Thoughts on Prosche 944, 944T series | FerrariChat

Thoughts on Prosche 944, 944T series

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Meister, Feb 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Have been thinking about a getting a 944 of some sort as I've always liked the body style. I'm just looking for a comfy, easy to own, reasonably priced GT car for summer commuting, weekends, etc. I know they are fairly common but I'm still like them.
    Just wondering if anyone has/do own one? What they think of the car, maintenance, etc.. Power doesn't mean much to me, just looking for comfort and usability while a little style.
    I've noticed a lot of the cars for sale have pretty high miles. Which tells me they get used and are pretty dependable....?
    Any thoughts would be great!

2. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I have owned a 944t since 1996 and love it. It is pretty reliable, but there are certain things that are prone to go wrong with them. The timing belt needs to be changed as Porsche reccommends. The engine is an interference engine and you will bend valves if the belt breaks. Clutch hydraulics are a common failure as the car gets miles on it. Not too expensive or hard to do though. The turbo has a oilcooler and seals on this can fail allowing coolant to mix with the engine oil. A clutch replacement is like a 10 hour job. You probably can figur about 1000 dollars a year for maintenance on a turbo. I think the ultimate 944 is the 88 turbo s or 89 turbo. If you get one that has been taken care of, I think you would really enjoy the car. This site has a lot of good info:
    www.clarks-garage.com

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I know that there is a difference in gearing and trans strength between the turbo and regular 944... is there also a difference in the suspension/brakes?

I just found a 944 fairly close and I'm going to look at it on saturday. It's a blk/tan 88, looks like it needs a little work but that's fine. I'd probably want to update some stuff anyway.

For some reason the early ones 82-83(?) don't really apeal to me... it seems about 85-86 they started to look a little better. Maybe it's just the bigger wheels but I was curious if there was a year in which the previous ones were not as good and those that followed were a big improvement?

Thanks

4. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

No one has nit-picked you yet, so here is the obligatory speech.

T, for Porsche, has always meant Targa. There were no 944Ts, they did make a 944 Turbo which you will almost always see written out or written as a "951" with is exactly the same thing as "944 Turbo."

The year of the change anyway is 1985.5. They switched not only the exterior but the interior. The pre 1985.5 944s had a very 924ish looking interior, ie nice and blocky. The 1985.5+ have a better, more rounded, interior.

Yes there is a difference between the 951 and the 944 concerning possible suspension. The 951 could have an LSD and IIRC had a better suspension standard in general and had better brakes, and obviously a lot more horsepower.

Personal recommendation would be to go for a Turbo and ignore the normal 944s. An 85, 86 or 87 Turbo would be good. a Turbo S would be better. I don't personally like the S or S2. Though the later S2 has almost as much power as the turbo (less torque IIRC).

5. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    They look great parked next to a 40ft Yatch. :D

6. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004
    I have an 89 turbo(which is considered an S but the letter S got dropped after 88). Anyways here is my take on the car. Mine started off as a street car and turned into a track beast which is no longer street legal. I have gone through about every cost imaginable on this car after tracking it so if you have specific questions about cost I can def help you out. If you can spend the extra cash get an 88 turbo S or an 89 because you will end up getting more hp, lsd, and several other upgraded goodies. YESUD is right about the maintnance, make sure you can get records of service to see if the timing belt was done and other parts were kept up to date. When taken care of they are reliable but if you find one without service records just let it pass. If you are looking for a fun car with a lot of tuneability this is it. With a simple chip/boost controler/exhaust you can keep up with some of todays fastest cars and that is not an exageration. If you are so inclinded you can upgrade her some more with new turbos and other goodies and hurt vipers and other supercars. I have eaten up vipers 911 turbos and z06s on several occasions but the car is heavily modded. You will also enjoy the 50/50 weight distribution which makes this car very forgiving compared to other p-cars. I think it makes for a wonderful all around car for the price. If you want I will keep my eyes open for a nice example. If I find one, I will send you a PM

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Thanks for the great input! That site has a lot of great info too.

Is the 968 a quantum leap in the series? I notice they are a lot rarer.

8. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
  9. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA

10. Adrift

Adrift Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Dallas area
    Find the April issue of Excellence. It has a short description of each 944 variant (incl 968s), and a price guide.

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    A 944, if in perfect shape, is a cool car. But it is EXTREMELY slow when accellerating. A really nice one ought to fetch 6k$ or so...

