Breaking: GT3 (RS) manual is coming, the 911R to be unveiled in june | FerrariChat

Breaking: GT3 (RS) manual is coming, the 911R to be unveiled in june

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by kouwenhoven, Oct 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kouwenhoven

kouwenhoven Karting

Oct 2, 2014
    This will be interesting: several Porsche clients here in Europe have confirmed to me that Porsche will deliver 600-800 GT3 cars with manual gearbox to its most loyal buyers. Every dealer is to get 1-3 cars. The name of the car is 911R and it will commemorate 50 years of 911R (1967). The car will have the 3,8 GT3 or the 4,0 GT3 RS engine, but it won't have an abundance of spoilers.The car will have a retro interior and maybe some lightweight parts. Porsche has not communicated the car but all units are sold. The first units will be delivered fall next year, so model year 2017.

more info (in Dutch) www.vierenzestig.nl

Erik

2. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Link doesn't work....

I have been following the speculation over on Rennlist. It is exciting. However, if it is true, I should have dumped my 997 GT3 like my gut told me to. I have the feeling prices are going to soften with this announcement.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sounds like a well-timed, made-to-be-collectible retro-special like the 997 Speedster... Porsche's contribution to the help with the financial tsunami about to be unleashed on VW by angry citizens worldwide.

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Agree and this is great. I'm looking forward to see it.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Wow 911 GT3 RS with a manual...What a car that will be!

Porsche on a roll atm.

6. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It is not an RS at all, its a 911 R commemorative car, much-different from the raw lightweight Rennsport car with full track-aero. As Andreas P says, "there will not be another manual-gearbox RS". The title of this thread is misleading, because of the "RS" inclusion.

7. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Curious why they're doing this. I'm a big manual fan, but if the PDK is faster in every aspect, why offer a true manual for a track car like the GT3?

8. osu_s2k

osu_s2k Karting

Jun 22, 2013
    Midwest
    I think the demand for such a car will be high, even higher than some of the RS variants, there are a lot of porsche enthusiasts who do not track regularly. I would be more interested in this than newest gt3....however, with world production numbers under 1000...it will be in high demand. Sounds a bit like a factory singer.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think it's probably more appropriate to think of this car as a hard core GTS than a GT3 (or maybe something halfway between a GTS and GT3, but with a manual).

at any rate, sounds like it's going to be a great car.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Its not a GT3.

OP's post was misleading.

Its more of a GTS with a manual as GuyIncognito correctly points out.

11. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    So this wont be an RS at all, but maybe something much better in many peoples eyes........... What a 997 Sport Classic should have been? Yes, as someone said a factory style Singer concept thing.

I am imagining a Lighter than GT3RS car with no rear wheel steering and a manual. Even more raw inside. RS Engine please.

Carbon buckets and other LTW bits , HOPING FOR TARTAN INSERTS just to make sure its retro enough.

Aero to be minimalistic but im hopeful a ducktail is included. Just my wishlist. Oh and throw in some old fashioned mechanical steering up front. Call it whatever you want, but if its this kind of a serious R throwback then they should be shooting for this.

Imagine?

12. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    From what I read, it will look aggressive a la GT3/GT3 RS sans the aero and spoilers. Manual transmission but suited for day to day driving with exhilaration.

13. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander

14. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    PORSCHE ONLY BUILT 20 911R - ultra lightweight pre original RS car -- why on earth would they consider naming a new generation and supplying into US when we don't even get clubsport options thru US regs for the GT3 & GT3RS... wonder what the anniversary ST & TR editions will be ??

I'm going to wait for the 50th Anniversary RS edition - now that will be real special and I'm suggesting to Porsche only 73 RS owners are allowed to buy ...

15. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Oh, I was a bit confused. It would be cool to see a GT3 with a proper manual 'box but I guess that's probably not going to happen. Interested to see what they put under the hood of this though.

16. jgcferrari

jgcferrari Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 21, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jose
    The 911R will have the 4 Liter 500HP engine of the RS but with a manual gearbox, it is not a GTS, it will be a full RS on a lighter body and a manual box!

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

well, let's what comes...

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Lots of pure speculation here as we saw with the tales of the 991 GT3 RS being a manual.

Meanwhile, I fixed your post above :)

19. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Singer has had an impact on Porsche's soul, it seems.

Exciting times. Porsche is indeed on a roll at the moment, as another poster duly noted. We are truly in a golden age for this brand.

20. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    A non spoilered, no stickered up MANUAL 911 with a GT3 (or RS) motor.

If they make more than 3 and normal buyers can get one what effect will this have on 997 GT3 and RS values...?

21. kouwenhoven

kouwenhoven Karting

Oct 2, 2014
    Exactly, that's what it is. Joe wants to talk this car down to a GTS with some extras, but this car will be a GT3 RS for people that don't do trackdays every week (so 95% of the buyers of these cars)

Erik

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It sounds like Joe is right -- it's a commemorative "911R", thus the "retro interior" and retro gearbox.

The non-track version of the GT3 RS is called the "911".

I don't think Porsche would come out with a slower version of the GT3 RS. Even the Cayman GT4 just got a PDK-equipped Clubsport version for competitive track use.

23. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    The original R was a race car (back when you could put plates on a race car) - so if Porsche chooses to use that handle, maybe it'll at least be decent?

24. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    the original GTS was a race car to.....won't be a race car.

25. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    The have the VW financial mess to pay for.