928 GT belt change | FerrariChat

928 GT belt change

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Countachqv, Oct 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    What costs to expect for changing the timing belt on a 928 GT? Does this mean also doing the waterpump?
    Any potential can of worms doing this?
    I realize the cost may vary by region. I am thinking primarily of the North east and Virginia
    thanks.

2. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Should be about $1,500-2,000 for belts and pump.

3. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    thks a lot. I have a friend who is selling his 928 GT manual, 1990 and the car is due for a belt. car is 90K miles. He is thinking of giving a credit to the buyer for it or getting it done. That is why I asked

4. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Great car but IMHO the clutch is super heavy. Back in the days I had 5 friends owning 928s, all models from S, S4 and GT. For me the GT is awesome but for a DD the S4 matic wins.

5. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Always worth doing the water pump while replacing belt. Clutch is about same heaviness as a 328. I love my S4, but the GT is lighter and so much more alive. Congrats on a smart purchase.
    Most glitches can be traced to relays and swapping them out. Solid cars and running gear is bombproof if properly maintained.

6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He should do the pump and timing belt prior to sale to maximize value.

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I never found the clutch to be any heavier than other cars of the period.

8. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    In my experience, the only reason the 928S4 clutch would be 'heavy' is when the release bearing guide tube is misaligned to the release bearing, which can happen if the guide tube is incorrectly installed, loose, or damaged, or when the arm pivot bushing is so worn that the arm hangs loosely on the ball stud, such that the bearing binds on the guide tube when the arm tries to move the bearing.

One particular example I restored was notoriously "heavy" before restoration, and after replacing the severely damaged guide tube and properly aligning it, the clutch was silky smooth and required maybe 1/3 the pedal force as it did before.

In all cases, I always replace the pivot bushing and even the ball stud (if it's worn), upgrading to the later, larger diameter ball stud, if the car doesn't already have it.