The end of the normally aspirated 911 is upon us! | FerrariChat

The end of the normally aspirated 911 is upon us!

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Sep 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #1 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Porsche 911 turbo future | Evo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm glad I got a NA 911, but the little machine below leads me to believe Porsche engineers can do just fine with turbos! ;)
    [​IMG]
    Those vertical louvers, though, I'm not a fan of the styling from rear. I would have to start backing in to my parking spot at PCA event if I bought a 991.2...T

3. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I'm really saddened by this whole turbo movement among manufacturers.

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Turbo movement? 1979 was the intro of the 911 Turbo and it's an icon. Some of the greatest Porsches of all time had turbos, 917. 956. 962. 959. 919. Other than the GT versions of the 911, THE 911 to have was clearly the Turbo, and for a street GT car I'd still rather have the turbo. In fact, other than the GT versions, I wouldn't have a NA 911.

Bring on the turbos, I say.

5. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    Personally, I like the design and is a nice refresh. Like the 488, not sold on the turbo(s), yet!

6. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Surely you're aware of the mandatory emissions that must be met by manufacturers causing them to go away from NA engines. This is what I meant by "movement". Its not so much that they've chosen turbo because they think its the better engine for their sports cars, its because they have been forced to do so.

Ferrari, for one, has stated they do not like turbos. If they had their way, the 488 would be NA.

If you ask 10 petrol heads which engine they would prefer, NA or turbo, I bet 7/10 say NA. In fact, there was actually a poll in the 458 section and something like 78% chose NA.

I think turbos sound like crap... thus taking away from part of the experience.

7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Great news. The 991.2S is at 996TT power levels.

Thanks for posting up the diagram for the i/c airflow, I wondered how it worked.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Good point. I just noticed the pics do not show side air intakes like on the current turbo. I wonder if that is what necessitated the changes to the rear?
    Btw, what's i/c?
    T

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    The alternative is easy; less power and trade sound over ultimate performance. A harder alternative is less weight, but most petrolheads don't seem to care about that.

Horsepower is king; look how the bloated Hellcat has sold! And I confess I like the fat cat, just not quite enough as I know I'd get tired of it.

Now that I think about it, even my cars that started out NA are often forced induction. I like my GT3, but my wife drove it and said its wimpy and she prefers her 997TT.

I think it's more than just emissions, it's total power output and forced induction has been the go-to method even for the aftermarket. The uber power milers run Gallardo TTs, Twin turbo Ford GTs and GTRs.

If you really want NA you have to consider a lower power car or another brand. I bet Cayman stays NA for a while and Huracan is still NA and Z06 has NA sound due to supercharger.

Or just buy used. It's cheaper to boot

Time marches on and for a change I welcome turbos. I love the sounds of the impeller spinning at 50,000 rpm or more, the wastegate chuffing on lift throttle and with a low restriction exhaust plenty gets through. The F40 was a sweet sounding car.

Exhaust noise is really wasted power and if some of that gets recycled by the turbo I am fine with that

10. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I'm all for that. Would love a Singer, for example. I actually wish Porsche or Ferrari would do this. 2800lbs and 500 NA HP...yes please!

And its not just sound for me. The linearity and feel is part of the package.

But really, I think you should let me drive that F40 in case I'm wrong about this whole debate. ;)

11. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Even earlier than that. The 911 Turbo (930) first went on sale in '75. I think I have that old issue of C&D around here someplace.

911s have been turbocharged since the Ford Administration.

The current shift to turbos lets these companies achieve the same peak power while eking out better economy/emissions (same thing) in the part-throttle drive cycle. If foreign governments would give up on the displacement tax shelters maybe somebody would take the SBC approach, but that's not going to happen.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ironically, it does kind of kill the Turbo as the best of the street 911s.

13. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I loved almost all of the 997 models and never wanted any of the 991s.

I'm just happy we still have access to a large line-up of secondhand cars giving us what some of us are missing in the new cars.

14. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I think there is a decent chance the Cayman GT4RS gets the 475 hp 3.8 once the GT3 gets more turbo hp. Or else the GT3 goes on a big diet to stay NA.

15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The lack of side intakes is why the decklid was revised. I/C = intercooler.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Behold the 911 Turbo Turbo.

Not to be confused with the 911 Turbo Twin Turbo, and the performance version, the 911 Turbo Twin Turbo S PDK. :D

17. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well considering Porsche pioneered the use of turbo chargers in road cars, I'm sure they know what's up

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thank you...T

19. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    So what are they going to call the high powered non GT car since they will all be turbos?

20. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    no need to wish... for a half step there has been a power kit option that boosts the 991 S to 430 hp ( now known also as the GTS )... also the 500hp 4.0 is avail on very special order ( send more money)... sorry the weight stays at current 3400 lbs... a real kick in the grass in GT form...