#82947 Speedster barn find | FerrariChat

#82947 Speedster barn find

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Bullfighter, Jul 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #1 Bullfighter, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Neat story about this car for sale and the gentleman who bought it in 1960 and raced it:

https://news.classiccars.com/porsche-speedster-barn-find/

There aren't many of these left. (The correct original color was #607 aquamarine metallic, per Reutter.) Probably acella bast interior.

As to whether it's a "barn find", I think the dealer uses the term a little loosely. The car was never forgotten, the engine is missing, and it was modified extensively, so it's not quite the untouched gem under a layer of dust. But, regardless, someone is going to have a lot of fun getting this one back on the road. Hopefully the top frame and bumpers clean up nicely, because those are a bear to find. Ditto those OEM steering wheels.

A nicely done ad by the Classic Cars team. (No affiliation.)

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hi Jon, I just added a 56 speedster to my collection. This car does look like fun. Wonder what they are looking to get out of it.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That term is always always used very loosely, and doesn't apply in the case of almost all 'discovered' cars, this one included.

That said, cool story!

4. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nice! What chassis #?

5. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
  6. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wow... mine's 82191. Nice find -- beehive without the bumper overriders.

7. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay

You're right john! However someone changed the bee hives to tear drops somewhere along the way. This was a common mod back in the day. Maybe when I'm done with 84683 I'll restore this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #8 4CamGT, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nice work Freeman! I think I've seen your car at the old cars n coffee, maybe like 5 years ago? Do you like the glaspar? I have a 58 A coupe with factory removable hardtop. That hardtop has been a piece of office furniture for about 4 years now, and was on the car about 2 days before taken off.

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Jay,

I've had my Speedster for about 16 years. Got the Glasspar over 10 years ago. I love love driving it with and without the top. Takes about 10 minutes to take on and off. Really easy and uses the existing top bolts. Kind of like a Revell model! I love the look and driving experience with the Glasspar. Gives it a bit of a hot rod coupe feel and look. Excellent visibility. Feels like being in a light aircraft cockpit. If your top needs restoration, my friend Russ Rodriguez remakes all the hardware. Believe it or not, the side window trim is originally from 50's Formica edging ;-)

Freeman