 RS60 for 4 years and really liked it.

To the OP the only down side, is from what I understand its either very difficult (not sure its even possible) or very costly to do an IMS solution on a 1st generation 987 (05-08). They did improve the IMS system in I believe late 06...but its still not fool proof. If you can spend a bit more go for a 987.2 and it gets rid of the entire IMS issue altogether.

From my understanding the only true fix is to get that kit that LN Engineering sells. Even if Porsche replaced an engine under warranty due to IMS failure, they were replacing them with the same engine and a 2 year warranty. So there is no guarantee it couldn't happen again, although that would seem like pretty bad luck for a car.

Also for all the people that say IMS failures are so rare that its not something to worry about, its not something to worry about until it happens to you. Happened to a friend's 2004 Ltd Ed. Boxster S 550. He thought it was a bunch of old wives tales until his own car suffered IMS failure.

7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well that would have been impossible. Because you had to show a receipt for the actual damage & costs incurred before you could join in the class action. I had the receipt, and got paid. It seems that you think they just sent out checks! No, they strictly reimbursed.

If the car has had a LN bearing upgrade then a bar code decal is supplied to attach to the car (I place them in the door jamb). However it would be up to the shop that did the upgrade to install said decal. If the owner has no proof of the upgrade then assume its not there. The class action is over. Do not expect any further payouts.

Sure, I personally just dont want one. And I had the top of the heap 996 GT3 (which was a fantastic car).

Truer words never spoken!

Hey fair enuf. But... How about this. I have installed probably 1000 LN IMS retrofits. And I have serviced maybe 9000+ M96 engines over the last say 15 years. You know as stated above that I was part of the IMS class action ~ so I assume you can extrapolate from that that I must have had a M96 engine that experienced a failure. Even with ALL of that said... I can personally attest that the failure is rare. Period. Rare. As little as 1% of some of the models were effected (others slightly higher). However 1% of a hell of a lot of M96 engines made can of certainly included your friend and me - as 1% would still be a good number of engines for as many as were made. Nevertheless the failure is still not a doomsday sure thing. And seeing half a dozen cars have the issue in your life time does not make it much of an issue. Period.

The thermo reactor issues of the 2.7 liter 911's of the seventies was WAY worse. I dont see internet experts calling those out.

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    it is not the cheap way out, but just buy a Mezger engine car. 996 is still not feelin' the love so at least the turbo cars do not seem to have gone berserk in price like the air cooled cars and 997 GT cars.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The IMS issue may be rare, but for me it just wasn't rare enough to make me want to hang onto our 08 Boxster RS60 once it was going off warranty, even if those had the most updated/uprated IMS bearing. I tend to be very risk averse, but not everyone else is, so everyone has to do what best fits their needs and personality.

As for the thermo reactors of the 77 911s, those caused tons of headaches for people with MBs and BMWs also. My father's first gen BMW 530i from the mid 70s was a disaster (some of it's problems related to that).

Today people will buy any air cooled 911 as values have gone up drastically. However, I still have an old Porsche buyers guide somewhere that said stay away from the 2.7 from 74-77 (referencing thermo reactors). Cheers!

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thanks for the great responses... I do feel better if the failure rate was 1%... I thought it was closer to 10%...

In your opinion, is a higher or lower mileage car a better bet? IE> If a car has gone without a failure for 90,000 miles, its unlikley to happen... Or, do the failure rates go up as mileage goes up? I would assume the latter, but thought I would ask...

11. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I agree with all of the above. I have had many 930 turbos and 964 turbos and I just bought a 2008 Boxster and that is one fun car to drive! It is also the easiest to drive out of all my cars, too.

I have this sh*t eating grin everytime I drive her. 987s are getting much, much more affordable as three have popped up in the last month at around $20k. There was a really nice 06 Boxster in Speed Yellow with 28k on it for $19.5k. It sold to a dealer that flipped it at $23k. It sold pretty fast, too!

As for the IMS issues, I would say you are safer with a 987, especially the later 07-08 987.1 cars. You can avoid the whole issue by getting a 987.2, but it is a whole lot more money.

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If no records of the IMS/RMS upgrade exist, is there any other way to tell other than pulling everything apart?

13. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    l call BS on the 996 hate. They are the best value in the sports car market right now. Terrific cars that have been downtrodden by "eww the headlights" and IMS fear mongering. The early cars have the dual row IMS which is significantly more durable (1% reported failure rate). If you're really feeling ambitious grab a 996tt while they're cheap.