A 944 turbo is another animal altogether. I had an '86, in decent shape, paid 5-6k$ a couple of years ago, 100k miles or so, with lots of wear an tear. But boy, was that a fun car. Handles great, relatively quick, great bang for the buck. The problem though, is that it isn't worth fixing. My turbo started to go/leak, sold it to the next guy for what I paid for it...he was going to "upgrade" it.

Very cool car, actually liked it more than some of the early 911's...

12. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
  13. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    The turbo's will be considerably more to maintain from what i have heard. If you're not counting on the acceleration, a regular 944 would be just fine and be less to maintain- in fact the handling is so good especially given the power, you could wind that thing out and have a blast and still be below 100mph. It's kind of strange, but I still find a non-turbo 944 to be one of the best looking cars from the dead on angle....and to think the 944 look (924, but with wider fenders and integrated fog lights/spoiler) is now 23 years old! Still looks fresh to me :)

I don't know what an IIRC is...the turbo has beefed up suspension, but not a major redesign as far as I know. There were revisions to the suspension from mid year of the 1985 model ("1985.5") however, along with the interior update.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I agree about the design, not only of 944's but of my 308 and many other cars as well. I don't believe that design is a constantly improving propostion...it continues to change but not always for the better. Some of the best designs cars, buildings, clothes...were hit upon years ago and newer isn't always better.

15. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Bah, Just because the only Porsche to ever actually be named 9XXT had the T meaning Touring means nothing :p. That would be my story and I'll kindly get off the stage before the rotten fruit shows up.

16. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Just to clairify- there were changes to the suspension of the base 944 from 1985.5 and on vs. the 1983-first half of 1985, along with the interior change.

The turbo added the turbo/intercooler (obviously), as well as upgraded suspension, brakes, and differently designed front spolier, and rear lower valence. The turbo was some car in it's day, and still is pretty decent. The 944 was the benchmark for handling for the first few years of its existence- took a long time for the competition to catch up.

Today, a 944 would be a great buy- yes many have high mileage, but you can still find the low mileage sorted out cream puff for well under $10K. If I had the garage space (and a few extra bucks), I'd have one (along with a ferrari of course, and a lime green VW bug coupe from the late 1960's :) )

17. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Just having a little fun, my friend ;)

18. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think that they are cheap to buy, but don't get behind on the maintenance. I much rather pick a nice 944 then a 968, but that is just me.

19. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I always liked the body style too. I was never a fan of the bath tub look.

20. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    You must follow theses 3 steps to see if you have the right personallity for a Porsche.
    #1 take a $100 bill out of your wallet
    #2 Light it on fire
    #3 if you didn't flinch your ready to own a 944 turbo
    if you did flinch repete steps 1 & 2 until you pass step 3. GOOD LUCK!!

21. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've gone through that procedure many times with the 308 =)

22. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    Owned a 944 then bought a 944 turbo( 7 yrs of ownership with these models) both great cars fantastic balance nearly 50:50 . Turbo is the one to go for has more go but also more maintenance needed it can also be modified easily up to about 300bhp making it a v fast car. Have also owned a 911 carrera 3.2 and I think that the 944 turbo has more usable power and better handling than the 911 of the same vintage. I still miss the turbo but have to say the 308 gt4 I sold it for has more character but is not a daily driver that the Porsche is.

23. rmgaiss

rmgaiss Rookie

Feb 15, 2005
    Lake City, FL
    I've own an 83 that I bought for the girlfriend for about $2500 to keep her out of my other toys. I also have a 944S that I really like. I would go for the 944S. It has good performance and the maintenance is not too bad. I would not touch a turbo. Too costly.

24. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I had a '88 944S and a '95 968 Cabriolet. 968 is a very different car. I liked the 944S better. It's lighter, more nimble, less refined, more fun. Maintenance costs are similar. (high) Timing belts & motor mounts must be replaced every five years. Water pumps are a common issue.

Well put together and very reliable.

IMHO

25. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I've had a few, have an '86 951 now that was my DD for a while but am going to sell as I have too many toys.

Pros: Great fun to drive, great handling car, turbo is very peppy, good gas mileage (~30mpg).

Cons: Underpowered (non-turbo and pre s2/968), expensive parts, electrical system is **** (and Porsche wiring diagrams have their own special corner in hell).

I really like them and am having a hard time parting with the 951. We race a 944 in chumpcar and it's been pretty good reliability wise, and we beat the piss out of it.