991 GT3 Tires | FerrariChat

991 GT3 Tires

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jvecchi, Aug 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Well, the tires on my 991 GT3 are starting to get pretty worn. I was going to switch to Pilot Super Sports since my car spends most of its life on the street, but the rears have been out of stock for months at Tire Rack and some of the other usual sources. Same thing with the Sport Cup 2's. Does anyone have source for these tires? Has anyone here run any other tire brand on their GT3?

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s for the 991 GT3 are readily available from multiple sources in the USA and worldwide, including Tire Rack. Your local Authorized Porsche dealer can take care of it for you if that's easier.

3. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I'm assuming your car came with Michelin's from the factory? Maybe try the Dunlops, which came on some GT3's?

4. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    He may be referring to the major back order on multiple Michelin tires at the moment. For example the rear sizes on the Pilot Sport Cup 2s are on back order at tire rack.

*I'm trying to get some Michelins for another car and my shop has exhausted every avenue for about 6 weeks and still nothing.

5. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    There are some who actually prefer the dunlops, especially for the street. Have to think they would fairly equivalent as porsche did put them on some cars at the factory.

6. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #6 Finlander, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I checked and they showed as available. Anyway, I simply can't believe this is anything but temporary for a tire used on current production models, Michelin will rectify this shortly. Meanwhile Dunlops seem like a good idea.

8. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Thanks for all of the input. As of this post, all of the Michelin and Pirelli rears are out of stock on Tire Rack's website. The Dunlops look interesting, but with a UTQG of only 80 I wonder how long they'll last.

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    My Dunlops are about at the wear bars with about 3000 total miles and 4, 30-min track sessions. Joe and I have a running battle over this, but I am going to a set of Finspeed 19" wheels and Toyo R888s for the track and Michelin Super Sports for the street wheels. IMO 20" wheels offer zero advantage other than looking cool and don't even get me started on the 21" on the RS.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Huh? What battle? I have my personal preferences, but as always, make yourself happy!

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    can you get your hands on the Yoko's they run in GT3 Cup? just curious how they'd work on the road car.

12. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    A turn of phrase, my friend - I like little wheels, you like bigger ones and have the benefit of Porsche engineers having made the selection to begin with. I think the wheels look great and based on your recommendation I de-selected black wheels and went with the normal finish, a decision I agree entirely with.

All I can say is I track my car and I don't think you do and several other track rats from Rennlist think 19s are the way to go; I tend to agree and don't want to booger up the stock wheels with inevitable issues from frequent tire changes and have you ever tried to remove and clean the concrete-like brake residue that cakes on from track driving in the wet?! All my race wheels have some of this.

If I was only street driving I'd leave the wheels exactly as delivered.

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Apart from the prohibition on slicks, I am pretty sure the Cup runs 18" wheels; part of my personal basis for doubting the superiority of the 20s or higher.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ah I understand now.

Sure, again, make yourself happy.

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you are correct, they're 18s. for some reason I thought the 991 Cup went to 19s.