Seriously my first drive in a 996 was a huge eye opener. They push all the right Porsche buttons with the benefit of modern refinement and creature comforts. Likewise its hard to go wrong with a Boxster. Either choice will put a grin on your face each and every drive.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Get the 987 Boxster. It's such a better car.

I had a 2002 986. Now I have an 06' 997. The interior on the 997 is what the 986 SHOULD have been. Personally I like the 1999 996. its smooth and the body simple. I'd get another but not as a DD. As a 2nd car yes, but not as a DD..

16. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Well said. Great advise

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #17 bpu699, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    Its been a while since I owned the boxster and 996...

What I remember about the 996 is that it looked awesome. Anthracite, with the aerokit. It was a manual. I seem to recall that I just didn't get the thrill I expected from driving it. The motor didn't have that feeling of oomph as I accelerated. It didn't have the feeling of coming on the cam, or the rush of a turbo...

The boxster was a tiptronic. Can't say I loved it, but thats what my wife wanted. We bought the car, she was pregnant, decided not to drive it, and we sold it. It was a good car, but not a 911 or turbo....

18. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    We had two 996 company cars, a 2002 and 2004.... Both had IMS issues. One caught just in time, the other just beginning to go. I looked at a few other 996s during my search, more than a few had new engines under warranty. I would include in any 996 purchase the cost of an IMS upgrade. BTW, both our 996's loved hanging out at the shop more than with us. By contrast, our newly acquired 997 has proven itself bulletproof and has a stellar reliability history and our '06 boxster was also bulletproof by comparison--despite leading a hard life. Just my .02

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    How did you catch it just in time? Was it noticed at preventative change?

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe

After looking at so many cars with warranty replaced engines, I was very nervous about the bearing. In both instances, as soon as we purchased them I had the bearing done as a precaution. On the 2002, the mechanic called me with the car apart to tell me we had just dodged a bullet.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What the wife wants she gets! Just buy a mint Boxster/996.

Otherwise God help you if whatever you purchase instead gives trouble ... ;) :D
    Pete

22. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I just went through the same purchase and she ended up getting an Audi TT convertible. Love the car. quick, handles great. 4wd. Full audi care package and 70K warranty. Looks great black over black/grey. Tried the Porsche as well but she really likes the TT much better. Great deal $ and unless its the new body style 2016 Porsche I like the looks of the new TT better actually.
    Nd

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've been daily driving a 2013 TT coupe on lease and I coompletely agree with you - terrific cars. They wouldn't be my first choice for the track due to the weight distribution, but mine is strictly for normal driving and has been great. Quattro traction, DSG gearbox, durable 2.0T VW/Audi engine, best seats I've ever had in a car. Mine's black, S-Line, and gets a LOT of compliments, plus they're uncommon cars here. No issues after 27,000 miles.

I drove the TTS as well, and the power is addictive but the ride quality was harsher than I wanted for daily driving on our mediocre roads in San Diego. Even the 19-inch wheels on the base TT are probably harsher than most people would want.

They are a good value - the base TT outruns the base Boxster/Cayman for about $10K less MSRP, and the Porsche sticker price soars when you start adding stuff that's standard in the Audi.

24. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #24 peterp, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    For the 996 IMS bearing, the 1999-2001 are the most robust because they have a stronger dual-row bearing. In 2002, they increased the displacement/power to 3.6/320hp but decreased the size of the IMS bearing to single row (doesn't seem like the best decision on Porsche's part).

I saw somewhere that the data used in the lawsuit recorded a 1% failure for the early dual-row and 8% for the later single row IMS. Those data points were from a long time ago, and the cars are older now, so I would not consider any 996 that didn't have the IMS replaced with an LN bearing. Proactively replacing the IMS every 60k miles is probably safe for either single row or dual row, but the early ones should have the lowest risk.

996 interior "cheapness" depends on options. Without the full leather option, the interior feels very cheap. The stock 4-spoke steering wheel adds to the cheapness. There are other interior trim options that also make a big difference.

I don't think you can find a good 996 for $15k even though some are listed for that -- better to spend more and find one that has been meticulously maintained and had all the known problem areas addressed (with receipts!). It will be much cheaper in the long run. If the total budget is $15k, I would not recommend a 996. It the budget is higher though, I couldn't recommend one highly enough as they are great DD's.

25. sumbaco

sumbaco Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    #25 sumbaco, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i feel like i need something sporty. i keep coming back to this picture. a 2005 boxster s. i keep wondering how one can do a boxster outlaw. this seems a good place to start.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login