Took some photos of my 993... | FerrariChat

Took some photos of my 993...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by gtgoff, Aug 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gtgoff

gtgoff Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Garrett Tyler Goff
    #1 gtgoff, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Great looking car. I've always been a fan of the earlier air-cooled cars, and have toyed with the water-pumpers lately as a DD, but a recent air cooled get together reminded me of what great cars the 993s are, too. Oddly, it's the only generation of 911 I haven't driven.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #3 Bullfighter, Aug 24, 2015
    I had a 993, triple black, and miss it. Great cars, last of the really compact 911s, terrific engine sound, and built like the proverbial German bank vault.

Ferrari never built anything this tight and solid.

Of course your photos are slightly better...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. gtgoff

gtgoff Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Garrett Tyler Goff
    steveintoronto: You really must drive one - they're amazing! I suspect the driving experience isn't quite as "pure" as the earlier cars (particularly comparing my AWD C4S to the earlier ones) but they're truly wonderful and it's an occasion to drive it anywhere.

Bullfighter: Interesting to hear. I've still never even driven or ridden in a Ferrari (don't know many owners in the Bay Area) but I'd hoped they would be as solid-feeling (albeit with lighter-weight components, I'm sure).

5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I will second that. While my 348 is tons of fun and seems to always beg for at least 8/10s, the solidity of the build and the planted feel of my 993 are just incredible. My Cayman S, while close, didn't feel THAT solid.

Love 993s...quickly becoming my favorite all around car

6. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    #6 haroonok, Aug 25, 2015
  7. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Huge fan. I was recently toying with the idea of adding a 993 ...

8. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Love 993's also - have a '97 Carrera I bought new and 19 years later still can't get over how well built it is...Ferrari's would cost triple their current prices if they were any where near as well built and engineered...

9. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ferrari went body-on-frame up through the 328, which has an old school kind of heft and "coach-built coolness" to it, but you just don't get the tightness you get with unit-body construction (which Porsche had back in the 356 era...) Now the cars are built to be light, so the old bank vault construction of the 993 isn't feasible even for Porsche. I remember my first ride in a 360 back when those were new, and the door felt like it was made of paper.

The other aspect is the interior. After the 308, Ferrari interiors became a bit cheap and gimmicky, with bits that get sticky with age (348 and later) or simply fall apart. The leather is fragile, top-dyed stuff, orange gauge lettering fades, etc.

I love the classic Ferraris, especially the 308 GTS, but the 993 is much better designed and assembled. I remember the trim along the very bottom of the 993 looking incredibly neat and tightly fit. The gaps/tolerances on contemporary Ferraris aren't close to that.

I also remember my first drive in a 996 and thinking it was a catastrophic slide from Porsche. Still do, actually.

10. gtgoff

gtgoff Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Garrett Tyler Goff
    Bullfighter: Interesting. Is the 360 still good enough to be worth buying? In my case, the thought is to not sell the 993 but rather add on another car. Particularly if the additional car is non-depreciating (which I expect the 360 to be), then I need it to be good but not necessarily great.

11. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I drove my 993 TT S to work today and I was just saying to myself what an amazing piece of machinery the car is. For a car that is 20 years old, she gets up and goes, stops on a dime, and handles like a dream. Even the AC isn't bad. If Porsche re-released the 993 tomorrow, I would be first in line to buy one.

12. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    Hey Gtgoff,
    Your in my neck of the woods, live in the east bay have a business in SF. Cars and coffee on treasure Island, have you ever been? First sat of each month. Nice looking C4 in those shots! The car helps the bridge look even better��.

13. gtgoff

gtgoff Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Garrett Tyler Goff
    Hi Jonack, indeed - I try to go there at least every couple of months. Do you go often?

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not a bad car, just different than the 993. The market right now is kind of frothy, so I think all 360s are due to fall a bit, but the Modena (coupe) is certainly a good car and still available for less-than-328 money.

One catch is that I don't think the F1 gearbox in the 360s is all that good (and the market doesn't like them), so if a used 458 isn't doable I'd look for a 360 or F430 (better car) with the three-pedal manual. Unfortunately everyone seems to agree, so F1-equipped cars are taking a beating relative to gated six-speeds.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Especially noteworthy as F1 tranny was a $10k option!

16. Peace Frog

Peace Frog Formula Junior

Apr 5, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Chad Denning
    #16 Peace Frog, Sep 3, 2015