McQueen Porsche sold for 1.95 Million | FerrariChat

McQueen Porsche sold for 1.95 Million

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by FTanner, Aug 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The Steve McQueer Porsche turbo that he owned for all of like 4 years along with something like 5 or 6 other owners sold for 1.95 million.
    Maybe I should have titled this thread, " A fool and his money are soon parted." They didn't even list the mileage of this car. Personally, I could give a rats ass that it was owned by an actor. People are really strange as to what they hold in high esteem.

2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    +1

3. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    2 milion dollars, that's double what a well restored car is making!

4. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Steve McQueen and co-driver Peter Revson finished first in class and second overall at the 1970 Sebring 12 Hours driving a Porsche 908/2 prepared by McQueen's Solar Productions.
    Racing a 3 liter car, they missed winning by 23 seconds to the world-class team of Mario Andretti/Ignazio Giunti/Nino Vaccarella driving a 5 liter works Ferrari 512 S prepared by Scuderia Ferrari.
    McQueen had broken his foot two weeks prior and drove the whole race in a plaster cast.

See also 1964 International 6 Day Trials (motorcycles), US Team roster
    See also Baja 1000, Mint 400, Elsinore Grand Prix
    See also a little movie featuring Porsches entitled Le Mans

McQueen had serious credentials as a racer both on 2 wheels and 4.

He was a noted collector of cars, motorcycles and airplanes.

As an actor he was the biggest box office star in the world in his heyday in the 1960s and 1970s. In 1974 he was the highest paid movie star in the world.
    Movie critics and fans nicknamed him The King of Cool.

In terms of a famous name associated with Porsche, it would be hard to come up with someone that more Porsche people and gear heads in general recognized and associated with the marque.

You may find it strange that people will pay more for a car he owned.
    Those people seem to, for some reason or another, be okay with it.

Best Regards,
    Dave

5. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Why are there no pictures of him with the car on the internet? I remember seeing one of him in his 930 ten years or so ago in a motoring magazine, so they do exist.

6. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Edit: Nevermind, what do I know, hope the owner think it's worth it.

7. Unless the auction house was bidding, there was at least another bidder behind him. Maybe they were buying each other drinks? lol. I can see some extra value for a Steve Mcqueen car, but nothing like that. A crazy world we live in.

8. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The original selling price thoughts were that the McQueen car would hammer for ten times the value of a "regular 930". And they assumed a regular version to be about $100k. However they are off as in today's market a regular 930 is nearly $200k in many cases. So... 10 X $200k = $2M.

God Bless America.

9. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    All I can say is WOW. New owner paid 200K for the car and 1.75 million for a story....crazy world

10. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    The money went to charity. Or at least some of it.

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Well said.

Someone paid $6 million for "the pope's Enzo" that wasn't even owned by the pope.

At least that was only 2.5 times a 'normal' Enzo.

12. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    interesting to contemplate: When the McQueen Lusso sold a few years back for >$2M, everyone marveled at the $2.3X which was ~3-4X going range in '11, everyone was shocked at the 'celebrity premium,' paid for an otherwise unremarkable (and brown) car. But this is 6-7-8X the price of a comparable Turbo Carrera, for a car you could argue was less significant to Steve. Irrespective of the head scratching around the incredible appreciation of Turbo Carreras, (not complaining as the owner of a car ~20 serial digits from STeve's!) Why the increase in the 'celebrity' premium paid???

Edit: actually the charity angle may be more of the explanation than is credited...

13. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Charity angle, plus the McQueen mystique appeals to a much broader market than just Porsche enthusiasts or car enthusiasts.

14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There was one bidder on this car from what I could tell. Dana Mecum convinced the Seller to lift reserve after the bid.

15. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Agreed but my point was why would there be an _increase_ in the 'McQueen mystique' premium since 2011 when his Lusso sold. The Lusso was 2-3X more than the average 250 L while this is 7-10X value of a TC. Weird.

16. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Guys my age have no connection to Steve McQueen and have likely never seen one of his movies or 1-2 at best. I don't see the allure of that provenance continuing long term.

17. kouwenhoven

kouwenhoven Karting

Oct 2, 2014
    Where were you guys when his racing suit sold for one million dollar, his watch for 800.000 dollar and a jacket he wore in the Bullit movie also for 800.000? Not that I think it's worth it but we could have seen it coming...

Erik

18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very true.

19. tonypeoni

tonypeoni Karting

Aug 14, 2006
    #19 tonypeoni, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    so I guess that means McQueen > Pope.

;)

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This. Didn't his sunglasses bring $70,000 a few years back as well?

Interesting perspective. I think McQueen is a little before my time as well, so wouldn't write a blank check for his cars.

I don't know... probably (?) the current mania for classic cars just amplified the appeal of the provenance. Porsche 930s are still cheap relative to Lussos or Jag XK-SS, and his Speedster and 911S aren't for sale, so again someone with more money than he knows what do with saw a rare opportunity and wasn't all that concerned.

McQueen also owned a bunch of trucks, according to Matt Stone's book. Wonder what a banged up, rusty 1970s Ford pickup would bring if McQueen had owned it.